The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 3, 2013, 09:45 PM   #1
soggy000

Condition 1

Quick question.

My primary CCW is a Sig p238 which is always cocked and locked. I was wondering if I should unload the weapon and release the hammer when not actively caring it? Is there any long-term risk or damage potential in leaving it consistently in condition 1?

I know the weapon has a safety feature that blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled, so it's not some unexpected discharge that I'm concerned about. I'm more interested in knowing if continuous condition 1 can impact longevity or other components of the weapon.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:04 PM   #2
RickB

If you carry the gun regularly, and don't really have to unload it, I'd just leave it cocked and locked. In general, springs wear from cycling them, not from leaving a static load on them, so if your concern is that you want to "rest" the springs, I wouldn't unload and reload the gun every day for that reason. You are not really wearing anything by leaving it loaded.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Technosavant

Even unloading and decocking the pistol will not take all the tension off the springs.

Leaving it cocked and locked won't hurt it at all.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:06 PM   #4
drail

None of the springs in your gun are being stressed anywhere near their elastic limits. The only spring that will wear out in the gun is the recoil spring and eventually the firing pin spring. Buy spares. Magazine springs will also wear out if used a lot or if left fully compressed for a long time in a high cap double stack magazine. Those springs are being compressed very near or even past their elastic limits. Single stack magazines do not stress the spring enough to weaken it when left fully loaded (with the exception of "extra capacity" mags like a flush fit 8 round .45 mag.)
Old March 3, 2013, 11:10 PM   #5
soggy000

That's great stuff guys, thanks for the help.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Dan-O

I'd be more worried about potential bullet setback if you're constantly loading and unloading the firearm.