The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 27, 2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Kingcuda

Winchester 357 mag white box failure to fire

I bought a box of winchester 357 mag 110 grain jacketed hollow points to test out in my taurus tracker and was disappointed when 3 out of the 50 rounds didnt fire. I dont understand why they didnt fire because the primers did have dents in them, I was able to get them to fire after trying them a second time. Ive had the taurus for about 4 months and have put near 800 rounds through it and never had a problem with any other ammo ive used, most of it being federal brand ammo. I have thoroughly inspected my revolver for any issues and have not found any and have also put 100 more rounds of federal through the gun since trying the winchester with no problems. I find it hard to believe that with a name like winchester I would have that kind of problem with the ammo so im wondering if anybody els has heard of this problem with winchester, or any other brand of ammo. Give me your thoughts
Old January 27, 2016, 12:41 PM   #2
buck460XVR

The firing after the second try tells me either the primers were not seated fully or the gun is making light strikes. I'd bet on the latter. The trackers have a reputation for light strikes. Federal primers are supposedly softer than most other primers, thus folks that experience light strikes tend to stick with them.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:51 PM   #3
ammo.crafter

light

Contact Winchester, save the unfired rounds and they will make good on the box.

If light hits continue, note if same is with a particular cylinder. If so, return gun for servicing.

If not try a different brand of shells and see what happens.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:59 PM   #4
ammo.crafter

no bang

Make note if he misfire occurs in the same cylinder, if so, it’s the gun. Make certain the cylinder is cleaned and the shell seats properly.

Try a different brand of ammo and see if you have the same problem and also, carefully inspect the primer strikes for uniformity.
Old January 27, 2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Real Gun

Check the rim thickness. That will affect the distance from the firing pin. Winchester brass works great for me, but I did just get a gun back (Ruger Secuirty Six) for light strikes and should have analyzed the brass.
Old January 29, 2016, 10:36 AM   #6
Skeets
Member in memoriam

O

True WWB having QC problems,switch to Remington&Federal problems gone!Sad to seeWinchester allow this to continue to happen!
Old January 29, 2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Real Gun

I hope thumb typing doesn't become acceptable as the new norm.
Old January 29, 2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Kingcuda

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did check the rim thickness and the winchester does have a slightly thinner rim than the federal ive been using so maybe thats what the problem is. Guess I will just stay away from winchster ammo