The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Crazy4nitro

.41 Magnum and .38 Spcl Range results

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data That Might be beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
Reloading nOOb here....

Well I finally went to the Range after loading up a few Various loads for my .41 Magnum and S&W Mod.10 .38 Spcl.

I have my results and Notes listed Below. I am Posting to merely share my exp.,Findings and to Hopefully gain some feedback and suggestions.

--------------- .41 Magnum -------------
170 gr.JHP...........16.0gr. of 2400...........Bright Flame,Mild Recoil For this Gun
185 gr.LSWC........12.6gr. of Blue-Dot......Nice Mild Plinker,Little to No Flash
215 gr.LSWC........20.0gr. of 2400...........Spanker! Big Bright Flash,very small amt. of Primer Flatining
215 gr.LSWC........12.2gr. of Blue-Dot......Little Smokey,Nice Mild Plinker

--------------- .38 Spcl.---------------
110 gr.JHP.....5.0gr. of Bullseye......Small Flash
110 gr.JHP.....8.0gr. of Blue-Dot.....Nice Plinker,no Flash to speak of

125 gr.JSP.....7.0gr. of Blue-Dot.....Sub +P(Per Book)

*****General Notes*****
Taurus Tracker Mod 425 .41 Magnum (Factory Ported)
No Leading found in Factory Ports due to using Non-Jacketed Bullets

S&W Mod.10 38 Spcl. I was Mainly looking to Find Low power "Plinking" Loads as this Gun has sentimental Value. I
learned to shoot Handguns with this Very Gun,My Grandfather Just recently Gave it to me.

The 2400 Powder Had a Large Bright Flash so I would not use it for Personal Defense Loads

Enjoy,
Crazy4nitro

Last edited by Crazy4nitro; February 12, 2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added notes
Old February 11, 2007, 03:39 PM   #2
rem33

I have been using data from a 60's something Hogdon reload sheet for 41 mag. It's about 2 or so grains more of the particular powder than the new Speer manual. I have used that load for decades with no problems.

I hear all kinds of reasoning of this or that of powder changing but I kinda doubt that, and think it has more to do with newer ways to check pressure and fear of law suits with some loads being so much lighter. Some of the rifle data is slightly higher in my new Lyman manual, it Could be either so caution is the word.