The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 18, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1
zenmtnman

Tikka Caliber?

Hey all,
Thanks again for all your advice on my last post about the Tikka Hunter.
One last question before I finalize my purchasing decision.
I've pretty much narrowed my choice to 30-06 for caliber, but wanted to check with you fine folks to see if this would be a good choice for recoil (with the light weight of the firearm), accuracy at range (300 yards-ish, as I know myself well enough NOT to take a shot farther than that), and bullet weights. (I plan to get into reloading as well). The intended uses for this rifle will be punching paper, as well as occasional (when I can get away from work) deer/elk/antelope hunts. It also might need to be used on a local black bear if he gets to be too much of a nuisance for the neighborhood or gets too close to my 20 month old daughter.
Would you recommend another caliber? Any scope compatability issues with the stock rings they come with? I'm leaning to a 3-8X scope as well, but not sure if you have any recommendations that won't break the bank.
Thank you all in advance...I learn so much here!
Old July 18, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
billindenver

I have a T3 lite in 30-06. I put a limbsaver pad on it before I even fired it so I am not sure what the stock one will feel like. With the lightweight tikka and standard 30-06 rounds I can put about 40-60 rounds downrange before my shoulder has had enough (in 5 round groups, cooling between). A browning shirt with pad in it helps a lot if I want more. With hot hunting rounds that decreases to maybe 25 or so.

Bullet weight, the tikka will shoot them all well but I have settled on 168 grain for elk/mule deer. I'm using Barnes 168 TTSX over 56gr of RL19 and shooting groups like the one below all day long. That is an expensive bullet for plinking though, so I use Hornady 150's for practice etc and I can fire more of them before the shoulder complains. Changes my zero but that's no big deal. As far as range accuracy goes, I can and often do knock down water bottles at 500 meters with both of those loads....you have found yourself a very good rifle.

Old July 18, 2008, 01:11 PM   #3
sholling

I have a T3 Lite in 300WM and I don't think a 30-06 will be all that bad with a Limbsaver.
Old July 18, 2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Snow Dog

Nothing wrong with the '30-06 (or the .308 for that matter). However, if you are going to start reloading you might want to look at the 6.5x55 Swedish. It's a great round with low recoil and it will do everything you need. It's very versatile and accurate.

For a good 3-9x40 scope there are lots of choices that won't put you in the poor house. Bushnell Elite 3200's, Burris FullField II's, Leupold VX I & II's etc - most if not all makers have a decent scope in that power range for a reasonable price. You have to do some comparison shopping and look through a few scopes to see what works for you.
Old July 18, 2008, 05:46 PM   #5
sholling

The scopes are easy. First choice the discontinued 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite 4200 on clearance at SWFA for $250. Second choice the discontinued 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos (private label Monarch UCC) on clearance for $200. These are last years great $350-400 scopes being clearanced at rock bottom prices.
Old July 18, 2008, 11:20 PM   #6
elkman06

I have two. 06 and 300wm. I have a limbsaver on the 300 and it's a little rough for bench time. The 06 is more comfortable and shoots better(might just be me though). Either rifle will kill very well at 300yds. I vote for the 06 though, especially if it's a first time larger centerfire rifle.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 21, 2008, 11:26 AM   #7
drmiller100

i've got an 06 tikka.

i put a slip over recoil pad on it for bench, as it does kick a little, and it is a little short for me for bench.

i remove the slipover for hunting as i normally have bulkier clothes.

i have a burris signature scope, like it a lot. get the best scope and binocs you can afford.

Tags
30-06 , caliber , elk , recoil , tikka