The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 12, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
chaynes

Are gun safes considered accessories?

I'm looking for a good gun safe. Doesn't have to be huge, i'd like to hold 3-4 rifles / shotguns and a few pistols and some ammo. Anyone know of any great deals out there? Don't need any fancy touch pads, but would like for it to be large enough that if someone breaks in they won't be able to get to my arsenal.

thanks!
Old January 15, 2008, 12:06 PM   #2
xcop

"safe"

Large doesnt have a thing to do with resistance to entry. You need to state what you are willing to spend as "gun safes" can run into many thousands of dollars and protection varies considerably.
Old January 15, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
GLP Standard

I'm in the same boat, as Im looking for a small gun safe (something that will hold a few rifles, with lots of shelf space. I dont have much money to spend (right now, I dont have ANY money to spend, but when it comes time, It wont be more than $200) I know you cant really get too safe of a "safe" for that much, but I just want something to lock up my AR-15 with plenty of shelf room for a couple handguns and some other random accessories.

Dont have much experience with them, but Stack-On seems to make decent gun safes for the money in many different price ranges. I really like this one
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...afes&noImage=0
but its a little too pricey for my bank account, and has more space than ill ever need.
Old January 15, 2008, 12:28 PM   #4
oldmaster111

Stack-On makes a useful cabinet but as you can see, it only weighs 135# so you would want a place where you could secure it to a wall or the floor.
Old January 15, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Magnum Mike

First off! I do not consider those, as safes! More like a cabinet to keep kids out of! May work also to help keep honest people honest. Always buy a bigger safe then you need. You will find out later it's not big enough! Liberty makes some nice safes but you will have to spend more! I like some thing with some type of fire rating to put important things in. I store my tax papers in mine which means I can write some of it off! Just my $.02 worth!
Old January 16, 2008, 02:34 PM   #6
odsixer

I bought a 14-gun stack on and it's great for the price but at 300lbs it's the biggest one I wanted to tackle getting in my basement. My next home is going to have some sort of vault built into the basement since I don't think it matters how big your safe is it never seems big enough.