The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 29, 2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Help, calling raccoons.

I have been wanting to try this for a while.
How long, typiclly, should I call per setup?
Should I leave the light on the whole time? (night calling, scope top light)
Any other tips or pointers will be welcomed.
Thank you
Old January 30, 2008, 12:54 PM   #2
davlandrum

I never knew you could call raccoons...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 30, 2008, 01:34 PM   #3
billythekid007

This only what i have herd... but I also have wanted to try this...

Place an electronic call right outside a den... via a tree hole, burrow... anywhere you think they might or know they live.

So you have got the call placed.. not get back about 20-30 yards and have a shotgun and or I would support open sights. but if you have a scope obviously... it would work. I have herd once you start the caller that they will come charging out... then you just have to pop em before they get away...

The call I would use would be rodent squeaks, bird distress, a predator call with "small" sounds...

Hope this helps...
Old January 30, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
billythekid007

Also... I just looked back and saw you want too do night calling... I do this a lot, but I have called up like 2 coons in a year... I think I just happen too see them. you will call fox, cats, yotes. Use a red head light, shotgun, call. I usually will stay on one stand for 45 min or so. I have had yotes come up within 3 min and 1 hour...
Old January 30, 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
taylorce1

I've never called a racoon in either, but they sure are fun to hunt if you get a good dog. Have a friend that used to have a good old hound dog and we used to spend all night treeing them down on the creek. Even ran a few up power poles. Dogs really are the best way to hunt them.
Old January 30, 2008, 03:31 PM   #6
birdshot

johnny stewart wounded bird

been a few years back, down around Yokum, Texas, a couple of buddies and i put on a wounded bird, 45rpm, gives you an idea of how long ago. it was a full moon, clear night, along the banks of Brushy Creek. we had several racoons racing in. my buddy with the 1100 got three with three shots. it was pretty exciting seeing them come in, can not remember the total, but it was more than three. we also had an owl swoop by at another set. i remember hearing a whish or maybe it was a whoosh, looking up in time to see a great horned owl right over my head as he back pedaled.
Old January 30, 2008, 11:11 PM   #7
piercfh

Where are you located? If you want to kill racoon's find someone with a good coon dog and take them. If you really have thick coons you should be able to kill several a night, and you will have much more fun that way.

Try the coon hunting forum on this website www.ukcdogs.com, and I guarantee you will find someone that would love to help you out.

Just shooting coons without treeing them with a hound seems like such a waist if you have ever hunted with hounds. Who knows you might just start something you really enjoy. There's nothing like the adventure!

Old January 30, 2008, 11:14 PM   #8
L_Killkenny

Go over to http://www.predatormastersforums.com...ubbthreads.php

Go to the section labeled varmits. That site is where all the big boys of predator calling hang out and there is loads of info.

LK
Old January 30, 2008, 11:16 PM   #9
Blacktail_Slayer

Thank ya all. I live in southwest Washington state, not many people here hunt small game, except for waterfoul.
Old January 30, 2008, 11:20 PM   #10
piercfh

Just checked to see if there were any competition hunts up around there, and there is atleast one club that hosts ukc competitions. The guys that head up that club have their info posted so here it is: Contact Jorge Martinez (971) 219-8891 Libby Wentz (503) 722-1558

I guarantee they can set you up with someone that can help you kill all the coons you want. I just hate to see a bunch of coons go to waist.

good luck