The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 15, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1
thebodhitree

perty guns...

i understand why people want the perty guns, but then again i don't... my favorite guns have always been the beat up knockaround guns or the god awful ugly ones... (my stock glock)

do yall prefer the good lookin kimbers and s&w revolvers, or the ugly glocks and hipoints?
Old October 15, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2
zippy13

Different strokes for different folks.
I recall an old saw from design school: With some people, all of their taste in in their mouth.
Old October 15, 2010, 12:52 AM   #3
8shot357

It all depends in the morning. Have another drink.
Old October 15, 2010, 12:56 AM   #4
Eagle0711

I Want The Gun That Works And Can Take A Scratch

Sometimes I'll take a gun other than my Kimber Pro Carry 11 because it has cherkered rosewood grips and is a nice looking gun, and don't want it beat up. A volunteer position that I do involves opening and closing gates and having to squeeze thru sometimes banging the gun. I carry a J frame in the pocket or a belt holster. That gun has a few dings on it, so I don't worry about a few more.
I once dropped a Glock 17 on blacktop.and thought it would scratch the gun, but it didn't leave a mark because of the tennifer coating.
First rule of gunfighting is to have a gun. So make sure that you can live with a ding in your carry gun. Best Lyle

" If you can't shooot faster than the other guy; Shoot straighter"- Chic Gaylord
Old October 15, 2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Daryl

Even the ugliest ones look pretty good when you really need one, and them that's too purdy to handle just ain't worth having.

I have purdy guns, and some that many folks would consider "ugly". Like me, they get more worn and banged up as the years go by. The wear doesn't stop my wife from appreciating and caring for me, and it doesn't keep me from appreciating and caring for my firearms.

Honest wear is earned in both cases. Sorta like the song says, "It ain't the years, boy; it's the miles".

Daryl
Old October 15, 2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

All of my S&Ws and the like get used. I like nice guns, but most importantly I like nice guns that are reliable. While I don't abuse my guns, I don't go out of my way to beat them up either but they all get used and carried and are all likely to have a ding or a scratch or two.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:29 AM   #7
NightSleeper

The uglier the better ....
Old October 15, 2010, 07:51 AM   #8
dalegribble

glocks and hi points in the same sentence, in a positive light, by a glock owner......who woulds thunk it
Old October 15, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
YZR

I like shiny metal and wood grips
Old October 15, 2010, 10:57 AM   #10
TheGoldenState

Why be limited?

Kimbers-Check
Glocks-Check

Shooting without any malfunctions is what I like, and If I can find a "perty" one that does that, its like having having your pie (girlfriend) and eating it too (second girlffriend).
Old October 15, 2010, 11:47 AM   #11
aarondhgraham

Life is too short to shoot ugly guns,,,

Balancing my sense of aesthetics against pure functionality,,,
Has always and will always be a challenge for me.

I like snub nose .38 revolvers and pocket carry,,,
I own two S&W Model 36's,,,
2" and a 3" versions.

I like pocket carry so what I really should get for myself,,,
Is a hammerless DA-Only like a S&W Model 442,,,

But man that is one b***-ugly gun,,,
I just can't make myself buy one.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 15, 2010, 11:54 AM   #12
thebodhitree

i must be throwed off in the head...

what most people call ugly guns are good lookin to me (glock, the snubbie above me), and what most people think are pretty and flashy (kimbers, wilson combats etc) are just unpurchasable to me. the only kimber i would buy would be a 5" cause id be too tempted to carry a smaller one. and lord knows im rough on guns...

course im partial to all black guns tho...
Old October 15, 2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Archer-1911

Ugly guns

Well I for one can say far beyond a shadow of doubt that I used to dispise Glocks becuase they were F***-Ugly. However I have seen the errors of my former ways and have to say that the Glock has grown on me like a Pug Dog. Thing is so damn sweet looking after a while.
Old October 15, 2010, 11:58 AM   #14
ZEBRARANGER

I'll say it. I like pretty guns, but I also like most guns pretty or well used. I do have both and one of my favorites is a not so pretty well used 4" SS Security Six. I also like my pretty Colt King Cobra with nice checkered walnut grips and my pretty nickel plated S&W 3rd model DA made in 1888. None of my semi auto's are pretty. Different people have different reasons for their likes & dislikes.
Old October 15, 2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Chris_B

Guns cost some good cash. I'd rather buy a good one than a bad one. Some ugly ones are good, and some pretty ones are bad

All other things being equal, I'll drop a grand on a new looking gun and then keep it as nice as possible
Old October 15, 2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Drummer101

I buy to use it, not look at it.
Old October 15, 2010, 05:45 PM   #17
Amin Parker

Hmmm, i carry a T series high power and she is beautiful and gracefull.

Its just luck that the only pistol that ticks all the boxes for me also happens to make me weak in the knees.
Old October 15, 2010, 06:02 PM   #18
BigJimP

Why go ugly --- when you don't have to ... ( isn't there a coyote ugly joke in there somewhere ...) ....

I like my guns, like I prefer my women .....well built and pretty ....
Old October 15, 2010, 06:14 PM   #19
retiredcoasty

I buy firearms to use, not to look at so I don’t buy ‘pretty’ firearms. Pretty firearms are, to me, the fancy ones with gold etchings and ‘purdy’ pictures. My brother uses most of his but collects others. No big deal to either one of us. I laugh at him when he collects them but I try to buy them off of him after a few years. But he knows it’ll stop at the range on the way home, so he refuses to let me buy one. Smart man!
Old October 15, 2010, 06:38 PM   #20
frumious

I really like stainless but I really hate paying the premium for it. So all of my guns are blued. And I have black rubber Hogue/Pachmayr grips on the ones that can take them. So my collection is pretty boring looking.

-cls
Old October 15, 2010, 07:07 PM   #21
old bear

The only thing I love more than a revolver with the Smith and Wesson deep blue finish is a Smith and Wesson with a deep blue finish that has been used but not abused.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:22 PM   #22
savit260

Well worn doesn't bother me, but I like a design that is pleasing to my eye. Colt revolvers "do it" for me. They can be shiny and new looking or have plenty of holster wear, and I'll think they are both beauties.

I'd be much happier with a 50 % Official Police or New Service than a brand new HK or Glock.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:22 PM   #23
Microgunner

I never thought of it in that context. I just buy guns, lots of guns. Anything that strikes my fancy at the moment. As long as there's a steady stream of them I'm happy.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:09 PM   #24
RLWII

Ditto to Savit260. I love my Colts and they all get trips to the range. I never thought I would see an ugly Python, but two years ago I came across a 4", in perfect condition, that had been parkerized. Picked it up anyway, for less than five hundred, and it has become my pet. Whoever did the work did a flawless job and the thing shoots like a Python should. But there is something about putting this finish on a Python - not sure, but I believe it was a sin.
Old October 15, 2010, 10:00 PM   #25
Mr. James

Heh - funny thread. I do have some pretty guns. But the one on my hip right now is old and scarred, as are the alternate carry guns. But any of those pretty babes might end up in a holster after I have a more rounds through 'em. I buy 'em to shoot 'em, not to gaze upon them.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Tags
glock , kimber , pretty guns , ugly guns