The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2000, 03:46 PM   #1
roboref

The used S&W Mod. 629 I bought is leading the barrel heavily. I am shooting hard cast lead bullets, 240 gr bullets and 10.5 gr of Universal. These loads had not leaded up any of my other pistols. In cleaning this pistol I noticed 4 to 5 lines ( parallel) on the left side of the forcing cone. They are fairly deep and sharp. It appears as though it had been done by vice teeth or a vise grip. I am not sure if this is possible. Or maybe even done with a file. But it is leading the bore heavily.

Now my questions:

1. Is this causing the leading?
2. If it is will using jacketed bullets solve the problem?
3. If it is causing the leading, how can I correct it? S&W wanted $180 to rebarrel it.
4. I heard that Brownells has a forcing cone reamer that can fix it. Any one with experience tried it?
Old January 20, 2000, 06:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Roboref,

A forcing cone reamer is used when the cone is too small and is shaving lead. Whether yours is too small or not, I don't know, but getting it too big won't help accuracy. (It gives the bullet more opportunity to upset.)

I recommend this not be a DIY job. Let S&W do it or send it to someone like Cylinder and Slide (sorry, I don't know their address) or a good S&W certified repair center. You may be forced to a rebarreling job. It sounds like the previous owner tried to "fix" the cone himself; I doubt you can undo his work.

This sort of thing usually comes from reading the gunzines without having any real experience. The writers often don't know what they are talking about and then the reader tries to do as they suggest ("if your revolver doesn't shoot, just open up the forcing cone a little" - sure!) and then unloads the gun when the whole thing turns to crap.

Nothing personal, but just one more reason to really check over a used gun before putting down money.

Jim
Old January 20, 2000, 11:09 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Reboref, it sounds like to me that the cylinder just may be out of alignment. You did say it only shows up on the left hand side. Make a tent of a folded piece of paper and drape it over the pistol to cover the barrel cylinder gap area loosely. Fire the gun and if it's shaving lead you know it. That will mean it needs to be aligned. This too isn't a DIY repair. Take it to a competent pistolsmith, send it to S&W or if you like you can send it to me. George