The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 07:25 PM   #26
Seaman

Read somewhere that they are the toughest handgun ever built, and should last a 100 years, easy. So I picked one up, despite a beauful deep blue finish, it was a little cosmetically challenged (tiny corrosion spots), so I cleaned it up including the 'rust' in all the lettering and etchings (ie crown & lion). I was just about finished, when I realized it wasn't 'orange rust' but gold ! Duh ! A collector said it might be a handgun that was issued to the palace guard. Its not a carry pistol, more of a curiosity, but it certainly could be a CCW.

The M1934 has what has to be one of the hardest slides to rack, ever. They are revolver reliable. For years I shot 3-4" groups and couldn't understand why I couldn't get the groups any tighter. Then one day I dropped my smallest finger under the finger rest extension, under the mag. Well that made all the difference. I hate finger rest extensions but have never seen a flat base M34 mag. I would cut off all the finger rest extensions but that would be ruining a classic design.

Thanks for the video. Enjoyed watching.
Old May 17, 2013, 09:04 AM   #27
dogngun

Old thread back for good reason...Just bought a 1935 Beretta...

The same as the 1934, but chambered in 7.65...(32 ACP). Mine came yesterday to my LGS. Turned out it is a 1945 date, made just after the war ended. No military markings, but I'm guessing someone brought it home after the war. It has been chromed, and it looks a little ratty in these pics, but it cleaned up very well and the bore is near perfect. I will probably be carrying it for a long time. I love the simple design,and you can take it down to clean in about 10 seconds. I have no problem with the safety or the mag release, but I have been shooting old and odd European pistols for about 40 years, so I'm used to a little variety. I expect to be shooting this one early next week, and I will let you know how it works out.

I have cleaned it a bit this morning, and it's in my pocket right now. Someone told me the only problem with these is that when you get one you want more. I think he was right about that.

mark