The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Mainah

Shotgun Hunting Question

Several times over the years I've spotted a grouse in the branches above me while I'm sitting and waiting for a deer with a slug chambered in my 870. And I'm drawn to double barreled guns.

Would it make sense to invest in one and head out with a load of birdshot in one chamber and a slug (or buckshot) in the other? Of course only when the seasons overlap.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Kimber84

Shotgun Hunting Question

Our small game seasons are suspended during our deer gun season.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Doyle

Good luck trying to find a double barrel that will shoot a slug to point of aim at even 25 yds - much less at 50.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Mainah

If I have the shotgun I'm almost always dealing with a scenario that involves ten yards or less due to heavy cover. But that's a good point. And to be honest I really want a coach gun for hd.

But I do wonder if Americans used this system in the past. It seems to make sense. I once stalked what turned out to be a flock of turkeys in pursuit of a deer. They weren't in season (although they always should be in my neck of the woods now), and I had slugs loaded in the 870.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
jmr40

If legal, a revolver loaded with shotshells.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Get yourself a 22 pistol with adjustable sights. Sight it in with 22 shorts or CCI 22 CB long. 50 ft distance is plenty for targeting it too.
I use to keep a pistol in my stand with me for birds in 22 cal. Most of the time I'd see a couple birds at the very least walking around on the forest floor during deer season. Definitely a nice treat for supper they make.. Until I started seeing Gray Wolf. Now its something more suitable for the purpose.

S/S
Old July 9, 2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Backwoodsboy

Make sure its legal, I know here in NY it is illegal to have any round chambered that shoots more than a single projectile while big game hunting.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:02 AM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
Make sure its legal
^^^This!^^^

In Ohio, during deer shotgun season(slug only), don't get caught with shot shells. Too, when small game hunting using shot shells, don't get caught with slugs in your possession.
Old July 10, 2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Erno86

I would forego the urge to shoot the grouse with birdshot, and keep waiting for that deer with slugs.

--- George Orwell
Old July 10, 2013, 04:05 PM   #10
AllenJ

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to invest that kind of money when all you really need to do carry some birdshot (if it is legal in your area) in your pocket and change out shells when it is called for.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Mainah

Great advice, thanks everyone. I'll make sure to check the laws via a phone call to a local warden- the website here is harder to figure out than Chinese Algebra. And I like the .22 idea, I'd still get a new gun out of the deal.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:33 PM   #12
TMW89

How bout a bow?
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old July 11, 2013, 08:34 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Most upland hunting for birds must be done with a shotgun shooting shot, not 22s, bows or similar - as stated, check your hunting regulations. How hard is it to fill your deer tag? If really easy then use your stand for grouse (again if legal) after you get your deer and go bird hunting
Old July 13, 2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Here in this State. You can hunt birds rabbit squirrels with any type firearm other than a machine gun. Even during deer, bear, or duck season its legal. Hunting ducks does require a shotgun for that purpose. If the game I take is during its legal scheduled season. As long as I have a Small Game license and in this case a deer license also in my possession. I'm good.
The trick in taking a bird while in or on a deer stand is being quiet about it. Don't want to chase a nice deer back deep into the woods because of a loud crack in the quiet woods from a 22 LR or shotgun. Thus 22 shorts or a CCI 22 Long CB work pretty good for that purpose. Pick the bird up when your leaving your stand is how I do it.
Check with your states game dept first is indeed correct so many prior have said

S/S.
Old July 15, 2013, 11:19 AM   #15
scottycoyote

you may want to look into some of the pcp style air rifles in 22cal. Im thinking of picking up a marauder pistol, it comes with a removeable stock that turns it into a small carbine. That would be just the ticket for small game quiet hunting during deer season.
Old July 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #16
buck460XVR

I'd be much more concerned with the legalities than about scaring a deer with the sound of gunfire. Deer quickly forget the sound of a gun and over the years I have had deer come out in the field by my range while I was shooting at targets or have had another deer come down the trail before I could get down from the tree after shooting one. The movement from taking the shot or retrieving the game would also for me, be more of a consideration than the shot itself. Same goes for Turkeys. Don't know how many times I have had a tom come in after shooting one that came in quicker.....or after shooting a coyote hunting the sounds of my hen calls. While I used to refrain years ago from takin' 'yotes that came in while working a bird in the distance, I know now that I just passed up a lot of legitimate opportunities for nuttin'. Besides, anymore, I generally have more opportunities to take a tom than yotes.
Old July 16, 2013, 08:14 AM   #17
ChasingWhitetail91

Not sure how high these branches are above you but i'd invest in a decent sling shot. I wouldn't shoot a grouse during deer season if the thing was attacking me with eight of its buddies. You never know when that big ol swamp donkey is gonna show itself.
Old July 16, 2013, 12:10 PM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by ChasingWhitetail91:

I wouldn't shoot a grouse during deer season if the thing was attacking me with eight of its buddies. You never know when that big ol swamp donkey is gonna show itself.

Around here the chances of fillin' up on grouse(5) is more of a challenge than shootin' a so called "swamp donkey". They're much easier to get outta the woods, less of a task preparing for the table and a better eat. Their season is generally shorter and their preferred habitat harder to find. Everyone has their priorities, but Iffin I had nine grouse attackin' me, I'd lie down and fight like a girl......