The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2009, 11:08 PM   #26
LanceOregon

Quote:
For sporting AND FITASC, I'd go LM/IM. For sporting only, I'd go IC/M or IC/IM - all assuming I did have a selectable trigger.
Dude, you are also assuming here that you are shooting an over/under. Some of us prefer to shoot semiauto shotguns.

You are making too many assumptions, and over simplifying issues in this matter.

--
Old September 16, 2009, 11:14 PM   #27
LanceOregon

Quote:
I will never be loading non-lead ammo I am strictly a meat hunter to aquire meat for less cash than it can be bought for.
Brent
In that case, I feel even greater pity for you Brent.

For you will never know the excitement and utter joy of waterfowl hunting that I and so many other shotgun hunters have.

--
Old September 17, 2009, 07:50 AM   #28
oneounceload

Quote:
For sporting AND FITASC, I'd go LM/IM. For sporting only, I'd go IC/M or IC/IM - all assuming I did have a selectable trigger.
Dude, you are also assuming here that you are shooting an over/under. Some of us prefer to shoot semiauto shotguns.

You are making too many assumptions, and over simplifying issues in this matter.
NO, I said for ME, i.e. personally. I also have a semi, but I prefer my O/U or a well-fitted SxS - Some of us perfer to shoot doubles.......

But oif the folks I know who shoot a semi, 95% stick a LM in the pipe and forget about it

Last edited by oneounceload; September 17, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old September 17, 2009, 07:51 AM   #29
oneounceload

Quote:
I will never be loading non-lead ammo I am strictly a meat hunter to aquire meat for less cash than it can be bought for.
Brent
There may come a time when you won't have a choice.......hopefully everyone here is an NRA member - they look out for hunter's rights too
Old September 17, 2009, 10:50 AM   #30
BigJimP

LIke I've said - I'm a choke changer - on an O/U or a semi-auto it doesn't matter. In a Semi-Auto I will primarily shoot an IC but ....

one thing to remember - is you can't take a choke for its face value / you have to measure the bore vs the choke restriction / and while I may use the same set of chokes in 4 or 5 guns .... the bores may be a little different / so the effect of the choke I select is a little different.

I would suggest you take your gun and chokes to the pattern board / and test them after you measure them - and if you can't measure them, then test fire them and evaluate them and see what you get for a pattern - and test them with some new shells / and test them with your primary reloads - and see how they look ......
Old September 17, 2009, 11:05 AM   #31
oneounceload

I have guns with chokes - most of my shotguns came that way. Rarely do I change them, depending on the course. I have shot the three closest to me enough that I know one takes IC/IC, another takes SK/IC, and the third takes IC/LM or IC/M. In each case for about 90% of the targets. (There's always one or two stations where more open or tighter MIGHT be a little more beneficial)

That said, IF I was going to order a gun, then it would be for a particular purpose. Whatever that purpose was, would determine what fixed chokes I would specify.......now if I could just hit the Powerball.....
Old September 17, 2009, 11:21 AM   #32
koolminx

OK, here's the thing...
Quote:
I've watched guys bird hunting with bow and arrow and they seem to have more fun than is legal in most states. It's the only time I see people giggling and high-fiving over an "almost" hit.

About my Pardner... It was made in 1989 I believe.. Checking the barrel now...

No threads..... BUT!~

It's a New England Firearms gun, model is PARDNER SBI (or SDI-I forget...) 12. Gau. 3" Mod.

Does that mean that my barrel tip is SMALLER that the beginning of the Barrel in the breach? Is the Neckdown/Choke Built into the gun?

koolminx
Old September 17, 2009, 11:25 AM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds like you have a modified choke (constriction) so yes, the muzzle area is smaller than the rest of the bore. You have a decent "all around" gun that many of us would have no problem using from Dove to Deer and everything in between.
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 11:26 AM   #34
oneounceload

If there is no removable choke, and it is not a plain cylinder bore, then yes, your gun's choke is part of the barrel - "built-in" so to speak.. While you could mic it to determine true constriction, calling NEF is probably faster and easier
Old September 17, 2009, 11:29 AM   #35
koolminx

NEF was purchased by someone in the 1990's and they're hard to get a hold of...

Shooting slugs through a smooth bore choked 12 gauge is ok? I got a box I was going to shoot golf balls with...
Old September 17, 2009, 11:46 AM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes a no sabot slug through a smooth bore shot gun up to and including *full* is safe and fine. Your MOD. may be ideal actually.
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 11:50 AM   #37
oneounceload

Quote:
NEF was purchased by someone in the 1990's and they're hard to get a hold of...
NEF, H&R were bought by Marlin, who is now owned by Remington. You can call marlin for information
Old September 17, 2009, 11:51 AM   #38
koolminx

What is a NO SABOT SLUG? Or did I read that incorrectly?

This gun is FUN and gorgeous to boot, here's a pic of my Pops holding it for me!

It's HARD on the shoulder! I can shoot 100 rounds through a mossberg 12 gauge pump to 20 rounds of the Pardner....
Old September 17, 2009, 12:01 PM   #39
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I meant non-sabot... Regular old slug style is good.
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 01:02 PM   #40
koolminx

What is the difference and which is better for what purpose?

Grooved slug in non grooved barrel? (There are shotguns out there with grooved barrels right?)
Old September 17, 2009, 01:09 PM   #41
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The grooves on a slug are to seal for gas pressure while allowing the slug to swage down in the various chokes safely. The sabot slug is a smaller "bullet" like slug in a 2 piece "sabot" of plastic. In a rifled barrel the rifling imparts spin on the sabot that leaves the "bullet" upon exit and the bullet flies in a spiral for a longer range accuracy.
To me the difference is a more expensive gun firing slugs at 10+ dollars for 5 compared to a sub $200 gun firing slugs that cost $10 bucks for 15...
Your gun is ready for the latter...
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 02:01 PM   #42
oneounceload

That gun WILL be hard on you, especially if you're shooting slugs and buckshot.......It's VERY light, the slugs/buck are heavy and moving very fast - together equals major OUCH. IF you're going to shoot heavy loads, get it to the correct LOP WITH a good recoil pad on it. That should help immensely.
Old September 17, 2009, 03:19 PM   #43
LanceOregon

Quote:
But oif the folks I know who shoot a semi, 95% stick a LM in the pipe and forget about it

More anecdotal over-generalizations on your part.

I sure would hate to shoot at your range. Your descriptions make it sound like a simply awful experience. The crowd I shoot with gets together on Sundays for organized shoots and we always have some good sized groups that go shoot together. We all have a real fun time and chat and socialize all throughout walking the course. While it is competitive, and people naturally want to shoot well, we are also there to have fun together as a group.

If the guys you shoot with are behaving to such an extreme where to avoid distractions they cannot even change a choke tube, I can only imagine what a dreary and totally unfriendly atmosphere it must be like.

It sounds worse than attending a funeral to me. Certainly not my idea of fun.

--
Old September 17, 2009, 04:28 PM   #44
oneounceload

*** is YOUR problem Lance?

Quote:
I sure would hate to shoot at your range. Your descriptions make it sound like a simply awful experience. The crowd I shoot with gets together on Sundays for organized shoots and we always have some good sized groups that go shoot together. We all have a real fun time and chat and socialize all throughout walking the course. While it is competitive, and people naturally want to shoot well, we are also there to have fun together as a group.

If the guys you shoot with are behaving to such an extreme where to avoid distractions they cannot even change a choke tube, I can only imagine what a dreary and totally unfriendly atmosphere it must be like.
Actually everyone in our groups have a lot of fun - they just don't need to worry about it like it seems you and your group does. Sorry if you really feel another .005 is gonna make you a M class shooter

It isn't the arrow....it's the Indian.

Most shooters that I shoot with have enough confidence in their capability that constantly changing chokes isn't necessary
Old September 17, 2009, 05:27 PM   #45
BigJimP

Lance,

I think you're out of line -- you make too many of these discussions personal when people don't agree with your opinions .....

OneOunce and everyone else don't need me to defend them / but give it a rest Lance - you can post your opinion, without making it so personal...
Old September 17, 2009, 05:54 PM   #46
oneounceload

Thanks BigJim......

It's OK not to agree with someone, personal attacks do not belong here Lance.....grow up or move on