The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
BoogieMan

New ML for whitetail suggestions

I gave my son my TC Whitemountain, so im shopping. I am also looking for a 12ga slug gun. My first thought is a TC Encore with the 2 barrels. After looking at price it seems I could get a Savage 220 for slug and a ML and still be less money.
Are Encores that good? Are there alternatives? What inlines should I look at?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 21, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Pahoo

Many Choices

The White Mountains are neat little rifles and one of my favorites. I thing the size is perfect for the kids and ladies. ...

Quote:
Are Encores that good? Are there alternatives? What inlines should I look at?
Understand that I have been a TC fan, for many years. An objective view is that they are good but mostly for the versatility. However, for a dedicated M/L, you can find just as good and saver yourself some money. Now, as far as In-Lines go, there are many good choices. I'd recommend a "used" TC Black Diamond. If you want a closed breech system then get one of the any break actions out there. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 21, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Old Stony

If you could locate a TC New Englander, you could get both shotgun and rifle. They are a lot of fun with a traditional old sidelock. I see them for sale on the auctions and usually not for much money.

Last edited by Old Stony; August 21, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:25 AM   #4
BoogieMan

TC, CVA, Knight does it make any difference other than my fit preference and features? Is quality an issue with any manufacturer?
I found a used TC Omega for $300 local to me. This is a camo, thumbhole gun so price seems pretty good. Any one own one?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 22, 2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Bezoar

there are differences in the inlines. especially now. but in the end its the old old conundrum

who should feel happier with a gun they own? the one who bought a 1st or 2nd generation colt saa and just looks at it. Or the person who bought a pietta clone and smiles every other weekend when hes shooting it...
Old August 22, 2013, 06:46 AM   #6
cdmckane

Re: New ML for whitetail suggestions

I've got the TC Pro Hunter FX
Old August 22, 2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

For a one weapon only guy and resale value. The Encore is top of the line for those purpose's. Quite a few barrels can be purchased for it. {No doubt about that.} But for black powder. That real stainless Omega w/ the gray laminated stock sure fits my shoulder perfect. To be honest I don't care for the way T/Cs Pro-Hunter and a couple of their other B/P rifles fit me. They just don't feel right when I bring them up to shoulder. As far as Savage is concerned. When they discontinued making their model 99. I lost interest in their product lines shortly there after. But from those who I know own a current Savage bolt rifle (2-fellows) both always comment in a positive way about their rifle/s.

BTW. If I failed to mention earlier. That was nice of you to give your White Mtn Carbine to your Son. That Sir was indeed >(+1) generous thing to do.

S/S
Old August 22, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
BoogieMan

Quote:
BTW. If I failed to mention earlier. That was nice of you to give your White Mtn Carbine to your Son. That Sir was indeed >(+1) generous thing to do
Please dont confuse me with a nice guy.
Seriously my father made sure I always had what I needed. A youth Wingmaster, then the White Mountain, then a 7600 in 30-06. When my boys got old enough they get what they need. my 18 y/o got my fathers 7600 and my Browning BP. The 16 y/o got a Marlin 30/30 from a close friend , a Gold Fusion and the White Mountain. They are our children and should always be our first priority. I cant wait to hand down my youth Wingmaster to my 8 y/o daughter. IMO guns are a special type of tool. They can protect, feed and provide entertainment. Those that are handed down are much better than those in the store any day.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 22, 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Those that are handed down are much better than those in the store any day.
You got that right. Indeed they are.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; August 22, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Accidental re-opening. Got'ta watch those (left) mouse clicks.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Pahoo

Flexibility

BoogieMan
The reason I suggested a used TC Black Diamond is because you have the option of using the three types of M/L primers. Currently I'm using a Musket primer in mine. You also stated that you wanted an In-Line. If you prefer the closed breech, then this is not the one you want. Used prices are very affordable as well. ....

God luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 25, 2013, 12:18 PM   #11
thallub

Quote:
I'd recommend a "used" TC Black Diamond. If you want a closed breech system then get one of the any break actions out there.
IMO: The TC Black Diamond guns are as good as it gets. Mine is set up for #11 caps. It shoots much better than my Encore.

This company has new in the box .50 caliber Black Diamonds for sale:

http://store.thirdgenerationshooting...fm/2,4385.html
Old August 25, 2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Pahoo

Thanks !!

Hey thallub,
That is a pretty neat site, went in shopping and found some good "stuff"

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:54 AM   #13
BoogieMan

What kind of performance can I get out of the modern inline BP rifles? Planning on using sabots with 120-150gr of the disc/puck style powder.
Im sure 100yds is pretty good, how about 150 or even 200yds? What velocities are they averaging?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 26, 2013, 04:39 PM   #14
thallub

Quote:
What kind of performance can I get out of the modern inline BP rifles?
A 100 grain measured charge of Pyrodex powder behind a saboted 240-260 grain bullet will give a muzzle velocity of 1,750-1,800 fps. Two Pyrodex pellets will give about the same velocity.

Quote:
how about 150 or even 200yds?
i will pass on most shots at 150 yards. Only a very experienced muzzleloader hunter who has fired numerous 200 yard shots at targets should take a 200 yard shot on a game animal. Even then he should take a 200 yard shot only under the best conditions; animal standing still, no wind and a good rest.

In 14 years of hunting almost exclusively with inline muzzleloaders i've made three long shots on animals: Killed a deer at 172 yards, a hog at 192 yards, and a hog at 226 yards.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:42 PM   #15
shortwave

Quote:
Only a very experienced muzzleloader hunter who has fired numerous 200 yard shots at targets should take a 200 yard shot on a game animal. Even then he should take a 200 yard shot only under the best conditions; animal standing still, no wind and a good rest.
Now that sounds like advice from an experienced bp shooter.
Old August 27, 2013, 06:36 AM   #16
BoogieMan

thallub@- Thank you. Thats exactly the advice I was looking for. Sounds like your a responsible hunter. I had a guy tell me yesterday that he can take deer at 300yds with a BP or Slug gun. If I dont have a 1 shot kill I wont pull the trigger, nothing worse than a wounded deer running off and dieing without being harvested. Sounds like a BP is a reliable 100 to 150yd gun. Thats plenty for hunting the NJ woods. Majority of shots will likely be less than 50yds.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown