The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
customf1

Flashlight placement?

I just bought a tri-rail foreend for my mossberg 500. I want to attached a UTG tactical foregrip to the bottom of the tri-rail foreend pump. The fore grip I bought has a pressure switch housing so I would like to add a flashlight. Does it make sense to mount the pressure sensor flashlight onto the top or side of tri-rail foreend or should the flashlight be mounted somewhere else on the gun?

Old November 2, 2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Mrgunsngear

I'm a big fan of using a thumb activated tailswitch (see above) over a pressure switch, especially on a 12 gauge. Pressure switches, even high end ones, tend to fail....

As to the VFG, be careful about that one. Running a VFG on a pump can unevenly torque the receiver and damage it eventually (see www.aipitactical.com for a better explaination/examples).
Old November 2, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Doesn't placement of a light high and either to the left or right of the barrel tend to block fields of vision?
Old November 2, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

I shoot with both eyes open so I 'look through' it (if you will). I thought it may be an issue as well but then I figured I've shot tons of rounds at work with my PEQ 15 on my AR in a similar position and never even noticed it... same applies here (at least for me). All light positions have pros/cons. Surefire forends make you expose more of yourself when shooting from cover for example. Pros and cons to all, as long as the shooter understands them and trains accordingly they can all work.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:51 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

I was thinking that a two eye shooter would see through the flashlight, but was only guessing.
Old November 3, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Slopemeno

I played around with light placement on a paintball gun playing night games. Above the bore and sightline is superior from the standpoint of seeing people proned out behind obstacles. A light below the bore casts big shadows.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Pistolgripshotty

Well where ever you decide to put the light make SURE it tightly secure. I've had some that don't work so well like a firefield. Good luck BTW