The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
kealil

Load for P95 works backwards?

Hey All,

So I have something that has been bugging since my last range trip and I need someone to help me understand what the heck is going on.

So I have been trying to find a sweet spot load for my P95 for about a month now but I have been having problems. I have made a total of 22 different loads for my P95, all but 4 of which have failed miserably in one way or another.

I started with this load(actually four loads because there are 4 different bullets):
125gn LRN .355 .356 .357 .358
4.7gn W231
CCI small pistol primer
1.060 OAL

I used four bullet sizes because my experience has been that even though a bore may slug to a certain size, it doesn't mean that a slightly smaller bullet wouldn't do well. The P95 slugged to .356 BTW.

All four of these loads were inaccurate and leaded like the dickens.

I followed this same pattern for a while. sometimes going lower (4.4 and 4.5 grains) and eventually starting to raise it higher (4.8 4.9 5.0 5.1 5.2). The lower charges were even less accurate and leaded even more but miraculously once I hit 5.0 grains, all leading stopped and all rounds were hitting 2" groups at 20 yards which is pretty decent for me. This puzzled me because I really just went that high on a whim to see what would happen. I then went up to 5.1 and 5.2 grains and everything was just better in general! No leading even after 300 rounds and starting getting into the 1" group territory.

So on to my question: Why did my leading stop when I hit that high of a charge? The way I was taught was that the faster you threw a lead boolit, the more likely you were to get leading. Is this not the case in general? Or am I a special case? It really doesn't matter I guess but I am curious as to why this is.

Thanks all, I look forward to your replies!
Old September 3, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Increased pressure made the bullet expand to fill the bore.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Old September 3, 2012, 11:19 PM   #3
djcantr

mrawesome22 said it. Sounds like you found your load.
Old September 4, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

I agree with the others - you pushed the bullets hard enough to force obturation, and sealed the bore.

How hard was your alloy?
Old September 4, 2012, 07:10 AM   #5
kealil

Ok, now that someone else said it, it makes sense

I dont have the exact number because I havent invested in a hardness kit. I cast my own with reclaimed bullet lead that has had a little extra antimony thrown in. The guy at the range who makes these ingots said that he brings the hardness to about 15. I also water quench which from what I understand can make the boolits harder.
Old September 4, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Yea, if you're water-dropping, they're probably harder than BHN 18-19. A bit excessive for normal 9mm use.
Old September 4, 2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Nathan

Sounds like a good load. Which size boolit worked best for you?

Generally, pressure helps! Good job!