The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 16, 2016, 06:38 AM   #26
brasscollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwh4207
Besides the 75 gr vmax I have had better luck with the heavy bullets I'd like to try the 95 gr sst
My 243 (not an M77 however) would not group the little boat tails at all. 1-1/2" was the best I could do with the 58gr and 75gr v-maxs. Soft-pointed boat tail hunting bullets of 80gr and 100gr also didn't fare very well. I was losing hope. Finally tried some 95gr SSTs because they were flat-based (friends advice). I had all the little stacked-up groups I could shoot. I didn't measure all the groups but the ones I did were in the 5/8" - 3/4" range which I was happy with.
Old January 16, 2016, 07:08 PM   #27
Lwh4207

I'm a pretty big fan of the sst bullets they have performed outstanding in the calibers I use them in ,but I havnt had a chance to load any up for my 243 yet.
Old January 24, 2016, 02:04 PM   #28
dvdcrr

The only bullet I tried which was too long was a Swift Scirroco (95 gr.?)
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old February 23, 2016, 08:48 PM   #29
Mac11

Another trick to try on a Ruger M77 is to open the magazine trap door and see if the mag sleeve will move just slightly with finger pressure. There needs to be some movement to ensure the action isn't being pulled down on the mag sleeve and causing some distortion of the action when it's torqued to 90 in/lbs. Both of my M77s were tight and it's not uncommon that this one little thing will correct a poor shooting rifle. Generally this will render better results than a pillar bedding job. On the bottom side of the sleeve, not the action side, Using a HAND FILE, at the contact point of the the trigger guard in back and the trap door hinge in front, remove just enough metal to get the sleeve free front and back when the action is reassembled, usually only a couple of thou/ in. More is NOT better and you may need two or three tries to get it right. Takes 15 minutes to accomplish. Worked for me on a 6mm and an '06, it may work for you.

Last edited by Mac11; February 23, 2016 at 09:18 PM.