The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 17, 2015, 09:17 PM   #51
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The only one I really miss is the 10in bull barrel stainless Super Blackhawk that I had in the 80's.

Man that thing was scary accurate.
-------Metallica
Old November 17, 2015, 09:47 PM   #52
ripnbst

G23, at the time I didn't know it could be converted to 9mm.
Old December 9, 2015, 04:09 PM   #53
chaim

Most of the guns I sold, there were good reasons (other than only financial need), so while I may sometimes wish I still had them, I don't really regret the sale. There a few guns I truly regret and one or two more I wish I kept, but it isn't that big a deal.

I most regret selling my .40S&W SIG P229. It was a great gun, but I needed the money. I am a teacher, and where I used to work didn't pay us over the summer, and due to some unexpected expenses, I didn't have enough to get through the summer so I sold one my favorite guns because it was worth the most and I needed to pay bills.

I regret my CZ 40B, I didn't love .40S&W yet so I sold it and they have been out of production and nearly impossible to find and replace for years. I sold a S&W 57 from the first year of production because it was so hard (and expensive) to find .41mag ammo (why didn't I just start reloading the caliber ).

The last one, it isn't so much the gun (a Taurus 82), nothing wrong with it, but it was a pretty plain-Jane medium frame .38spl with no particular history or pedigree. It will be easy to replace. However, it was my first handgun and I got rid of it for a stupid reason. I figured I'd only own a small number of guns: a couple rifles, a shotgun, one revolver, and one pistol. When I bought the .357mag I really wanted and a 1911 the revolver and pistol I already had were to be sold because I only needed one of each. Now, I really wish I still had my first handgun, and I have a lot more than one revolver and one pistol.
Old December 10, 2015, 02:39 PM   #54
849ACSO

A 1006 that I had for a week. Traded into it, offered good money to sell it, and had no attachment to it. This was all done when they were still in current production.

Hindsight..........
Old December 10, 2015, 05:36 PM   #55
Evil Monkey

Quote:
Second gen Colt SAA.357, couple Winchester 92s, Colt Woodsman, 308 Ruger 77 International, couple Colt 1917s 3 5" Smith 27s, Walther P-4, MAC10 select fire. Etc. We all have a cross to bear.
my goodness....
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old December 10, 2015, 09:17 PM   #56
lockedcj7

I've bought, sold and traded lots of guns over the years and don't regret any of it. I've sold a few, temporarily regretted it and bought a virtually identical replacement. I usually ended up with a nicer gun for the same money, sometimes less. Nothing I own is so rare that it can't be replaced.
Old December 30, 2015, 08:40 AM   #57
rodfac

Oh man....a 1933 vintage Luger 9mm, in virtually new condition, still in the original packing case with holster, take down tool and two matching magazines. The gun was in a packing crate with German WWll markings, Russian stamps, N. Korean and Chinese stampings, as well as N. Vietnamese. It came out of a cash in Cambodia in 1970, overrun when we went in with Special Forces.

Word was 'they' were going to search our hold baggage enroute back to the 'world' after my tour in Vietnam, so the gun and all its accoutrements went to my replacement....

I could have put both of my sons through Harvard on the collector value of that pistol...

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 30, 2015, 09:03 AM   #58
kenny53

I do miss a Rock Island Mil Spec 1911. I will replace it one day.
Old January 1, 2016, 01:24 PM   #59
Moonglum

The very first handgun I ever bought was a S&W model 915. It wasn't a collector's item but it was my first.
Old January 1, 2016, 06:29 PM   #60
orionengnr

In a perfect world, CheapShooter's rule would be perfect.
However, it comes with a heavy penalty...if you never want to buy a new gun, you never have to sell any of your existing guns. Not a trade-off many of us will make.

In the world most of us live in, if you want to buy something new, you need to sell something old. That is known as being an adult, and making adult decisions.

Most of us don't own 12 homes, 12 cars, 12 snowmobiles, 12 motorcycles...however, if we do it right, we can own 12 firearms.

However...12 firearms equates to about one car, motorcycle or snowmobile...and nowhere near one home.

Yes, I have a few I wish I had kept. I could make a list...but it would be a short list.

On the other side, I have owned a whole bunch of guns that I would never have known of, or owned....except that I sold/traded something that I no longer really desired.

On balance, very few regrets. And none of them show stoppers.
Old January 3, 2016, 02:37 PM   #61
salvadore

Evil Monkey, you gif says it all.
Old January 5, 2016, 12:24 AM   #62
moe.ron

delete....
Old January 5, 2016, 01:37 PM   #63
Stevie-Ray

AMT Govt. Never a magazine without a failure of some kind, even dripping with RIG +P. I would love to have that one back, simply because now that I have the time to make it work....by God, I would. I shouldn't and don't really miss it though, as I bought my Colt Mark IV with the proceeds from it as a down payment, and that's my finest gun. Only other gun I've sold, I don't miss at all.
Old January 5, 2016, 04:13 PM   #64
moe.ron

I sold the very first pistol I ever bought, a P239. Should have held onto that one.
Old January 5, 2016, 04:38 PM   #65
WVsig

Only one and I got it back....

Old January 5, 2016, 05:39 PM   #66
pnac

I miss a lot of them, my pre '64 Winchesters that I sold when I got married and thought the extra money might come in handy, my S&W mod.35 (like the mod.34 , .22 Kit Gun with 6" barrel, don't know how rare it is, but I haven't run across another one and was my first Smith), S&W mod.39, 9mm, shot very well when I found the right load and was easy to carry, S&W mod.52, .38 Spl that was amazing with the right load, ...
I guess the lesson is "Don't sell any of your guns!", you're probably going to regret it.

On second thought, I was glad to see some of them go, sort of like old girlfriends and ex-wives!
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons

Last edited by pnac; January 5, 2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old January 6, 2016, 10:47 AM   #67
Bob Wright

All of the guns I've sold/traded went for guns beter suited to my area of study at the time.

Do wish I had my Python back so I could sell it at today's prices! Otherwise, I sure don't miss that revolver.

Bob Wright
Old January 6, 2016, 04:39 PM   #68
mk70ss

I constantly wish I still had my H&K P7 and my 2 1/2 inch Colt Python.
Old January 6, 2016, 04:48 PM   #69
Fla_dogman

S&W 686 4" it was my first duty gun.
Old January 7, 2016, 11:57 AM   #70
tallball

I have always followed Cheapshooter's rule, with the out clause "unless you REALLY don't like it". So I have no regrets.
Old January 7, 2016, 01:47 PM   #71
ilift

couple of P7M8, and a Ed Brown Cobra Carry
Old January 18, 2016, 08:44 AM   #72
Homerboy

Pretty much every metal gun I have ever had, I regret selling, just because the price I see them going for now is double what I paid for them 10 years ago. I bought a mint S&W 66-2 in April, 2005, for $325. Sold it for $425 2 years later. A Model 64 4" bought used for $175 in 2011, now they're over $400.

But the one TRUE regret I have was a S&W Model 19-2, 4" barrel. Gun was PERFECT. Must have been sitting in a sock drawer since 1967 when it was made. Diamond target stocks with matching number to the gun. Mirror bluing. Pinned and recessed. Flawless. Got it for $249 in a gun shop. Owner's son had just gotten it in that morning. Probably from the widow of the owner when she was clearing out his things. Kid said "nobody wants revolvers anymore". I nearly broke my arm getting my wallet out. I shot exactly 50 rounds out of it and cleaned it. But it was so nice I knew I'd never shoot it much, if ever. I sold it 3 months after buying it for $775. Yeah, I tripled my money, but that money is long spent and I do miss that beautiful revolver.

Plastic guns have come and gone and I could care less. I have a really nice Model 10 that my son will get one day. He really likes the look and feel of that revolver. He likes my 67-1 also, but he's more drawn to the blued Smith.
Old January 18, 2016, 09:02 AM   #73
geetarman

I traded off a Colt Sport Woodsman for a revolver.
I gave a Belgian Browning Challenger to my uncle.
I sold a Smith and Wesson Model 66 first year production.
I sold a German Walther PPK that I bought new for $98 in 1967.
I sold a like new Browning HP to a friend. . .for no good reason at all.
I sold a Belgian Browning Sweet 16 that I bought in high school. I paid $127 for it at Sears and sold it for $100 after I got out of the Navy in 1967.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 18, 2016, 09:28 AM   #74
WaltherRuger

A W. German made PPK/S in 7.65 mm. It never malfunctioned. It felt perfect in the pocket. I needed the money, but definitely should have sold something else

Last edited by WaltherRuger; January 18, 2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old January 19, 2016, 05:54 PM   #75
jasmith85

I sold a couple that I regret now. The first was a Walther PP made around 1940 and the second was a Dan Wesson 32 Magnum. I can't remember the model for the Dan Wesson, but I did not realize just how rare the 32 Magnums are until after I had sold it.