The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 29, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
royboy

Mossberg 44us fires when chambering a round

When I purchesed it the former owner informed me the trigger had been worked and was light, he showed me and I liked it. I took it out and put 5 in the clip and when I went to chamber a round, when I locked the bolt into place the gun fired. I repeated this a 10 times only vary slowly with the same results. No matter how slow I tried it, it still fired. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old August 29, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

"former owner informed me the trigger had been worked and was light"

You will probably have to replace the trigger (which, IIRC, is also the sear) and probably the firing pin and trigger spring. Try www.gunpartscorp.com for the parts. In the meantime, the gun is dangerous and should not be fired.

Lesson: "The trigger has been worked" is a warning to run, do not walk, away from a gun deal.

Jim
Old August 29, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3
mark clausen

If you google Havelins you will find Vic and Cheryl Havelin. They are only about mossys. You should be able to.get a new FP for around $20. Ask about a trigger as they don't list everything they have. Also on the forum Rimfire central on the mossberg section there is a fella named blkwollf who has a large inventory. I buy from him frequently. It is a simple bolt and if it.is firing I.wouldn't worry about the spring. By the way a model 46A I have had the same problem and I only needed to replace the firing pin to correct it. Sometimes the Havelins firing pins need some hand fitting to get them perfect.
Mark
Old August 29, 2013, 08:15 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Be careful in fitting any firing pin; if you cut through the surface hardness, you will have the same problem again.

The firing pin spring probably won't need replaced. I mentioned the trigger spring because cutting or lightening the trigger spring is often a part of "trigger work" to reduce the trigger pull.

Jim
Old August 31, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
grumpa72

Relying on memory here but I had a Moss 44US(C) - very similar - and I wonder if you have taken the bolt apart and cleaned it? The firing pin channel can get gunked up and require significant cleaning. Also, you have good advice here but there are also Mossberg experts over at Rimfire Central - http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=51 - as well as the parts needed at http://havlinsales.com/, as previously suggested.

In addition, doesn't the 44US have an adjustable trigger? As I recall, it is very easy to pull the stock off of the rifle and gently play with the screw to set the trigger at a level that you like.

You WILL like the 44 US series. Great rifles
Old September 11, 2013, 06:49 PM   #6
nanewt02

Try cleaning out the trigger assembly
Old September 18, 2013, 02:35 AM   #7
triggerman770

Jim K is on the right track(he usually is). 190 out of 99 people who says the trigger is lightened usually have no clue what they did. Basically the sear is simply not catching.
www.georgiacarry.org