The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 22, 2016, 10:22 AM   #26
Jim Watson

I haven't rung the changes on the boutique guns like Rsq and some others here have, but I do agree that there is a sweet spot in nice guns. Too bad it seems to be in the $2500-$3500 range. There are a lot of guns of lower prices but not a LOT lower that are selling "features" instead of quality.

One thing that grates on my nerves is "good customer service" when defined as a willingness to sell a defective product combined with the ability to schmooze the customer into thinking they are doing him a big favor by fixing it. Would it not be better customer service to deliver a sound gun?
If a Supergrade choked on me, I would expect Bill Wilson to step out of a helicopter on my lawn with a backup gun to shoot until the dud could be fixed and personally returned.

One of these days somebody is going to post both "it is more accurate than I am" AND "it's the Indian not the arrow" whereupon the space time continuum will implode.
Old July 22, 2016, 11:38 AM   #27
jmorris

Quote:
Too bad it seems to be in the $2500-$3500 range.
If I am in that range for a 1911 it would be an SVI. Wilsons, Baer and Brown are fine pistols but none of them feel like an SV.
Old July 22, 2016, 01:11 PM   #28
Don P

Quote:
How many people out there can shoot well enough to see the 1" group at 25 yards????
I'm half way there Jim. I know I can't do it
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 22, 2016, 08:13 PM   #29
Blue Duck

Wilson makes a pretty good gun. I have had a Service Grade two tone 5" for probably 15yrs. It is my best fitted 1911, although my Dan Wesson 10mm is darned close.
Old July 22, 2016, 11:56 PM   #30
Snuffy308

Oh yea. It's all that and a bag of rocks. Wilsons are superbly fitted. Not hard fit like seems the vogue now days, but tight with not being impossible to rack the slide. Reminds me of the first time I picked up an HK mp5. Some guns just exude quality.
Old July 23, 2016, 01:38 PM   #31
Rinspeed

I've shot several of them, awesome 1911s that shoot as well as they look. I have just always thought they were overpriced. They really upped the ante when they started machining they own parts rather than buying frames and slides from Kimber.
Old July 23, 2016, 03:27 PM   #32
BigJimP

I can't even see a 1" group at 25 yds .... and no way can I shoot one...but it's nice to have a few guns that can do that - even if I can't.

I'm happy to shoot a 2" group ( 5 shots) at 10 yds consistently...
Old July 23, 2016, 06:26 PM   #33
TunnelRat

^ I'm a decent pistol shooter, but 1" at 25 yards standing isn't something I can do even on my best day. I've met some shooters that do 1,000 rds a week that might be able to do this, but even then I can't say for certain that they could (even when they can shoot circles around me). I think we all agree that accuracy in shooting is important, but when it comes to pistol shooting the onus is far more on the shooter than the tool. I've seen great shooters shoot excellent groups with DA revolvers, and poor shooters shoot mediocre groups with tuned 1911s. I don't like to get into arguments of how much mechanical accuracy you "need", but I do wonder when it comes to pistols or rifles that boast of accuracy if "stock" pistols really aren't enough for practical purposes.

It would be great to have a pistol that could shoot 1" at 25 yds, or a car that can go 200 mph. But to be honest I can't afford either. I can afford a decent pistol that can still manage headshots at 25 yds, and a car that does what I need every time. I don't hold it against people that they have more money than me. In most cases they've earned it. I make do with what I am and have. Every person has to determine what he/she needs and would benefit from. I don't think anyone can answer that question for you other than yourself.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 24, 2016, 04:37 PM   #34
BigJimP

Lots of less expensive guns ( over a Wilson Combat 1911 ) will suit most folks needs for a handgun.

When I was younger, still raising kids, etc ...I wasn't investing in high end guns either - and I only had a few guns / not a collection. As I got closer to retirement, everything was paid for, our basic needs were more than taken care of ...I did invest in a few Wilsons, a nice Sig X-Five -- I even had a nice Freedom Arms revolver made for my 62nd birthday.... / ...but at the same time, I use the guns I've invested in.

I choose to carry and shoot a Wilson 5" all stainless 1911 in 9mm because its the gun I have, that I shoot the best. I train with it weekly ...and every time I pick it up or go to the range with it ...I love it just as much as the day I opened the box when it was new 10 yrs ago. Its 10 yrs old - has 130,000 rds or so thru it now ...but I think its barely broken in !!

I hope everyone works hard...has some good luck come their way ...and is able to buy and shoot whatever they want ! I did / I do - with no regrets.

Its my opinion that Wilsons middle grade guns ( like the CQB ) are great guns for the money.../ I think I wasted a lot of money on a high end Kimber out of their custom shop - Gold Combat Stainless II ( valued at $ 2K now ) / a Les Baer ( around $ 2,500), an Ed Brown Kobra carry (around $2,500 )...when I could have purchased the Wilsons sooner... but I still have no regrets, because I enjoyed the journey...and all of those guns have been passed on in my family, so someone else can enjoy owning them now !

Somedays I look at guns I have like a Sig X5 (L1 model, adj trigger, all stainless, holds 14 + 1 in .40 S&W but its a beast at 55 oz ) so I sure don't carry it .../ or a Freedom Arms 4 3/4" octagonal barrel, large frame, 5 shot single action, in .357 mag almost 58 oz..../ are either of those guns practical - heck no. Will I carry them -heck no ...not even if I wore suspenders... / ... are they great guns, yes -- are they fun to shoot - yes.

So sometimes, especially as you get older...and have a little extra money ...its ok to just buy guns that you love...forget about what you need / that really has nothing to do with it ..--- as long as noone in the family goes without anything, go ahead and indulge yourself... a high end gun, a high end car...its ok --- and I hope everyone is as lucky as I've been !

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old July 24, 2016, 06:46 PM   #35
TunnelRat

Quote:
forget about what you need / that really has nothing to do with it
Sorry that's just not who I am. Like I said above, your money your call.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 26, 2016, 01:24 PM   #36
dakota1911

Depends on how you look at it I guess.

I belong to a couple expensive, snooty gun clubs where I have gotten to shoot Wilsons, Browns, Baers, Nighthawks, etc. plus custom built pistols. For me, right now, a Wilson is not worth it.

Back in 2013 on another Forum a fellow posted a thread about would you rather have a Wilson or four Colts. Funny as as when I read it I had bought four new Colts within a 12 month time period. A 2012 Gold Cup in Dec., and then a Wiley Clapp Commander. Next a 1991 Gov in 38 Super and I finished up with a new SS Series 70 Gov.

Right now I am really enjoying my shooty collection.

When people ask about 45 versus 9mm I have shot several of both. I can come close to apples to apples with SA ROs in .45 and 9mm.

Or open the conversation up a bit and I have Colt XSE LW Commanders in .45, 38 Super, and 9mm I have shot together on the same day.

For a conversation on Series 80 versus Series 70 as close as I can come to apples to apples are Colt Gold Cups built in 2015. One with a Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety and one without.

Open up the discussion to mechanical firing pin safeties in general and I can pull examples from my collection with none on the left to a Colt with a Series 80 system to a Kimber with the Swartz derived system to a S&W with its system on the right.

There is also sort of a downside to have "status" 1911s as I call them. I had a Brown Kobra Carry years ago I picked up second had on a deal. Nice pistol but I had a friend almost stalking me because he really wanted it. After a couple years I sold it to him for more than I had in it. It didn't mean that much to me.

But as I get older will I get more status 1911s? Maybe yes or I may reduce my current collection and buy prewar National Match pistols and similar guns to not shoot a lot. I have already started in that direction with a 1966 Gold Cup and a S&W 52-2.