The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 9, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
breakingcontact

Do you like to buy duplicates/backups or do you like to diversify?

Been considering getting another AR15.

But at the same time, been thinking of getting a Mini-14 instead, to have something different.

You?
Old December 9, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2
FALPhil

I have duplicates and diversity.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Metal god

For now what I'm doing is buying in the same caliber . I love to shoot and having to buy many different cals to go shooting sucks . So right now Im only buying 308 , 9mm , 22 , and 12ga guns . If a SS marlin 30-30 comes along I will get it but for now Im sticking with the same calibers I already have .

I just bought another 308 bolt gun and im looking for a 308 semi as well . If a good 9mm carbine comes along I"ll grab that up as well .

Back to your original question . You can never have to many ARs . I have a few and still want more as long as they have a purpose different from the ones I aready have . I don't want two that are the same .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 9, 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
alex0535

I shot a Mini-14 the other day, and I liked it a lot.

Not sure if I like the iron sights that come on it, but I didn't shoot it enough to get used to it. If I got one I would put a rail on it and put a red dot on it.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have an AR, but my other .223 is a bolt action which is mostly used for prairie dog shooting. Depends on my mood. But, I figure that the AR is a better social gun.

Going to deer camp in the back country, I'll take my .243 as a sort of backup to my '06, "In case of in case." But, either one is a good hunting rifle.

The word "diversity" has never entered my mind in thinking about buying or using a rifle. I think "purpose" and after that I might acquire some additional rifle.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
tahunua001

I do not buy duplicates per say. I have several guns in the same family but different variants.

I have 2 AR15 carbines but one is a tactical, accurized 223 and the other is a 9mm with wood furniture, two very differed worlds.

I have 2 mosin nagants, one still looks like a soviet warhorse while the other has been sporterized to look like a decent hunting rifle.

I have 2 enfield number 4s but one is still military config and the other is being sporterized and converted to 45ACP

I had(just sold one 2 days ago) 2 springfields, one is a pre WWI battle rifle while the other was a WWII era sniper.

with handguns I have had XDMs in 45ACP and 9mm in both full sized and compact offerings. never two of the same size and caliber though.

I try to keep things as simple as possible, I now refuse to stockpile any more calibers than I have to so if I can get two different feeling rifles without having to get two completely different rifles I will do that. if I could get a lever action or bolt action in 9mm or even a carbine kit for one of my XDMs I would do it in a heart beat.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:03 PM   #7
FALPhil

tahunua001, I would like to see a picure of that wood-stocked 9mm AR. Sounds interesting!
Old December 9, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
alex0535

If I ever get an AR-15, i think i would like one with wood furniture.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:34 PM   #9
WV_gunner

Although I like keeping it simple, having similar guns seems a little bit boring. If I end up getting similar calibers or similar guns, they better be something somewhat unique. For instance, I have 3 12 gauges. One is an o/u, one is a rifled pump, and the other is an old bolt action.

I don't have an AR, if I did I'd like to get a .50AE with a wood stock.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:21 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

I don't think I have ever met anyone who has a mini-14 and an AR in 556 and actually uses both of them.

Maybe if you have a target AR and a light sporter mini.

Like some others said I try to fill "needs," which are really wants. I try to keep cartridges, actions, accessories, etc as common as possible within that frame work. I end up with things like an Encore and many barrels for a shotgun.

But I also have more than one shotgun, even if they are all 12 GA
Old December 10, 2012, 07:07 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Primary uses.
Alternate uses.

Those are my considerations, based on the rifle's attributes (and any accessories).

No duplication.

Some rifles have uses that overlap, but most do not.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:20 PM   #12
tahunua001

Quote:
tahunua001, I would like to see a picure of that wood-stocked 9mm AR. Sounds interesting!
then here you go. I wanted to have a semi unique rifle when I came up with the idea for this little baby, now that Rock River Arms has discontinued this particular wood stock style I might have actually accomplished just that.

I wanted this stock style in plain walnut but they never offered it and I originally intended a traditional hunting scope to make it look more...well nontraditional but my scope of choice turned out to be horrible so I've just been using that cheap red dot. She's not MOA but man is she a great grouse gun.

Last edited by tahunua001; December 10, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Mobuck

Duplicate, triplecate,quadruplicate, and extra parts, too. The only firearm I don't have backed up is a 7mm Rem mag.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:38 PM   #14
PatientWolf

I occasionally duplicate cartridges when they are common (think .22 or something that crosses military/commercial), but not specific guns with the same chambering.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:49 PM   #15
boattale

Once I fill a using niche, I'm done. I guess I'm more of a rifle user than rifle collecter. I've got way more things I want to spend $$$ on than I have $$$ to spend.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:24 PM   #16
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattale View Post
Once I fill a using niche, I'm done. I guess I'm more of a rifle user than rifle collecter. I've got way more things I want to spend $$$ on than I have $$$ to spend.
Get out of my head.

I've got:
One bolt action .308, big game hunting and reaching out to 800 yards.
Two AR's in 5.56, both tactical (one is for wife/son)
One .22LR rifle, plinker and small game
12 GA shotgun pump, wanting a 12 GA semi too though

Handguns are similarly approached
Old December 10, 2012, 11:15 PM   #17
breakingcontact

How about that 550 cord rifle sling! I like that.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:50 PM   #18
tahunua001

haha thanks, I've done that to a couple rifles. it only costs about $3 in paracord and they are actually really comfortable. I still haven't perfected it though. works well enough though.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:04 AM   #19
uradaisyifudo

I lean more toward purpose than duplicate, which means I land on the diversity side of things. 300 win mag bolt action to reach out and touch someone, 308 semi auto to throw some lead down range, 45, 40 and 9mm pistol calibers, 12 guage of course, but I need a semiauto . They all have their strengths, as do different platforms. When I do get that semiauto shotgun, I can't see getting rid of the 870, just way too much fun to rack pump action.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:28 PM   #20
ronl

I pick rifles for specific purposes. I have a long range precision rifle(700 .308), medium range precision rifle (Savage 10 FCP Choate .223), Varmint rifle(AR platform .223), general purpose rifle( Robarms XCR .223, Springfield Armory M1A), and a HD rifle(lightweight AR, Daewoo K-2). I prefer to cover the bases and, as you can tell, prefer to stick to a limited number of calibers. It makes reloading easier.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:35 PM   #21
taylorce1

I just sold off most of my .30-06 rifles down to just one now. I realized I needed to thin down when I looked in my safe and I had six and I'd only ever shot one. I had four Winchester M70 classics (3 FWT, 1 sporter), a JC Higgins FN Mauser, and a Stevens 200. I kept one M70 FWT and rebarreled the sporter to .338-06, and sold the rest off.

I still own three .223's, two each .204 Ruger, .243 Win, .250 Savage, .30-30 Win, .338-06, and .35 Whelen rifles.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:36 PM   #22
mavracer

I don't have any exact duplicates, but redundancy abounds. I've got 3 ARs and a mini and while they're all different setups there's plenty of overlap in capability and just for good measure there's a Garand, a M1A and a M1 Carbine in my safe.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 12, 2012, 12:39 PM   #23
L_Killkenny

I have no time for duplicates, I won't own similar platforms with similar cartridges. So not only is the AR out but I wouldn't get a Mini either.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:09 AM   #24
FALPhil

tahunua001, thanks for the pics! Very, very nice. My 9mmAR is pretty much run-of-the-mill. It is a RR upper on an Aero lower with a Spikes magwell adapter. It is a lot of fun, and my girls really enjoy shooting it as well. I have commercial mags and modified Uzi mags for it.

Back to the thread: I have a couple of other ARs which are rigged out pretty similar. Plus a number of FAL which are duplicates.

I ended up with duplicate M57s:

I also have a small Garand collection.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:48 AM   #25
old roper

I found it pretty convenient to have some duplicate rifles cut from the same reamer as back up rifle or for volume PD shooting.
NRA Life Member