The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 26, 2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

New to me Hawthorne Warrior

Just found another deal today. Its a HAWTHORNE WARRIOR model M820B

Its a nice little bolt action, tube fed .22 S/L.R

Stock is in great shape for the age, however the barrel is looking really, really ugly. Its original and I like that, but its really ugly/patchy, almost a green tint to whats left. I need to do something about that, depending on what its worth.

I paid 50 dollars. He was asking 100 and bought it a month ago for 100 but he decided he wanted a scoped rifle. I would have paid the 100 honestly, but I had to drive an hour in my gas hog to get it and figured it wasnt worth it if I couldnt talk him down. Its been for sale for a few weeks with no hits so thats how we agreed on 50.

I would like some info and value on it. I cant find hardly anything about it. Best I can find is that it was either made or licensed by Mossberg. I would guess 50s/60s. Thats about all I can tell would like to know more, thank you!

Old January 27, 2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Keepin_Jeepin

bump!!
Old January 28, 2013, 01:19 AM   #3
Keepin_Jeepin

Guess no one knows huh??
Old January 28, 2013, 01:51 AM   #4
roklok

It has some Mossberg looking features. I have only ever seen one other Hawthorne branded rifle, a friend had one in Montana, i used it briefly for PD hunting. I believe it had a detachable mag though.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
gunloony

I cannot tell you anything about your rifle, but can tell you that "Hawthorne" was a trade name used by Montgomery Ward & Co. in the 1960s for their guns and probably other outdoor items. (I still have a Hawthorne shotgun from that period.) Mossberg may well be the manufacturer of the rifle in question, I know the company produced guns for other retailers.

FWIW you might consider posting this in the "Firearms Research" forum - the guys there seem to be pretty sharp on identifying "whatsits?"
Old January 29, 2013, 01:09 AM   #6
sc928porsche

Department stores sold guns back in the day and the manufacturers labled them for the store. One of the best sources I know of to deternine the original manufacturer is World Gun Parts (Numerich).
Old January 29, 2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Keepin_Jeepin

Thats very very interesting. I guess it makes sense though. Fantastic. Good enough for me, I spose it does not really matter.

I am going to go out on a limb and say if its mossberg its not that valueable so there wont be a problem with me spray painting the barrel.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Cowboy_mo

Can't say for sure, but ...

The bolt and safety set up appear identical to the set up on my Mossberg bolt action shotgun inherited from my grandfather.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:54 AM   #9
Keepin_Jeepin

Great, thanks for the info.

Just reblued this thing with the DIY birchwood casey setup. Looks fantastic.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
bigautomatic

Ask and you shall recieve.
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....nce-index.html
Its a Mossy as suspected by the others.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:17 PM   #11
stu925

According to the Blue Book of Gun Values it cross references to a Mossberg 340. I'd say you did alright on that rifle, the old Mossberg .22 rifles have got a pretty good reputation, enjoy it.

Stu
Old June 20, 2013, 05:40 PM   #12
HJP

Hawthorne M820B

This is a great rifle. I have one which my father gave me in 1965.
See below an email exchange with Cheryl at Havlin Sales. Also, Numrich has provided three parts for my restoration project. Your rifle is well worth what you paid and the cost of having a smith reblue it as well...or you can get a reblue kit. A very accurate rifle. I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards using a bench rest and cheap scope....and I'm not a great marksman.

I’m looking for the rear barrel sight complete (not the receiver peep sight) which is a dovetail with notched ramp. It has two mounting screws toward the front of the sight baseplate. The two screw holes in the barrel are on a 5/8” center. I also need the two screws. Is that what yours has? If you can help me with a source for this sight I will be very greatfull.

Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:14 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Help with a restoration

Joe - the 820B was a hybrid - should be a bolt action tube fed model with tube under barrel - this was the old 146B action with the Targo front sights - a shotgun style bead with a 4-footed hood that Mossberg used up on this contract with Wards to "run out the line" - means use up all the old parts sitting around on one of the house brands. That front sight was used ont he 42T and 340TR targo models as well as the 26C and 42T from the late 1930s!

As a result, no one has these front sights - the rear sight should be an elevated sporting barrel sight with a 2-screw attachment in front - also not available anymore unless you find these on eBay - it was used on the 151K, 146BA and 151MC - circa 1954-1959

Numrich has incorrectly ID'd this model as a 340B and that error has been picked up and sent around the forums for years

Wish I had better news - I have the green peg, but the sights issue is best solved on eBay - check once a week and keep in mind that there will be more buyers than sellers out there right now

Cheryl