The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 31, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Optical Aids...even for us young bucks...

I have been looking into optical aids for the long range sessions my wife and I attend. I don't wear glasses, but I do wear safety glasses.

As the day goes on when I'm shooting pistols, my eyes start to fatigue a little. I don't have a hard time focusing on the target then bringing up my sights to acquire aim and focusing on the front sight. Where I DO have issues is that both of my eyes want to fight for dominance. I've found that I'm left eye dominant and I shoot right handed. However, the dominance of my left eye is not THAT dominant.

I don't know if this is true or not for others. But, in a way, I think it's a good thing to be able to use either eye for shooting. However, when fatigue sets in, they start fighting each other. Not so good.

To get to my point, I've surfed around for optics and Brownell's have some that range from $20 to $65. They suction to your glasses and it seems to be a glorified peep hole.

1. Do they work for you?

2. Are there others out there that may be a better product?

3. Is this just a band-aid and need to change my practice techniques on my eyes?

I know that the easy way out is to keep my range time down, but I would like to find a way to excercise endurance. The reason is that my wife and I really like to spend time this way and we are seriously thinking about going to training courses on a regular basis that are easily 8hrs. a day for several days. We don't want to lag behind like an out of shape runner in the Boston Marathon.

Thoughts, please...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 1, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2
gandog56

I find that I love Crimson Trace Laser Grips. That way I only have to focus on the dot on the target. It is about the only way I can force myself to shoot with both eyes open. You don't mention what guns you use so I can't tell you if they make a model for your particular favorite. If your gun(s) have rails you have many more laser options. There are also Laser Max's which replace your guide rod, but I don't care for them as I don't think you can adjust them.
Old November 1, 2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

The primary pistols are service model XDs and a Springer Loaded. Rifles in use have both iron sights and one that's scoped...

One of the XDs is equipped with the Streamlight TLR-2. I like it a lot. However, I don't want to use the laser as a primary aid. Thanks for your suggestion, though...

Old November 1, 2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Eghad

If your eyes are fighting each other...

right handed..right dominant eye

Go to a store and buy a roll of the frosted scotch tape and put it over the non dominant left eye lens.

The peephole will give you better definition of the sights. It works like a camera lens that you close down the aperture so that the far and near stuff is all in focus and not blurred.

If you have 20/20 vison you will probably be okay with the scotch tape trick.

NRA Life Member
Old November 1, 2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I do have 20/20, thankfully. I think the tape idea will be very easy and an extremely cheap experiment.

Quote:
If your eyes are fighting each other...

right handed..right dominant eye

Go to a store and buy a roll of the frosted scotch tape and put it over the non dominant left eye lens.
Are you saying to put the tape completely over the left lens or make a peephole out of the tape?

Actually, I'm ambidextrous. However, if it means anything, I normally write and wrench with my left. Normally use right on sports activities. I can use either, but out of habit this is my routine. Shooting is right handed primarily. Is this what you were referring to?

All the tests refer to me being left eye dominant, but not a very strong dominance.

Old November 1, 2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Eghad

no peephole.... solid

If you want to get even more technical just cut a small patch of scotch tape and hold your gun out like you are shooting. Close your right eye and open up your left eye and aim the gun like you would normally shoot. Have another person stick the small patch where it obscures your vision of the sight with the left eye. ( Just don't let him stand in front of the gun

It will exercises your right eye to get it used to doing the work.

or just get some lip balm and put on the lens...However, the downside is if you have a pair of prescription lens$$$ or $$$$ sunglasses the dust might stick in the lip balm and when you wipe of your glasses it might get scratched.

NRA Life Member
Old November 1, 2007, 10:01 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Thanks, Eghad. I'll give it a try when I do to the range next...