The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

How to stop an AR15 bolt from cycling with straight blowback .22 conversion?

OK, this is the issue I've got:

AR15 with Atchisson-Ceiner .22 conversion kit - straight blowback design.

The GOAL is to make the action NOT cycle (in the interest of suppressed maximum quietness mainly).

I've tried fashioning a block of wood that sticks in from the ejection port into the small space behind the bolt to just physically prevent rearward movement, then attaching said tiny block of wood to a string hung from the P-rail to keep it handy... But this didn't work - it works its way out - pops out - on the first shot (because of necessity, to fit, it must be of a tapered shape). Besides it would tear up and break eventually. Maybe try to fashion a steel unit instead of wood, I suppose, might work.

Switching to an adjustable-gas op-rod quasi-AR upper won't help either since it's not even using the gas system, but just using the straight blowback design.

I guess one way would be to drill into the bolt from the side and insert a handle which could then be manually held by the hand, but this doesn't seem like a good idea (seems like a good way to tear up your hand).

Anything I'm missing? Any easy way to do this possibly?

Thanks.

If I cannot do it, then the alternative is whole new rifle project (PWS T3 Summit toggle-bolt action), which I'd rather avoid.
Old September 16, 2014, 12:15 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You can easily hold a .22 blowback closed with your hand, but the AR-15 system is so closed in (to keep dirt out, or keep it in??) that the only way I can think of to do what you want is to make/modify a charging handle to eliminate or block the groove so the bolt won't move if the handle is pushed on from the back. That would be pretty awkward for shooting, though, and I don't know how much, if any, damage there might be to the charging handle latch or receiver if the hand or whatever is holding the handle failed to do so.

Jim