The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 2004, 01:42 PM   #1
AutoCrasH

Theoretical ponderings...

Hey guys,

Just a couple of questions that have been floating about in my head through classes today...

1. Is the trigger group on an 1100 / 11-87 similar in function to an 870 (or identical..)? And if it is, and someone where to modify the disconnector to function similar to some old model pump-guns (ie. streetsweeper style Ithacas: hold trigger and pump) what would happen?

2. If I wanted to use a box magazine in an 870 style gun, would it be possible to remove the shell carrier and insert a box magazine through the loading port (properly mounted of course) so that the bolt strips a round off the magazine and loads it with each cycle? (allowing for possible modifications to the breech face, such as an extension on the lower edge to push the shell out.)

Yes, I know, I really should focus on dynamics, but, you know, these things happen... Thanks in advance,

'Crash
Old October 4, 2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Casp_A

Quote:
...what would happen?
you'd go to federal prison.

2. Yea, Knoxx Industries makes something like that for the Mossy 500, but I hear they kinda suck. I believe there was a thread earlier where they were complaining about those.
Old October 4, 2004, 03:00 PM   #3
AutoCrasH

Quote:
you'd go to federal prison.
...yeah, that's why it's a theoretical question, but I'm mainly wondering if it would work similar to the old ithaca trigger group

Quote:
2. Yea, Knoxx Industries makes something like that for the Mossy 500, but I hear they kinda suck. I believe there was a thread earlier where they were complaining about those.
...The magazine that Knoxx makes replaces a portion of the magazine tube on the MB500, thus necessitating the odd handle as well as leaving the internals intact... What I'm wondering about would modify the internals, removing the shell lifter completely (and converting the existing magazine tube into an incredible waste of space...)
Old October 5, 2004, 01:40 AM   #4
carebear

you could carry pencils, small change for snacks or a rolled up picture of dear old ma in that tube.

Wasted space my butt.
Old October 5, 2004, 05:22 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

In theory, it'd work, but....

It's highly illegal.

And it's not very effective. Shotguns are very hard to control in full auto fire.

And doing all the work would not go cheap either.
Old October 5, 2004, 08:15 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Don't know if anything ever got finalized but Knoxx was also working on a conversion for the 870. This conversion would be permanent though, unlike the 500 conversion. The 500 conversion is a bolt-on proposition so it is easily changed back and forth from box magazine to tube and vice versa. The 870 modification required that you send the receiver to Knoxx so they could modify the front of the receiver to accept the conversion kit. There was welding and cutting involved IIRC.
I had a 500 kit on order for about a year and a half but cancelled it out of frustration on not receiving the kit. I originally ordered it at the 2002 SHOT Show. I finally cancelled my order about a year ago after hearing all sorts of excuses over the months as to why it wasn't ready.
Old October 5, 2004, 09:57 AM   #7
AutoCrasH

Quote:
In theory, it'd work, but....
It's highly illegal.
Yeah, I kinda figured that, I'm not actually going to do it, I was just wondering if the same type of modification would work for both (I don't even know what the modification is... ) ...it was just something that popped into my head while sitting in class yesterday...

Anyone have any further insight regarding the box magazine? Is what I described what knoxx was planning to do for the 870? (ie. different from MB500 system)

Thanks for the insight, guys!