The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 22, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1
rentascout

Laser bore sighting

Okay as some of you remeber I just got my weatherby 300. I am using remington 180 Core-lokt, I just got a laser bore light and only have 25 yards to use.

I was going to go the normal 1.5 low from the laser to offset the scope, but figured since some have been telling me to go 2-3 high for point of impact at 100, what could I do at 25 to help me get there now. I do not have a range close and I wish I could shoot in my backyard.

I also have a 243 30-30 and marlin 60 I am getting sighted in as well and all of them I have set the scope 1.5 inches lower than the beam

The 22 I will use for small game, and the 3030 I will not shoot farther than 100 yards anyways.

The 243 and 300 is what I am concerned with the 243 I am using federall 100 grain sp.

One site says that my round will intersect at 25 and 200 meters so if I go point of aim point of impact at 25 with boresight I should be center mass at 200, correct.

Someone help me out I am bored and cannot go shoot
Old September 22, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always used my Mark I eyebone to boresight, centering some object out around a hundred yards in the bore and tweaking the scope to match.

What I've found through the years is that any conventional bolt action with a low set of rings/bases, dead on at 25 yards is generally about two to three inches high at 100 yards and within a couple of inches sideways.

I've always zeroed all my deer rifles for two inches high at 100, which is right at dead on at 200. Maybe 225 for magnums. Six inches low at 300, and maybeso around five inches for the hotshots.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
jmr40

The laser will only get your 1st shot on paper at 25 yards, at least hopefully. You will be lucky if it is within 3-4" of where you aim. You still need to actually shoot your rifle at all ranges that you might shoot at game to determine where it is actually hitting. There are no shortcuts.

The idea is to use the laser to get it close enough so you actually hit the target with the 1st shot. I'd boresight so I was as close to the bullseye as possble at 50 yards. Fire a shot and adjust the scope. Then move on to 100 yards. Fire 1-3 shots and adjust the sights to impact where you want it to hit. Sounds like you want 1.5-2" higher than where you are actually aiming at 100 yards. You then move on to 200, 300, 400, etc. You have to actually shoot at those ranges and see what happens and make notes on how low, or high your bullets are impacting compared to where you are aiming. Many guys make a cheat sheet, laminate it and tape it to their stock.

I've found any type of bore sight tool to be useless. I place my rifle on the rest, remove the bolt and look through the barrel. I adjust my scope so the crosshairs are on the same spot the barrel is pointing before firing a shot. Takes about 2 min. These are the 50 yard targets I used to sight in 3 scopes a few weeks ago. This is the 1st shot @ 50 yards using the method I described.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=001-10.jpg

You'll be lucky if a laser gets you that close with the 1st shot.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

The only rifle I use a laser boresight on is my 50 BMG. I use a laserlyte and use a target I made to set the crosshairs 28" high at 100 yards. This puts me within a few inches at 1000. I only do this because every round wasted is atleast a couple dollars up to eight or so. It just gives me an idea of where it will hit... Don't sight it in and expect it to be dead nuts on... But it does work for getting close...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old September 22, 2012, 07:40 PM   #5
wild willy

I would set the 300 and the .243 so the crosshairs and laser meet at 25 that should put you a little high at 100 like Art said. 2 or 3 high at 25 will put you very high at 100.The 30-30 and .22 I would put the laser dot 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch under the cross hairs that should get you close at 75 to 100 yds Like others said you have to shoot at whatever range you plan on using them.I've seen guns that were boresighted at Cabelas and Gander Mountain that were so far off if you had just stuck the scope on and shot them they would have been closer.The one from Cabelas had windage adj. bases and was a foot to the left at 25yds. How could they be that far off?

Last edited by wild willy; September 22, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Mobuck

First, the bore sighter only aligns the bore and scope. The actual bullet strike may or may not match this alignment. The old time way was to hit point of aim at 25 yards to put you on paper at 100 yards for further fine tuning.