The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 5, 2005, 09:18 PM   #26
lcgriff

I'm going to have to go with Monco on this. I too think it is sad when a person is in such despair that they see suicide as the only alternative. I get as mad as the next guy when someone willfully tries to harm a LEO and I think all criminals need stiff sentences, even death. Having had a close family member commit suicide, you see how much hurt it causes your family because you are in no way prepared for it. Both the action of shooting a cop and commiting suicide cause a great deal of pain to both families.
Old April 5, 2005, 10:18 PM   #27
univtxattorney

A lot of people are sad...

But they don't go around killing or maiming cops. If you are going to eat a bullet, at least have the courtesy to kill yourself and not try to take a police officer who works to protect you and your family. Remember, this cop would have taken a bullet to protect this guy. Remember that when this guy's family goes to bed, it is this cop that is protecting them. Remember that this cop performs a heroic service for little pay. Remember that the perp. is the one who caused all of this pain, for both his family and for the cop's. Remember all of these things when you are weeping for the perp.
Old April 6, 2005, 06:52 AM   #28
fwcofficer

I don't feel the least bit sorry for that BG. He made a decision and had to deal with the consequences. I do admire the fact that he realized his life was over, and did not put more stress on the legal system. If the cop that got shot was your family member, you would be singing an entirely different tune.
Old April 6, 2005, 07:26 AM   #29
monco

Quote:
How noble. I find it absolutely amazing that people can get so teary eyed over a murderer and only think of the innocent victim as a tossed away afterthought. Truly amazing.
Not an afterthought at all. The video of Cerna shooting himself was the subject of this thread.

Quote:
He gave up (forfeited) his life when he took the life of another without just cause.
Justice would have been life in prison. Try reading next time, tough guy:

"The circumstances behind this video took place on 19 December 2003, when 47-year-old Ricardo Alfonso Cerna was stopped for a traffic violation at about 9:30 A.M. in Muscoy (a residential suburb of San Bernardino County, about 60 miles east of Los Angeles). Cerna fled the scene (in his car and then on foot) before shooting the pursuing officer, sheriff's deputy Michael Parham, twice in the abdomen. (Deputy Parham survived the shooting.)"
Old April 6, 2005, 07:32 AM   #30
monco

Quote:
I'm going to have to go with Monco on this. I too think it is sad when a person is in such despair that they see suicide as the only alternative. I get as mad as the next guy when someone willfully tries to harm a LEO and I think all criminals need stiff sentences, even death. Having had a close family member commit suicide, you see how much hurt it causes your family because you are in no way prepared for it. Both the action of shooting a cop and commiting suicide cause a great deal of pain to both families.
Agreed. There's a lot of tough-talkers here...remind me of the kid in the movie "Unforgiven", who was just aching to shoot someone, but found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be when he finally had to.
Old April 6, 2005, 08:20 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Sure, feel sorry for the families. That is fine, but that doesn't mean you need to feel any sorrow for Cerna himself.

A lot of people can't separate out these aspects and somehow think that just becasue there isn't love lost for some bad guy such as Cerna that there is no care for his family. So while it may be a horrific thing for Cerna's family, much of society can benefit from his removal.

As spacemanspiff said, weep for the innocent. However, Cerna himself was not innocent. No tears there.
Old April 6, 2005, 08:24 AM   #32
FirstFreedom

Unbelievable that they didn't find the gun when patting him down, given that he was arrested *for shooting at officers*. And it's a full-sized steel gun too. Lucky the lowlife decided to do the world a favor and off himself instead of killing one or more officers.
Old April 6, 2005, 08:31 AM   #33
OF

Quote:
There's a lot of tough-talkers here...remind me of the kid in the movie "Unforgiven", who was just aching to shoot someone, but found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be when he finally had to.
You've got alot to learn if you think that comparison is apt around here.

If you'd stow the contempt, quit stereotyping and open your ears a bit you might discover that you aren't the only one in here who 'understands' what this is all about.

The high horse is not always the best place to sit when you're trying to have a conversation.

- Gabe
Old April 6, 2005, 08:40 AM   #34
monco

GRD - Please...I didn't say everyone. There's a lot of testosterone flying around in these forums, whether you choose to ignore it or not.
Old April 6, 2005, 09:49 AM   #35
haskell

This has nothing to do with tough-talkers or testoterone. It is a conviction that a BG is a BG, and your not going to find a lot of sympathy because he took the quick way out. Had he not shot a LEO, we all would be typing about fiearms (I hope) I'm starting to get the urge for a an old s&w .32 long. model 31-1 3". This handgun thing, what a great addiction.
Old April 6, 2005, 10:41 AM   #36
OF

Quote:
There's a lot of testosterone flying around in these forums,
One, you say that like it's a bad thing and, two, just because no one is shedding a tear for the dear departed doesn't mean we're heartless and cruel.

You could just as easily see the comments as 'worldly', 'stoic', 'pragmatic', 'objective' or even 'realistic'. It could also be said that you are being overly sentimental rather than we are being callous. The guy tried to kill someone, after all. Survey says: good riddance.

- Gabe
Old April 6, 2005, 11:56 AM   #37
spacemanspiff

hey has anyone seen my testosterone? it flew right offa me before i went home last night. gotta be around here somewhere.......

Old April 6, 2005, 12:32 PM   #38
OF

LOOK OUT! <ziiiiing!> there it goes now...

That was a close one. Anyone got a net?

- Gabe
Old April 6, 2005, 12:57 PM   #39
Duxman

So much for the effectiveness of the "Mexican" carry. That was a full size 1911. This guy was not exactly tall nor large. How he hid that effectively should be the mystery here.

Now, that being said, the LEO lived to fight another day (good news) and the BG ate a bullet. (sad that a human life was wasted, but then again it was self-inflicted)

If someone does not care enough about themselves to live on, why should the rest of us shed a tear.

Sucide is a selfish, cowardly act. Hey, sorry to break it to you buddy, but whether it was a bad guy or a family member who killed themselves they did it because they cannot face the reality of their lives, or some past action that they did.

Life is precious, those who decide to waste it like this, deserve no sympathy. Do you think they decided to save money so that their family can pay for the funeral, or that their kids would be provided for?
Old April 6, 2005, 10:36 PM   #40
Fred Hansen

Spiff if I told ya once I told ya a thousand times you gotta keep better track of that stuff! How are you going to be a #1 ninja if that keeps happening?
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old April 6, 2005, 11:06 PM   #41
spacemanspiff

i'm sorry. do i get a time-out?
Old April 6, 2005, 11:56 PM   #42
redhawk41

well, that video put to rest the TV myth of brains and stuff splattering all over the room.

spiff's testosterone, now that's a different story ...

and i would bet that the interrogating officer, the first thought in his mind was "my god he could have shot me"
Old April 14, 2005, 04:41 AM   #43
accordingtome

im just glad this guy took his own life and not a bunch of cops.. what a nutjob
Old April 14, 2005, 02:53 PM   #44
Unique 5.7

DoubleNaughtSpy - Yes, there is Darwinian selection here for at least 2 reasons.
1. Whether he has children or not, he will not be contributing any more to the gene pool.
2. If he has children, their survival chances may have been slightly reduced. Therefore, their chances of gene contribution might have gone down.
Darwinian selection is not about all or nothing with just one sample, it is a generalized statistical winnowing with the population as a whole as the level of analysis.