The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1
H.H. Hipshot

Winchester Model 12 Question

Howdy the forum,

I recently purchased a neglected Winchester model 12 pump made around 1926. I cleaned it up and reoiled it, and it seems to function ok, except for one item.

After firing, I have to push the forearm forward just slightly to get the action to unlock.

Is this normal?
Does something need adjusting?
Should I just run 200 rounds or so through it and see if it loosens up?

I will appreciate any help,

HHH
Old September 24, 2005, 12:58 PM   #2
AAshooter

Many pumps will not release with rearward pressure on the forestock. I believe what you are discribing is normal. I guess it depends the extent to which you have to apply forward pressure/movement to get it to unlock.

Many novice shooters are surprised at this. Are you comfortable/familar with pump shotguns in general?

Maybe a Model 12 expert can hop in here.
Old September 24, 2005, 01:56 PM   #3
aspen1964

I am going to assume that you have only dry-fired it...I bought an unfired model 12 riot(still haven't taken time to shoot it yet)..I noticed the same thing when working the action after some cleaning...it is a characteristic of the gun, noticed.. when dry-fired but it disappears when shooting shells through it...
Old September 24, 2005, 02:33 PM   #4
H.H. Hipshot

Howdy AA and Aspen,

I have a couple of other shotguns that do not require pushing forward to unlock, so that is why I noticed this one as being different.

Mine required forward pressure with snap caps, so I took it to the farm yesterday and ran 6 live rounds through it. I expected it to unlock under recoil, but it did not.

If I were dove hunting or skeet shooting, this extra "forward" motion would mess up a second shot.

HHH
Old September 24, 2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Lorenzo

M12

John Satterwaite throws 7 clay targets straight up and breaks them all in the air with a Winchester M12.

Most auto's would be too slow.

Lorenzo
Old September 26, 2005, 11:40 AM   #6
Star54

This is normal for a Model 12. Usually the recoil is enough to take care of this for you...when you are shooting, do you put any rearward pressure on the forearm (so that it automatically comes back after firing)? I do this with mine (all pumps, really) and do not have a problem. I suppose the mechanism that does this in your gun could be a little stiffer (or different in some way) than most.

Star54