The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 02:14 PM   #26
kaylorinhi

My 2 cents

all bore cleaning gear is interchangable, .22lr last resort only, 5.56 or .223 frangible, as many as you need.

15 yds = 45 ft

21 ft = 7 yds

per the FBI study

Mike

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_McIBT3ZKpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_McIBT3ZKpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by kaylorinhi; May 21, 2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Add video
Old May 21, 2010, 02:36 PM   #27
p99guy

RMT, in those very narrow set of circumstances it does work horrifically, as i said ......but quickly degrades to less than leathal, as said.
But as we both know, you have to have something that tends to work in a wide variety of circumstances, a general purpose round so to speak.

Inside a room I have no doubt you could litterally disassemble a person with it, and folks do it weekly(its what the crime scene tape is for) it does kill, and spatters chunks all over a room (I have seen two shotgun/birdshot suicides, and those are special)
Its the keeping all your prospective opponants at no further than 10yds to get the effect is the downfall.

Would I use it unless there was absolutely nothing else?..heck no!!!!

in fact im a Carbine person rather than big shotgun fan.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:48 PM   #28
Bamashooter

there is no doubt in my mind that you could blow someone in half from 10-15ft. with birdshot. ive seen it happen at farther distance than that. as far as a .22, someone in my hometown recently killed his wife, brother, dog and injured another who was fleeing with a .22. he had to reload to kill himself. when you are getting shot at it doesnt matter what it is you duck and run. at least thats been my reaction.
Old May 21, 2010, 03:09 PM   #29
rickyrick

this is way off topic

when I take friends out shooting, most of them, don't own guns..........eventually they want to have a go at the 12ga.......after a few shots with 00 or slugs they allways say they expected a lot more of a dramatic effect, so then, I load birdshot and let them blow a 2x4 in half and they're happy.

I often invite novices to shoot, try to spark an interest in the hobby.

Last edited by rickyrick; May 21, 2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old May 21, 2010, 04:26 PM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

'Nuf wanderin' for one thread.
Closed Thread