The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2010, 03:11 PM   #26
ClemBert

BTW, that is a beautiful work of art!
Old May 5, 2010, 09:16 PM   #27
CajunPowder

HisSoldier:

NICE loading press and great design work, it's very flexible.

Doc:

Perhaps a removable lever or one that extends so that it can be more compact in its partially disassembled state.

Even if the ultimate loader does not come out of this thread, there's been some good thought on it and plans for single loaders seem more simple now, yeah!
Old May 6, 2010, 09:59 AM   #28
Doc Hoy

Cage,

Yes...Heartily agree.

I have a press I built a couple months ago on which the lever engages a link that collapses and then the lever comes off. It breaks down into a space about 8 inches by 4 inches by 3 inches. But it is a little hard to use. It is easily small enough to satisfy me but it is just too finnicky to use.

You can probably find the thread on this forum that described and had photos.

A lot of folks think I am on a fools errand but this is the way I, 1) extend my shooting activity into non-shooting times. and 2) keep my sanity.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:07 PM   #29
grymster2007

Nice press HS!

For those who wonder why people make presses when onboard loading levers have served so well over the years, I think it's because a press can speed the loading process, maybe resulting in a more pleasant shooting experience and well..... because they can! Some people just like to tinker and if the end product is even marginally useful, the exercise can be considered a success.

Then there's me.... sort of satisfied with doing the electronic modeling, collecting the materials, stacking them on the bench then constantly protecting them from Mrs. Grymster's assaults on their usefulness.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:11 PM   #30
HisSoldier

I think we would find that people with Remingtons are more inclined to have the press because it's so easy to take the cylinder out. One can be shooting while another is reloading.
I constantly wonder about reloading a BP revolver while huge bullets are chipping the trees on all sides, with friends screaming in pain, dealing with terror and shaking with adrenaline.

And in spite of a long history of such bravery, such sacrifice, we lost our country from within, to lawyers and politicians, not on the battlefield.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old May 6, 2010, 03:43 PM   #31
mykeal

Quote:
2) keep my sanity
And this is a requirement because....???