The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
SamD63

Different 9mm Cartridge types??

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have a couple of questions to start. (I am sure there will be more).

I am relatively new to reloading. I have a Ruger P95 and am about to reload some rounds for it. I have yet to decide what bullet I like best. I am trying 90g, 115g, & 125g. I will probably use Winchester 231(Was giving to me free when buying my reloading supplies). I have been looking at the reloading Data in the QuickLoad program. I see that there are a number of 9mm casings. The 3 I can remember off the top of my head are: 1.) 9mm Luger (SAAMI), 2.) 9mm Luger (CIP), and 3.) NATO 9x19. there are others. What casing do I use in the calculations? How do I determine which one is the correct?

Also, do others suggest a different powder?
Old April 5, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
hounddawg

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=79732
Old April 5, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Hounddawg gave a link for a good thread to read regarding your case question.

You dug up some good memories. I used to help my uncle quite a bit reloading while growing up. When I got married, our first pistol purchase together was the P95. I started to load for it using a Lee Anniversary Kit and it was a VERY forgiving gun. I love my XDs, HK, and 1911. But for some reason, the P95 was the one that really felt like it absorbed the most recoil. It also would cycle on the lowest minimum charges and at the same time it would handle the hottest recommended ones. I think you made a very wise choice for experiments.

I personally liked 115gr FMJ the best. It was easiest to acquire in bulk. It ate up 124 and 147gr without a hitch, but they were more expensive and I was on a budget back then. If you're looking at a range plinking load, I'd stay with 115gr.

Win231 (same as Hodgdon HP38) is a good powder even for 9mm. I love it for .45ACP and .40SW. For starting out, use it. There's nothing wrong with it. I would look into Accurate Arms powders in the future, too. AA#2 Improved and AA#5 are both clean, fast burning powders that have served me well. One word of caution: If you have the Lee powder measure, AA's powder is very fine and always seemed to make its way around the teflon seal and make a mess when charging the cases. I came to like the powder so much at the time that I chucked the Lee measure and bought a better one.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 5, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
45Marlin carbine

you can't go wrong with what you have so far but you might try at least some 124gr slugs for group - they may be better suited to the rifleing of the Ruger - I know they are for my S&W 9mm Paras.
I use BullsEye and Red Dot for 'economy' target loads - Red Dot being more bulky than BE.
I've heard good about AA powders and 231 though.
IMO you should go with SAAMI specs. can't go wrong there.