The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2002, 12:27 AM   #1
coonan357

problems with OAL specs In .45 Acp

the specs in the midway Map book for the 185 gr HDY XTPHp shows an OAL of 1.269 , for some unknown reason the round will not feed into my PAra Ord LDA it jams on the ramp . does anyone have a hornaday book for the OAl listing on this?? its a 7.5 gr 231 win load .. I think maybe the OAL is too long . Any opinions or advice??

coonan

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old July 8, 2002, 03:09 AM   #2
rg1

Hornady 4th Edition lists O.A.L. at 1.230". This is what I've seated them to in Colts and Glock and have had no problems with feeding. HOWEVER, 7.5 grains of 231 listed in the Midway LoadMap is on the "hot" side. If you seat the bullets deeper with this charge of 231 it could be way too much pressure and be dangerous. Hornady 4th Edition manual uses Hornady cases and Fed 150 primers and lists 6.3 grains of win 231 as Maximum. Lyman 47th edition list O.A.L. at 1.175" but a Maximum charge of 6.1 grains of win 231. Lyman uses Fed cases and CCI300 primers.
I have found the Midway 45 ACP LoadMap to be very accurate when you use their data with the components they use. Don't know why they chose a long seating length on 185 grain bullets?
I'd highly recommend that if you choose to seat the 185 grain XTP deeper in the case that you pull the bullets and dump the powder and start over at a lower powder charge. Seating the bullets deeper on an already hot load could be dangerous as pressure could be very high.
Old July 8, 2002, 03:09 AM   #3
rg1

Hornady 4th Edition lists O.A.L. at 1.230". This is what I've seated them to in Colts and Glock and have had no problems with feeding. HOWEVER, 7.5 grains of 231 listed in the Midway LoadMap is on the "hot" side. If you seat the bullets deeper with this charge of 231 it could be way too much pressure and be dangerous. Hornady 4th Edition manual uses Hornady cases and Fed 150 primers and lists 6.3 grains of win 231 as Maximum. Lyman 47th edition list O.A.L. at 1.175" but a Maximum charge of 6.1 grains of win 231. Lyman uses Fed cases and CCI300 primers.
I have found the Midway 45 ACP LoadMap to be very accurate when you use their data with the components they use. Don't know why they chose a long seating length on 185 grain bullets?
I'd highly recommend that if you choose to seat the 185 grain XTP deeper in the case that you pull the bullets and dump the powder and start over at a lower powder charge. Seating the bullets deeper on an already hot load could be dangerous as pressure could be very high.
Old July 9, 2002, 07:17 PM   #4
coonan357

Thanks Rg , now to pull and dump..

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!