The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 24, 2009, 04:04 PM   #26
scottaschultz

From me:
Quote:
It is not up to us to tell make that judgement call for her and determine what is a threat and what isn't.
From peetzakilla:
Quote:
Yes, it really is, or at least it certainly can be.
No, its not! I added the "Walk a mile in their shoes" part after you made your reply. Everyone's life experience is different. You're a rough tough guy who carries a piece and ain't afraid of nuthin', but you simply can not apply your standard of threat universally.

What if she had been raped at some time in the past? Pretty much, all men are a threat at that point. So here is this guy in jeans (he wears jeans at work, he said so in another post) who is all dirty from the dust and approaches her.

If she had maced the OP and he did press charges, she probably would have lost. I agree with that. She was wrong but she was willing to take the chance of being wrong and alive than to be a victim... possibly again.

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 04:12 PM   #27
markj

Wow, a simple event turns into a huge thread. Just re inforces my opinion that there are a lot of whack jobs out there.

Pulled a can of mace? Time to get the corn chips out makes a good dip.

Some folks care about their property in a very un normal fashion, these people are to be left alone and ignored as much as possible. They will scurry off to the nearest car wash and once again return to the happiness only a clean car can give.

I would have offered her 5 bucks so she could get the thing washed and forgot about the entire incident.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:13 PM   #28
Tucker 1371

You could pay a few punk-arse neighbor kids $5 each to go egg her car... not that I'm recommending that but it is an option
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old July 24, 2009, 04:15 PM   #29
Mr. James

I'm looking for the smilies here. If she had been raped, why the hell would she approach and threaten (yes, threaten) the big bad would-be rapist (er, that would be hot, dusty, sweaty Housezealot, who was probably thinking about that first cold beverage). Housezealot wasn't blocking access to her vehicle, as nearly as can be determined; more than that, she was inside a building, the safety and comfort of which she chose to abandon specifically to confront him. This is silliness. Housezealot "threatened" this woman like Poland "threatened" Germany.

The wench is lucky she didn't get maced for her trouble.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old July 24, 2009, 04:15 PM   #30
cracked91

Quote:
What if she had been raped at some time in the past? Pretty much, all men are a threat at that point. So here is this guy in jeans (he wears jeans at work, he said so in another post) who is all dirty from the dust and approaches her.
Wrong. He did not approach her, she approached him, making her the aggressor in the first place.

So this woman who is traumatized from being raped is going to approach a man mowing the lawn and stick a can of mace in his face? No.

This lady was way out of line no matter how you look at it.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:18 PM   #31
Composer_1777

If I got maced I would def call the police, file charges; plus file civil lawsuit. Dumb b**ch. I would not, however, pull a gun on a woman unless she pulled on me.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:25 PM   #32
scottaschultz

OK, I will admit that I am just guessing when it comes to this woman's motivations, just like everyone else. She might have had a bad experience in the past and she definitely didn't like what Housezealot did to her car. Maybe she is just some whacked out looney tunes who shouldn't be out in public in the first place. Who knows?

I will sit back and patiently wait for the next scenario... and there will be a next scenario. This is TFL after all!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 04:25 PM   #33
Eskimo

OHMYGOD this thread is a complete waste of time.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:33 PM   #34
TailGator

Scottaschultz, I don't mean to pile on, but Housezealot mowed a lawn, nothing else. He did not threaten or even approach the woman. She objected to him mowing the lawn when she had her car parked outside and threatened him with her mace.

I don't need permission from the neighbors to mow my lawn, and I don't expect them to object in any way (if it is a decent hour) and certainly not to threaten me over it. And if I hire someone else to mow my lawn, that is still my business.

Housezealot restrained himself, apologized as far as was possible with such an unreasonable person, and de-escalated the situation. It was his option whether to call the police or not, and he elected to be nice to the woman who was extremely rude and threatening - probably to the point of it being a criminal violation. Someone really needs to talk to the woman, but Housezealot probably is not in a position to be the one.

Such an inappropriate response may be cause for a mental health evaluation, so if HZ is in contact with someone who can approach her, great. Otherwise it is over.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:33 PM   #35
Housezealot

like I said there was no thought of drawing down on her, the fact that I was armed didn't even occur to me untill much later, I never really felt threatened, years ago I was standing next to a guy who's girlfriend maced him (over a verbal argument actually) and the little that hit me wasn't that bad, also like many of us here I had the privilage of the CS tent in basic training and even that wasn't near as bad as people think.
now if it had been a couple of big guys that could have maced me, got the best of me and I had no avenue of escape (I have two artificial hips so no ninja flips or wall scaling for me) I definetly would have remebered I was armed.
but more than anything I presented my story becuse I thought it was a good example that you never know what kind of nut you will run into

Last edited by Housezealot; July 24, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:37 PM   #36
MLeake

ScottASchultz...

Where did you get that she felt threatened, and was defending herself? The woman approached the OP, not vice versa. The OP apologized for the dust on the car, and offered to give the woman a heads up prior to mowing the next time.

Considering that to be threatening behavior on the OP's part is going beyond the pale, for useful devil's advocate.

Unless the OP is leaving out some major detail, the woman was totally in the wrong. Also, in your first post, you deliberately broke one of the OP's statements into two parts just so you could make a snide remark about his motivations, which were then eventually refuted by the second portion of his statement only after you tossed in a couple paragraphs excoriating the OP for an intent THAT WAS CLEARLY NOT IN EVIDENCE.

Seriously, that's not devil's advocate, that's almost defamatory.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:45 PM   #37
scottaschultz

Quote:
Where did you get that she felt threatened, and was defending herself?
Maybe from the fact that she came up to him with a can of mace and said, "You don't know who you are messin' with!" I will agree that she probably wasn't defending herself but rather being the aggressor.

Sheesh! Someone needs to switch to decaf... and maybe its me!

If you have an interesting experience and don't really care about what people think about it, then DON'T POST IT ON THE INTERNET!

Next case!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 04:46 PM   #38
MLeake

Having differing opinions is one thing...

Selectively quoting somebody in order to support theory or facts not in evidence is something else entirely.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:47 PM   #39
Housezealot

Quote:
Selectively quoting somebody in order to support theory or facts not in evidence is something else entirely.
it's called politics isn't it?
or mabey mainstream journalism.
speaking of which, scott, I swear I went to broadcasting school with a scott that seemed to play devils advocate exactly like you. if you lived in michigan I would swear you were him
Old July 24, 2009, 04:53 PM   #40
stargazer65

I have to say, this thread made my day. I'm sorry if it was meant to be serious, but the direction it went with all the misunderstanding just made me bust a gut! I don't know if I can watch anyone mow the lawn with a straight face right now.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:53 PM   #41
scottaschultz

No, I got my degree in Telecommunications (the fancy word for broadcasting) from Indiana University... a long time ago!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 04:56 PM   #42
Housezealot

man I called that one! well... sorta
Old July 24, 2009, 04:59 PM   #43
scottaschultz

Of course I don't do anything even closely related to broadcasting any more. Like so many things in the past, "It was a good idea at the time!"

Hey, its the Internet. No one takes this place seriously!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 05:07 PM   #44
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Quote:
How did you pose a threat to her? She doesn't know you from Adam and you got her car dirty. She had no way of knowing that you work for your family business (see, I do read other posts!) and was just doing what your boss (most likely a relative) asked you to do. To her, you were probably just some punk kid cutting grass.
If someone breaks into my back yard to mow the lawn, I'm getting them a glass of iced tea, and don't try to stop me.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:13 PM   #45
scottaschultz

I'm from St. Louis. Make it a Budweiser and you have a deal!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 05:20 PM   #46
stargazer65

Quote:
I'm from St. Louis. Make it a Budweiser and you have a deal!
Scott, I'll but you any drink you want if you mow my lawn. The key to the mower is on the right side of door, just make sure you call to let me know you're mowing, so I don't accidently mace you.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:28 PM   #47
scottaschultz

If its a big lawn, I might send my grand daughter. Here is a shot of grandpa showing her how to drive the mighty JD!

She is only 13, so she'll have the tea!
Oh, I took the radio off and now wear an iPod.

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 05:29 PM   #48
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, its not! I added the "Walk a mile in their shoes" part after you made your reply. Everyone's life experience is different. You're a rough tough guy who carries a piece and ain't afraid of nuthin', but you simply can not apply your standard of threat universally.
No, I can't. A court can, however. So, you find me a court decision wherein a dirty car was found to constitute a threat to someone.

You won't find it. You can't find it. A dirty car is not a threat. SHE was the threat. She illegally threatened an innocent man with a can of mace.

Her past is irrelevant. There is not and can not be any justification for a dirty car, or a guy mowing a lawn, being considered a threat.

She is WRONG. I don't care why she thinks she's right. SHE IS WRONG and I would have pressed charges to make sure she knew it.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:32 PM   #49
scottaschultz

Peetzakilla, OK, I get it. I think most of us put this behind us some time ago!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 05:33 PM   #50
Housezealot

Quote:
She illegally threatened an innocent man with a can of mace.
Innocent? well to be honest I did do a shoddy job of the weed whipping behind the car port.