The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Sarge

The Glock Model 21, Generation 2.5 .45 Auto

My son Josh recently picked up a used Glock 21 from Terry’s Gun Specialty. The gun is in good condition and the price was very reasonable. I drooled over it awhile myself, but passed because I needed something better suited to concealed carry. At 8 ¼ inches long and 38 ½ ounces loaded, the Glock 21 is a big 45 Auto. The Model 21 was introduced about 1990, but this gun’s CKW prefix indicates September 1997 production. It is a Generation 2 1/2 gun with the finger-groove frame but no accessory rail, as seen on current Glocks. Its night sights have plenty of life left in them.

The 21’s only problem was that someone had installed a Ghost 3.5 # connector and the resulting pull was too light for a carry gun. To make matters worse, the second stage of the pull was mushy and unpredictable. This is Josh’s first Glock and he wasn’t comfortable carrying it IWB in that condition, so I swapped out the Ghost for an OEM connector. This improved the second stage immensely and added a pound to the pull

Josh agreed to have his pistol reviewed for the Glock Files at www.thesixgunjournal.net This was accomplished on January 5th and range conditions were, well, ‘January in Missouri’. It was spitting an icy mix, with the temp around 37 and a 15 mph wind insuring that you knew it was winter. I did not set up a chronograph.

At 25 yards I fired five rounds standing unsupported from a modified Weaver stance. I used my bulk .45 Auto reload consisting of Missouri Bullet’s 225 grain cast ‘Flathead’ over 5.4 grains of W231, loaded to 1.220” OAL with CCI primers. It averages 840.8 fps from 1911’s and shot pretty close to the sights; the left grouping was probably me milking the trigger.

At 50 yards I fired five rounds over Federal’s ‘Champion’ 230 grain FMJ load, which has proven accurate in every .45 Auto I’ve tried it in. Shooting was done from a canvass hunting chair, using my range bag for a rest. I called a low flyer, which ruined a nice group; but the four I didn’t screw up went into 4 ¼ inches. The group did print a little high.

Glock pistols have achieved an enviable reputation for reliability and the G21 lived up to it. About four more magazines of odd & end .45 ammo went down its bore and no malfunctions occurred. Like other Glocks I’ve tested, it possessed sufficient mechanical accuracy for 50 yard head shots. There is really nothing else to ask of a full-size service pistol.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-...ation-45-auto/
Old January 6, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
BerdanSS

The G21 is the best of all glocks...only one better in my opinion is the 21SF.
I've used my buddy's 3rd gen to COMPLETELY shoot out the red bulls eye on a BC slow fire target at 15 yards with 230gr S&B FMJ....regularly.

Just wish they were priced better. They are good and all, but for good or bad they are a featureless plain plastic pistol, and should cost absolutely no more than $450 ish at the most regardless of size or caliber.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Agreed with the aforementioned. My Glock 21sf has. Been flawless right out of the box. Have some trijicon HD's on them and I'll be getting rid of that ghost connector myself. Great right up Sarge.

Random question. I've always been tuned to shoot 7-10-12- maybe 15 yards. Of course getting more difficult as the numbers raise.

Where do you up the sights the farther the target goes? I know every gun is different. And I'll never really take a shot that far with my service pistol. As I prefer my AR for that. But just for range fun.

I've seen that sight picture 1-3 chart. It doesn't make much sense to me either.
Help?
Old January 7, 2013, 08:11 AM   #4
AndyWest

I love the natural wear in your first picture. Who says Glocks aint perdy?
Old January 7, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
BGutzman

Sarge - Im trying to be helpful here not critical.... text sometimes is a poor medium...

My question would be are you exhaling and holding your breath or are you using the usually taught military method of holding your breath? Exhaling leads to less air in the lungs to compress and hence more accuracy. Up and down is often a breathing, flinching or consistent sight picture problem..

It could also be that your not use to the trigger on the Glock and its inducing motion into the gun simply because your still getting use to it... One way to eliminate flinching or induced motion from the potential list of problems is to put a penny on the end of the barrel and dry fire the pistol with a snap cap.. If the penny falls on a smooth trigger pull (not a slap) then flinching of trigger induced motion is the cause...

Hopefully this will help identify the cause...
Old January 7, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Sarge

Constantine- it depends on where a particular pistol or revolver is zeroed. I zero all my service-sized pistols as precisely as possible at 50 yards. If you shoot at that distance you will find that an awful lot of handguns will still print on target, with the OEM sights. It's really not far enough for 'drop' to be much of a consideration.

For both groups, I held with the black bull just touching the top, center edge of the front sight. That is, except the shot I dropped low in the 50 yard target LOL. Should look like this-

More here if you're interested.

I think somebody replaced the front sight on this G21, with something a little shorter than OEM for that model. Consequently, it shoots a little high.

Last edited by Sarge; January 7, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
EdInk

I am glad he likes it. Glock are reliable firearms with a good reputation. Honestly, I feel that the rail is something you won't even miss. (Personally, I like the even older Glocks without the finger grooves too.)

If you don't care for the lighter weight connector in your gun, there are plenty of guys who would trade you even part for part. Like most people, my major complaint with Glock is the grip feels too large in my hand. Enjoy the new firearm.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #8
eldorendo

Only guy I know who carries a G21 IWB is Paul Bunyon. I also found the Ghost Rocket to be too mushy. I much prefer the Ghost Ultimate, Lone Wolf or Glockworx connectors.

I install aftermarket connectors in all my Glocks, including my daily carry G26.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:21 PM   #9
iraiam

Yes, I gave up on the 1911 in favor of the Glock 21.

I only shot it once at ranges 25-50 yards, I found it as accurate at that range as any pistol.

My only complaint on the Glocks is the little thin slide release, I trained myself to just rack the slide to release it.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 7, 2013, 02:27 PM   #10
chris in va

They make an extended slide release, and they're inexpensive.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
iraiam My only complaint on the Glocks is the little thin slide release, I trained myself to just rack the slide to release it.
Quote:
chris in va They make an extended slide release, and they're inexpensive.
Yes, I have one on mine. I'll take a pic for you. It's great, and it's not obnoxious either.

Quote:
Sarge

Constantine- it depends on where a particular pistol or revolver is zeroed. I zero all my service-sized pistols as precisely as possible at 50 yards. If you shoot at that distance you will find that an awful lot of handguns will still print on target, with the OEM sights. It's really not far enough for 'drop' to be much of a consideration.

For both groups, I held with the black bull just touching the top, center edge of the front sight. That is, except the shot I dropped low in the 50 yard target LOL. Should look like this-

Ah...I see....I aim directly at it or slightly above it at that range. Maybe that could be where my error is.

The sights on the G21 are slightly higher. The trijicon HD's. But it's a tack driver at 7-12 yards. 2-3 mags and I already need a new bulls eye target.

Then again, I do the same with my Gold cup and SIG P220 that fast. Just that darn .45 round
Old January 10, 2013, 01:32 AM   #12
Sarge

The only thing better than a Glock 21 is a pair of them.