The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2001, 04:56 AM   #1
Kframe

Hi All,
A couple questions.
I am going to get into a progressive, and have almost decided on the Lee Pro 1000.

(Please don't try to talk me into a Dillon, I don't have the cash and will not wait.)

Okay, so I'm only going to load .38/.357 for plinking (my target stuff is loaded on a single stage).

The Pro 1000 has a three-hole turret.

So, we have the sizer/decapper, the expander/powder-filler, and the seater.
No more room for a factory crimp die.

#1.Do I take all my loaded ammo and run it through the factory crimp die on my single stage...
OR
#2.Do I skip the factory crimp die since this is just plinking ammo...
OR
#3.Do I get a press that has four or five holes on the turret.

Is the factory crimp die even necessary on handgun ammo?
I have only used it on the .222Rem, and .223Rem.

Thanks in advance for the help!
-Kframe
Old April 15, 2001, 11:16 AM   #2
saands

I swear by the factory crimp die for all my semi-auto ammo ... but I don't think the factory crimp does anything for .38/.357 that isn't redundant ... you already sized the case when you deprimed it and the factory crimp on the .357 is a roll crimp like the seating die that comes with the 3-die set. The addition of another station is a $130 step up to the next press (actually get two more stations with the LoadMaster). If it is just .38/.357, IMHO it isn't an issue.
Saands
Old April 15, 2001, 02:23 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Kframe--

I understand not wanting to wait. Plenty of time to upgrade to the Dillon later on. I loaded for over 20 years on single stage presses.

That said, I use a Dillon 550B and really like applying the crimp separately. On stage three, I ONLY seat the bullet and this also takes most of the bell off the case. I seated and crimped on single stage presses for years before I became tired of shaving minute amounts of lead off in the final tiny fraction of movement. The bullet keeps pressing into the case as you turn in the case mouth, so it appears unavoidable.

Even on the single stage, I ended up adding another step, for roll crimp for revolver cartridges, or taper crimp for auto. pistol cartridges. Now I simply use another die at station four. The crimp goes nicely into place without shaving any lead.

I believe you'll be happy with running your loaded rounds into either the Lee factory crimp die or applying a standard roll crimp in a separate step, even though this is a little time consuming. As you stated, it probably makes little difference in pure plinking ammo. The more powerful the loads become, though, the more difference I think you'll see. The .357 mag loads, especially with larger amounts of slower-burning powder, need a certain amount of resistance to develop uniform pressures. Sorry I can't cite references, but I've read a couple of articles on bullet pull/uniform pressure/velocity correlation, and I am convinced.

Best,
Johnny
Old April 15, 2001, 06:05 PM   #4
Coolray

The 4 Hole Lee Turrett press is almost as fast. I use the Lee 3 hole turret and hand prime a bunch watching TV and have the expanderdie,bullet seater die and the Factory crimp in the turret. Just an Idea
Old April 15, 2001, 08:28 PM   #5
LilJoe

LoadMaster

Lee LoadMaster over the Pro1000.
Station 1) resize and deprime.
Station 2) empty turret, prime casing
Station 3) expander and charging die
Station 4) Bullet seater
Station 5) Factory crimp die. Taper for Semi's and roll for Revolver. No jams and misfeeds.
Station 6) round ready to be boxxed up and set away waiting for you to enjoy some plinking.

Only have to spend one night reloading during the week to keep up with our weekend shooting. Or when waiting for dinner everynight to keep up this the wifes shooting during the week.

Coolray, when do you resize?
Old April 17, 2001, 02:24 PM   #6
JNewhouse

Bah!

crimp plinking ammo?? BAH!!
Don't get me wrong, I love to precisely create a .308 round that will give me tiny tiny groups. BUT, when I am loading plinking rounds for my 9mm, my philosophy is economy and speed. If you don't need to crimp it, why bother? It's just more work.

P.S. If you went with a tapered cartridge, like the far superior-to-all-other-rounds 9mm, you wouldn't have to crimp.

P.P.S If you had the-best-gun-ever-made (Glock 17) you wouldn't need to crimp.
Old April 17, 2001, 04:25 PM   #7
LilJoe

No crimp.

No crimp on any of my rounds and I can't get them to feed in the Barretta. It's like trying to get Wolf 9mm to feed. Just doesn't work for me.
Old April 17, 2001, 04:36 PM   #8
muzzletalk

If you have at least 4 stages, than I don't see why you wouldn't crimp. Its not like it takes any more time.
Old April 17, 2001, 11:01 PM   #9
WalterGAII

I crimp every 9mm round that goes through my G17. Also crimp every other handgun caliber that I load.
Old April 18, 2001, 06:35 AM   #10
slo_dog

Crimp
Old April 18, 2001, 07:43 AM   #11
tonyz

For Plinking (CRIMP)

I use a Dillon SDB and also have a single Stage Press.
For 9mm plinking rounds I use station #4, dillon crimp die and use a heavey crimp. For the match ammo I use the Single Stage Press to add my Crimp with a Lee Factory crimp die or a Redding Profile Die.

Good Shooting,

Tony Z
Old April 18, 2001, 08:14 AM   #12
Master Blaster

I have a 550b and for 9mm and .45 I must crimp or it will not chamber in any of my guns, including my glock.