The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 16, 2005, 01:56 PM   #51
Lonestar.45

I love my .270. That said, if I were to suddenly win the lottery and start hunting Africa, you can bet that I'd have more than a .270. Sure, I'd bring it along for antelope and warthogs, but anything larger and more dangerous would deserve a larger caliber.
Old December 16, 2005, 02:05 PM   #52
Marky

.270 in Africa

Unless you plan on shooting Africans, no.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:05 PM   #53
impact

No Rich I never hunted Africa. I only know two people how have. Well three with you . My buddie did say that he could have shot bigger game but with the gun he took he stayed with his game plan. He did say he only took four of the five game animals he was looking for. He did say it was also cheaper to have the mounts done in Africa and sent to the states.

The other guy hunts traditional long bow and goes about two times a year. He tells me you have not hunted till you hunt Africa. I don't know the names of what game he took but when I start shooting traditional bow again around the first of the year I will ask him. We all shoot together on a league.

I don't know if the my buddie will join in on the conversation. He is a family man with three kids who he helps with homework and active in church plays this time of the year. He is a good guy to have as a friend. Maybe I can get him to join the TFL.
Old December 19, 2005, 12:00 AM   #54
backfromthefuture

My uncle goes to Africa every year and he always takes a 300 win mag as his primary weapon, with a .357 as a sidearm(he said he doubts he would need a sidearm, he just likes to carry guns around) and a 30-06 as a back up rifle.

BFF
Old December 29, 2005, 12:10 PM   #55
FrontSight

Ok, like I said earlier, I am by no means an expert...
So I was reading the latest Sports Afield issue, and it had a great artcile about African Safari, and recommended two books, African Hunter II, and The Perfect Shot, both of which I bought (from an E-Bay store at a GREAT discount if anyone is interested) and they seem really, really awesome...

Turns out these books actually recommend a .270 for a lot of the game there, so I guess if you knew you ONLY had X amount of $$ to spend, and could ONLY afford certain species, all that grow to only a certain max size, and were NOT going to bag anything else, no matter how incredible a once in a lifetime specimen, or even if it would be a world record trophy that would stand for 500 years, and don't care about having to spend money on a wounded but unrecovered animal, and are a crazy person & don't care about getting chomped on by a lion or trampled/gored by a buffalo or elephant, then perhaps a .270 would be enough?

But damn, would anyone actually ever fit all those criteria? Odds would be really high against it...so for the general question of "would a .270 be enough gun of Africa?". I'd have to guess No, unless you fit all of those criteria above...

But like I said, I'm not even remotely close to being an expert...