The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 8, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Armed Babysitters?

Just a strange thought I had in passing. Has anyone ever thought of offering services as an armed babysitter? Concealed carry permit, complete (obviously clean) background check, etc. in addition to normal babysitting duties? I imagine you'd also want to be trained in things like CPR and emergency management. still, it occurs to me that there are people out there who would want a trained, armed babysitter watching their kids when they're gone. This could even be an off duty cop or military personnel moonlighting for some extra cash. Has anyone ever seen or done it? Would you pay more for an armed babysitter, or at all?
Old May 8, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

Armed Babysitters?

I think it is a good idea, especially with firearm expertise credentials such as former MP, LEO, or graduate of training school such as Gunsite.

The only restriction I would apply is female only. Statistically most sex abuse is done by us men. We have seen two cases involving friends who trusted male friends who eventually molested the kids. Just not worth risking the odds for this specific situation. We had a firm family policy of only female babysitters, and then rarely used one at all.

But a female, background checked, trained and armed babysitter would be a great premium service. Or an armed female family friend whom we knew their skill and safety level.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Skans

How much do you plan on paying for that baby sitter? The 16 year old girl down the road charges $8/hour. How much is a 21+ year old with a CC permit going to charge for her services? Also, if part of the service you are offering has to do with being armed, in most states that puts you into a completely different licensing category. CC permit/license won't cut it. You need to be a licensed armed guard.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
dakota.potts

Skans, those are good points. And that is exactly why this is nothing more an a passing thought haha. I would never feel safe being that babysitter what with all the possible legal hoops but I was curious if anybody actually had done that.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Re: Armed Babysitters?

Well, I babysit for family sometimes.... And they know that I am armed. Does that count?
Old May 8, 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
SPEMack618

Yeah, my first thought when I saw this was that both my older sister and girlfriend routinely babysit, and they both have thier carry permits.

And they both go armed.

Never thought much about it.

I know that my big sister chargers about ten-fifteen dollars an hours and doesn't seem to have problems finding work when she wants it. Like over Christmas break and such.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Mobuck

I keep my Grandkids fairly often. Their parents know that those kids are better protected than any other place they could be. Like a grizzly's cub, any perceived threat would be met by overwhelming resistance.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
How much is a 21+ year old with a CC permit going to charge for her services? Also, if part of the service you are offering has to do with being armed, in most states that puts you into a completely different licensing category. CC permit/license won't cut it. You need to be a licensed armed guard.
Probably about $10-11/ hour. That seems to be the going rate out here. The bigger issue is about liability insurance if the baby sitter shoots someone. I'd have some serious questions to my home owners policy or to whoever I hired about that. You could end up in court for the actions of your contractor.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Mobuck

I got called away and couldn't finish my thoughts on my other [post.
If you're talking about advertising and charging for "armed baby sitting", that would be closer to "body guarding". I'm just guessing that one would need some serious liability insurance to go down that road.
Old May 10, 2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Skans

My point of view is that I don't care if the baby sitter carries a gun or not, as long as she is responsible. I won't be paying extra for this service. I also wouldn't employ someone who wants to pretend to be an armed guard by thinking they need to use their gun to protect my kids. I'd rather the baby sitter focus their attention on playing cards, monopoly, or something else fun during her stay.
Old May 10, 2013, 03:51 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I would consider an armed female babysitter who is paid the same rate a bonus. Nobody would suspect that she can defend herself and your child in your home.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:20 PM   #12
g.willikers

Oh, you meant armed against intruders and kidnappers.
Here, I was thinking that you meant armed against the little monsters that the baby sitter is baby sitting.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:19 PM   #13
manta49

I think it would depend who you were talking to. Not everyone would want a armed baby sitter some would worry about the possibility of a accident or children getting hold of the firearm. You would have to weigh that up with the need for a armed baby sitter how common is it for a baby sitter to need a firearm.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:30 PM   #14
JerryM

I would only accept an armed baby sitter if I knew for sure she had the proper training and experience plus maturity to be armed in my home without me being there.
I would not trust the average CHL holder to be either competent or mature enough in judgment to be my children's baby sitter.

Of course it is not a problem for me as I have no small children.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.