The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Venom1956

Lucked upon a .22 H&R at the shop!

As you know H&R is the PREMIER .22LR double action trigger pull experts.

I found a slightly beat up H&R Sportsman 999 and got a deal that I couldn't pass up. I've always wanted a top break something or other and any other 999 i've found they are wanting some big money for what they are.

So I check what I could but obviously there isn't much in common with solid frame revolvers. How do you determine what is acceptable 'wiggle' between the top and bottom? Is there anything else I should inspect?

the bore, cylinders, and extractor all looked fantastic so I could get past the exterior. I'll toss some pictures up in a bit.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 13, 2013, 10:44 PM   #2
MQP

V'1956,
If it is accurate, it is tight enough!
My 999's shoot as well as my K 22's.
Please, let us know.
MQP
Old January 14, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Sevens

A top-break H&R in .22LR has been on my "need one!" list for a while. I haven't yet found one that I was happy enough with to snag...but I intend to.

I want to know what you mean when you said this:
Quote:
As you know H&R is the PREMIER .22LR double action trigger pull experts.
Was this humor? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to figure it out.

H&R could maybe be referred to as the "rimfire top-break experts" but I'm not sure they were experts in anything else... or anything at all. The double action pull of these revolvers rival a...Iver Johnson, maybe?! Certainly not a Smith & Wesson, a fine Colt, etc etc. They are neat guns, I absolutely want one, but H&R was never really known as a high-dollar gun maker.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

is the gun new enough ( pics please ) that you can safely shoot 22 lr in it ???

I have several, mine are all old enough, that I shoot Super Colibri's in them... if it older, they are very easy to wreck, shooting modern ammo in them...
Old January 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Venom1956

Quote:
Was this humor? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to figure it out.
yep it was sarcasm. =P

Pics soon!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 15, 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Venom1956

Old January 15, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Venom1956

She's no beauty queen but I think she'll clean up well. Most of the wear is on the right side of the gun. tried to get lighting that picked it up the best.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:08 PM   #8
djcantr

There's beauty to be had in a gun that has character as that one does. Clean it, oil it and shoot it!
Old January 15, 2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Sevens

That wear shown in the pictures seems VERY common from all the H&R's I've looked at when searching for ones at gun shows. My guess is that it's a cheap finish and the damage is likely caused by the revolver being left in a soft, foam case. The soft foam cases that are good for transport are BADBADBAD for storage as the cheap foam attracts and holds moisture. They kind of ensure that your handgun is laying in it's own private little wet spot.

I will likely end up with one that has a similar finish, with similar damage. Not my first choice, but I'll take one if function is good--even better if the finish damage is reflected in the price.

You found a neat revolver!
Old January 15, 2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Venom1956

yep I've seen stuff like this on guns stored in soft cases/foam. I personally feel that this one was a 'sock drawer' gun because the left side is FAR worse the the right. Right seems more inline with normal wear that developed rust over time. Where as the left seems to be the side pressed into fabric that held the moisture...
Old January 15, 2013, 03:52 PM   #11
publius

I actually like the condition. You won't worry about hurting it and can use it as intended, a utility field gun. I want a 999 too.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:39 AM   #12
Winchester_73

Venon 19 whatever it is,

Did you happen to get any other revolvers while there? Maybe a revolver so great it is referred to as a masterpiece? Hopefully this H&R did not get too jealous! Hopefully the gun will clean up, but you did good anyways. There are more H&R collectors than people realize. Some H&Rs bring good money even though many people discount them. It all depends. I don't know them really well.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:07 AM   #13
alex0535

The more I look into these the more I want one.

I might aim for one in slightly better condition, but if everything seemed to function alright enough I would be perfectly ok with with a bit of wear. In many respects, a gun that seems well used probably shoots really well.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:20 AM   #14
CajunBass

Those are fun guns, and were well thought of back in the day.

Keep an eye on the screws that hold the rear sight in place. They are known for coming loose, and allowing the rear sight to drop out.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 16, 2013, 03:07 PM   #15
Venom1956

Quote:
Did you happen to get any other revolvers while there?
You know what I did. It was more of a gift though... I haven't gotten to clean it up yet so no pictures until then. worry not!
Old January 16, 2013, 03:37 PM   #16
BoomieMCT

My 999 is my favorite .22 pistol. I shoot it better than my heavy barrel accurized Mk II or my friend's S&W 617. I'd love to get a second one.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:32 PM   #17
lunger

I bought mine new many years ago. Did a dumb thing back then threw it in the glove compartment when on a fishing trip. Did not know there was a sharpening stone in there. Scratched the crap out of the barrel.A retired gunsmith I met was blueing some of his own parts and polished the barrel threw it in for $25.Didn't quite match the original but mutch better. Second dumb thing not having him do the whole thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 028.jpg (253.1 KB, 17 views)