The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 4, 2016, 06:52 PM   #26
5whiskey

Holy cow at some people drinking the fan-boy kool-aid.

"Glock perfection"... Glocks aren't perfect. They ftf just like every other pistol. Occasionally they go kaboom. They are, however, a fine defensive weapon. I wouldn't rate them on the same level as many other platforms (CZ, Sig, and several others), but they are also less expensive than other pistols of equal or better quality. They also have a very aggressive government pricing model. This is why so many militaries and law enforcement agencies carry Glocks.
Old July 5, 2016, 07:16 AM   #27
cougar gt-e

Glock "perfection" is as much about the marketing as the guns...

They're probably better at marketing than making guns, and they make good guns!
Old July 5, 2016, 09:05 AM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

Laughing at the people who are still trying to bash Glock for XYZ reasons. Guys, those are opinions. They all differ and everyone has them. As for them not being "perfect", I can get behind that. Nothing is.
Old July 5, 2016, 09:20 AM   #29
Destructo6

Quote:
If you place a big enough order, Glock will make you a pistol virtually any way you want it made.
Leading up to the 2005 adoption of the HK P2000, the US Border Patrol, spearheading for CBP, asked Glock to change some stuff and they flatly refused. They also refused to allow the then duty issue .40 S&W 155 grain JHP to go through the Glock test guns. That contract cost Glock pistols for 20k users, plus replacement pistols in similar amounts, plus parts, plus huge quantities of mags, etc.

Keep all of them clean.
Old July 5, 2016, 09:28 AM   #30
Flat Tire

If you are in the FBI, does that mean you have to carry a Glock or can you buy your own carry gun ?
Old July 5, 2016, 10:38 AM   #31
Radny97

Large government agencies often get the best bang for your buck. Meaning most reliable product that will get the job done for the cheapest price. Add that to the fact that many rank and file FBI agents are transfers from other local law enforcement agencies who issue Glocks (meaning that they are already familiar with the platform) makes the Glock a natural fit.
That's all this selection means, nothing more. For large contracts Glocks are a great fit for the money (especially with the heavily discounted prices Glock gives to agency purchasers).
But it doesn't mean that Glocks are the be all end all of handguns. Honda Accords are dependable cars and a good deal especially if you can buy them in bulk and get huge discounts. But it doesn't mean that I have to like them or that I want to drive them. I prefer a pickup truck because they are better for my life style. The guns I buy are the same. Glocks are fine, but not what I prefer.
Old July 6, 2016, 12:40 AM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...the US Border Patrol, spearheading for CBP, asked Glock to change some stuff and they flatly refused. They also refused to allow the then duty issue .40 S&W 155 grain JHP to go through the Glock test guns.
Do you have any additional information on this topic? Specifically, what were the changes requested, and what were the specs of the loading in question? I've poked around and am having trouble finding that information.
Old July 6, 2016, 12:55 AM   #33
cslinger

At the end of the day GLOCKS as stupid simple, the gold standard for reliable, shoot pretty much in the direction they are pointed and are damn near serviceable with happy meal prizes as parts.

Of course there are a metric ton of arms that will run with them. Of course they are far from perfect. What they do have thought is a long and well established rep for durability and reliability, a cheap price, a bazillion avenues for parts and service and the added benefit that damn near every LEO on the planet has fielded one.

Perfect? Hell no. I could write paragraphs on Glock issues over the years. That being said are they the "perfect" mix of value/reliability/durability/availability/parts/support and quality control? Probably.....yeah.

I mean they are ugly, uncomfortable guns made by a guy who thinks making an anniversary model is a big deal and releasing a single stack damn near a millennium too late but at the end of the day they are good guns at a great value that offer at least industry standard reliability and durability.

So yeah there are plenty of other options but few tick ALL the checkboxes so to speak.
Old July 6, 2016, 06:31 AM   #34
PSP

Quote:
If you are in the FBI, does that mean you have to carry a Glock or can you buy your own carry gun ?
Yes, Glock only. As of several years ago the only sidearm issued was the Glock. The only sidearm serviced by their armorers was Glock.
Old July 6, 2016, 08:29 AM   #35
Onward Allusion

Hmmm, I wonder if we're going to start seeing sub-$300 used G22's out there any time soon?
Old July 6, 2016, 09:33 PM   #36
Jim Watson

Maybe some stripped parts after they scrap the frame and likely the other Euro serialized parts.
Can't have guns getting "on the street" don'cha know.
Old July 6, 2016, 10:27 PM   #37
rightside

I read the link provided. It state that each pistol must be provided with 2 frame sizes. Medium and Large. I know Sig 320 does that . I'm not a Glock guy. Can they do that?
Old July 6, 2016, 11:17 PM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

Only if you interpret it to mean interchangeable backstraps. Unless Glock is doing something special for them...
Old July 6, 2016, 11:20 PM   #39
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightside View Post
I read the link provided. It state that each pistol must be provided with 2 frame sizes. Medium and Large. I know Sig 320 does that . I'm not a Glock guy. Can they do that?
Yes with a version of the G17 (full size) and the G19 (mid size).
Old July 8, 2016, 03:49 PM   #40
artsmom

Quote:
I still don't like Glocks. They flex when they fire, and there isn't any way around it
The flex of a B-52's wing is measured in feet. In either case, I don't know if that has been causing problems for the users, but just because I haven't heard of these problems caused by flex doesn't mean they don't exist...
Old July 8, 2016, 07:31 PM   #41
testuser79

I wasn't too surprised, seems to make sense based on low cost and familiarity with the platform. The difference between the current plastic pistols is so slight that it's strange to see people argue about the marginal differences.

XD/M&P/Glock, pretty much the same. Polymer pistols with trigger safeties have their merits, but are definitely not perfect and not always the best choice. (The ubiquitous AR-15 is far from perfect for that matter!) That said, I would have preferred our tax dollars go to someone less unsavory than Gaston Glock, and maybe an American company, but oh well...

Last edited by testuser79; July 8, 2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old July 8, 2016, 08:04 PM   #42
TunnelRat

Quote:
That said, I would have preferred our tax dollars go to someone less unsavory than Gaston Glock, and maybe an American company, but oh well...
Glock is making pistols stateside now. As long as they're made here I'm happy.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 8, 2016, 09:13 PM   #43
Glenn E. Meyer

In 2014, Glock made 200K guns here and imported about 900K.

I think the gun is successful for quite a few people, despite the Internet proclamations about them. If you don't like them and can't shoot them - well, most can.
Old July 8, 2016, 09:58 PM   #44
L-2

Quote:
I read the link provided. It state(s) that each pistol must be provided with 2 frame sizes. Medium and Large. I know Sig 320 does that . I'm not a Glock guy. Can they do that?
This response is to clarify further and to provide a specific reference. Separate frame sizes (three, not just two) is only one method of accomplishing the requirement. The other is by using grip frame inserts, as the current Gen4 Glocks do.

From the solicitation, C.4.15:

Frames which allow for different hand sizes are required.

Regardless of how each Contractor accommodates different hand sizes they must be able to support at least 3 sizes commonly referred to as small, medium and large.

Two acceptable methods of accommodating for different hand sizes are:

Multiple Frame Sizes
Two alternate sizes must be available and supplied with each pistol.

Grip/Frame Inserts
Two alternate sizes must be available and supplied with each pistol.
It is required the size of a frame or insert be marked on an exterior surface (e.g., “M” for medium, “L” large) for rapid identification without disassembly.

Last edited by L-2; July 8, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old July 9, 2016, 06:33 AM   #45
testuser79

Quote:
In 2014, Glock made 200K guns here and imported about 900K.
Point taken. My position is more political, than anything else, so maybe not one for a gun forum.

Glock is still an Austrian company, whether manufacturing in the USA or not. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just suggesting that a company owned and manufacturing in the USA would do more to support our arms industry. The more I read about Gaston Glock, the less I like his company.

I just see little difference between something like a S&W M&P and a Glock. Given similar products, I'd prefer the government support an American company. It's difficult for me to believe that someone who shoots one well would not be able to adapt to the other.

Last edited by testuser79; July 9, 2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old July 9, 2016, 09:44 AM   #46
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'm just suggesting that a company owned and manufacturing in the USA would do more to support our arms industry.
Our arms industry is pretty solid.

Quote:
The more I read about Gaston Glock, the less I like his company.
Most CEOs I read about are that way. You generally don't become successful by being nice. Glock started off humble enough, but success got to his head. Pretty American story really.

Quote:
It's difficult for me to believe that someone who shoots one well would not be able to adapt to the other.
They already have holsters, magazines, parts, and agents and armorers that are trained around Glocks. As an American taxpayer I like to see government agencies saving money when they can. Frankly I'm surprised they made a practical decision.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 9, 2016, 01:21 PM   #47
PSP

Quote:
As an American taxpayer I like to see government agencies saving money when they can. Frankly I'm surprised they made a practical decision.
Amen.
Old July 10, 2016, 05:41 AM   #48
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testuser79:
The more I read about Gaston Glock, the less I like his company.
Henry Ford did a lot of negative things but if it wasn't for his Model T we might never have had affordable cars! Steve Jobs of Apple Computers was a tyrant to work for but we have better quality computers & cellphones today regardless of whether you own Apple products or not.

If you're old enough to remember how bad in general the build quality of American cars were 35 to 45 years ago, my 1974 Mustang II and 1979 Chevy Monza were both great but woeful examples, then you can appreciate it when Honda and Toyota came in to the US with cars that ran properly and were built properly in the United States, which then forced the American car companies to start cleaning up their act!

Last edited by JDBerg; July 10, 2016 at 05:51 AM.