The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Don'tkillbill

Sunday's Shotgun "Combat" Course

Here's a little clip of our shotgun shoot.

We just started a few weeks ago and its a lot of fun not to mention a little exercise.

We generaly shoot 25 shells a week plus slugs but our gong is out of commission. Every heat is different. Some you start loaded some you have to load yourself as your timed. I had a bad day missing 2 target.

Check it out on video if you have a moment.

http://youtu.be/cYo7oXTNzbo

Our shotguns ready for action.

Snapshot 1 (10-11-2013 5-29 PM) by Don'tkillbill, on Flickr

Here's my barricade

Shotgun day 032 by Don'tkillbill, on Flickr
Old November 11, 2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Bake

Very, very nice, specially the fact that you guys were using "REAL" everyday shotguns. Throw in some skeet, a little trap, and you will be ready...
Old November 11, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Bake

Oh! Couple of questions, what loads were you using, which chokes were you using, and what "level" were the "pepper poppers" set at?
Old November 11, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Don'tkillbill

2 Weeks ago I was using my full length Model 12 and the first week we did it I used my duck gun Baikel mp-153

Most of us were using target loads with 7 1/2 shot. The chokes; my gun the High Standard is cylinder bore so was the 590, The 1100 is a skeet choke. I think the 870 clone is modified.

The pepper poppers can be hard to get to work but after a round or two they work as expected. I'd like a midsized silhouette and we talked about building a Texas star.

We didn't do slugs this week because our gong chain broke last week. 25 yards was too close and the target took a beating.

Glad you enjoyed it. We have some bigger targets but one of the guys with them couldn't make it. We will work up to a round with 7-10 shots in one round with a few more targets.

Last edited by Don'tkillbill; November 11, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Bake

Like I said earlier, it looks "Good To Go". Way back when, my pistol club would use a 9mm to calibrate the poppers. We ran a shotgun match as a side match, but after a couple of matches, we had more shot gunners, than hand gunners.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Don'tkillbill

Yeah we run a duty match or a PPC revolver match alternating Sundays and then we started this a month ago. Its addictive I almost bought a short shotgun last night even though I love my High Standard. Its only an hour and a box of target loads is 10 bucks. No reloading except slugs
Old November 12, 2013, 01:30 AM   #7
Bake

I assume your PPC Revolvers are light 38 Spe. If so, you could use them to calibrate the poppers, insuring that your shot gun loads will work as defensive loads at the distances you're shooting at.

When (and you will) you get bigger, you could have 2 classes, one for pumps, and one for autos.

I always like stages with reloads. 3 poppers, and reload, and 3 small plates that were hiding behind the poppers, for a total of 6 shots.
Old November 12, 2013, 06:20 AM   #8
Don'tkillbill

I tried running it with my auto and it seemed wrong
Old November 13, 2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Bake

As your group and courses grow, you maybe find yourself leaning toward the autos more & more. More targets at a single position, plus less running around. Of course if you're a "LEO", and your PD. issues pumps, then you should stay with the pumps.

The most important thing is to have fun!...