The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Reloading for cheap?

Hey guys, I've noticed that my new rifle uses ammo that costs more money than I'd like to spend... $20/60rds FMJ (7.5x55 Swiss).

This has finally inspired me to consider spending money... Which is a rare event for me. I'm debating buying the surpluss ammo at $20/60, but I'm also thinking about getting into reloading as an economic issue.

My main question is, can I get started relatively cheap (Sub-$100?)? Right now, I'm looking at the following gear:

Lee Aniversary Reloading kit with manual
Lee Case Length Guage and Shell Holder
I also anticipate making a tumbler from an old motor, a bowl, and some other odds and ends.

What I can't figure out is what specific dies I would need... IE, crimp die, neck sizer... I'd like to get as few as possible while still being able to reload.

Right now, I'm open to any suggestions... But I'd like to keep this thread hardware-oriented. As far as manuals, techniques, etc go, I'll be open for discussion on that a bit later.

TIA for any insights,
Wolfe.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old January 12, 2005, 05:10 PM   #2
m0ntels

Lee makes 2 die sets for the swiss that both use 2 dies.

This set does full length sizing:
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/625657

This one neck sizes only:
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/133719

I'm going to be getting the first, as I'd like another K31 or other S-R rifle in the future. Either die set along with the press kit and you will need the cutter and lock stud to use that case length trim guide. The die set comes with the shellholder you will need for the press. That should have you set to load then. Although not 100% neccessary, I'd scour ebay and gunbroker for a powder measure.

Randy
Old January 12, 2005, 06:02 PM   #3
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Thanks for clearing the dies up for me... I guess the neck sizer would just be a redundancy then?

Btw, that aniversary kit has a measure, and the cutter/lock stud... So I think I'd be all set with it.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old January 12, 2005, 07:22 PM   #4
Dave R

Wolfe, a great way to get into a cheap tumbler is to shop at a Thrift store (Savers, Deseret Industries, etc.) for a rock tumbler or an ice cream maker. With the ice cream maker, you have to make sure it will operate sideways. Some designs will, some won't.

Until you get a tumbler, you can always clean the brass by hand. Use a rag that has some strength to it, and hot soapy water. I did that for a while.

One note on the K-31--it has a "short throat". That is, the rifling starts pretty soon after the neck of the bullet. Pay attention to the overall length listed in reloading manuals.

It might also help to do the "candle test." Load a bullet in a case with no primer or powder. Load it to the length you think you want. The hold the bullet in the yellow flame of a candle, rotating it to get it all sooty. then chamber it in the rifle. Look for uniform marks in the soot than indicate the bullet is contacting the rifling. If it is, you want to go a bit shorter.

It all depends on the bullet profile. Bullets that taper quickly can be loaded "longer" than bullets that carry their width farther forward.

A good treatise on reloading for the K-31 is found here. http://www.swissrifles.com/

Then go to Ammunition/Reloading/Reloading Swiss ammunition.

The rest of the forum is pretty good, too.
Old January 12, 2005, 08:06 PM   #5
m0ntels

Neck sizing should be adequate with just a single rifle using these shells. Full length sizing dies can be adjusted to neck size only too though. Neck sizing is supposed to make the brass last longer too since you shouldnt have to trim it as much. Either way you cant really go wrong, though I'd get the full length sizing set just for the versatility. It's going on this month's Midway order for myself anyway. I love that rifle and need to be able to afford to shoot it too. Grafs has the best deal on brass I hear.

Randy
Old January 13, 2005, 09:22 AM   #6
.45 Vet

Try these folks for Lee products

http://www.factorysales.com their pricing is usually better than Lee or Midway...
Old January 13, 2005, 08:37 PM   #7
mod70

Bullet diameter

What diameter bullet does the 7.5 swiss use?

Also...where do you find boxer primed brass?

Thanks
Old January 13, 2005, 09:50 PM   #8
m0ntels

The original has 2 diamaters on the same bullet, .308 and .310 i believe it tapers to, but you reload with a standard .308. Usually 165-175gr. The Swiss Rifle Forum and Website have mant loads and instructions given, as well as Parallax's forum too. I hear it's a bit tricky at first so they give lots of pointers.

Midway and Grafs both sell the brass. I think Graf's was alot cheaper IIRC.

Randy
Old January 14, 2005, 04:17 PM   #9
Dave R

I have never heard of anyone use anything other than the standard .308 bullets for reloading the Swiss. That's why a reloaded Swiss should cost no more to shoot than a .308 or .30-06 or anything else.
Old January 14, 2005, 07:19 PM   #10
mod70

Graf's

m0ntels,

Thanks for the brass tip...they do have good prices on the Swiss
Old January 14, 2005, 08:11 PM   #11
m0ntels

Just dont buy the last of it...I havent ordered yet and next cheapest is Midway at about $1/shell.

Randy
Old January 15, 2005, 03:29 AM   #12
only1asterisk

The first 7.5x55 rifles were made with .298-.300 bores. I behooves anyone messing with around with anything that started of as something other than a 1911 or K31 to make double sure before loading .308 bullets.

David