The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1
buddalo

284 winchester

Where can I get brass for this caliber?
Old February 9, 2013, 12:09 AM   #2
603Country

Winchester still makes it, per a recent catalog I was looking at. You might wind up backordered, but you can order from several places (Natchez Shooter Supply being one of them). Under worse case conditions, I suppose that you could order 6.5-284 cases and neck em up.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
sourdough44

I've been itching to load something recently. I ended up doing some new loads for my A-Bolt 'Micro-Medallion' in 284 win. Even though I still have close to 80 factory rounds that came with the gun.

It's such a handy gun I decided to make some coyote, deer, & wolf combination rounds. Yes, the likelihood of using one on wolf is remote.

To this end I went with the 120 grn Sierra Gameking over a charge of IMR-4350. That powder seems to score high in several manual recommendations. I'll just set them aside for the next sight check to see how they do. My magazine length of 2.85" was limiting on COL. The chamber would accept up to 3.06" or so.

Yes, 284 brass can be spotty. It's out there if one is willing to pay. I just used some factory empties I had around.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:49 PM   #4
schmellba99

I have a handful of brass for this round that I'll sell you for cheap. Only problem is that I cant' tell you how much I have offhand because it's at the house and I'm at work.
Old March 13, 2013, 04:32 PM   #5
LAH

I just about turned the world over looking for this brass & could find zero. This is a seasonal run product which is only run by WW ever year or two. I found some new brass for sale on cast boolits for a customer of mine.