The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 17, 2013, 09:37 AM   #26
Garycw

AK or SKS

I think everyone needs at least one(1) AK and 3 or 4 SKS's. preferably 3 or 4 stock SKS's and at least two , 3 or 4 sporterizrd with Monte Carlo stock/ scope and a couple heavily modified with adjustable folding stock, bi pod, red dot, drop bolt mag modification., pictany rails,she'll deflectors, muzzle brakes etc. they are a blast to shoot.& .25 cents @ round. Great for plinking, hunting & defense. Sks's are addicting!
Here's a cpl paratroopers, YUGO & a pair of Norincos.
Anything changed can be restored to original except for one.
Right now I have 5 original/ 3 modified and of course 1 AK. Under folder
Ps.. Nice looking SKS Model18

Old October 17, 2013, 10:41 AM   #27
Sheikyourbootie

Living in a Magazine restricted state, here in The Peoples Republik of Kommifornia...I have considered getting an SKS at some point...just because.

I have an AR (with bullet button), and an M1 Garand...but an SKS seems to be a Kommifornia legal option for some range shooting fun.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:32 AM   #28
Opinated

Thanks for all the responses to my original inquiry. Individual has SKS for sale, a bit on the pricey side. Claims that is was purchased new and fired just one box of ammo. So I drove over 60 miles one way. Folding stock which he said was replacing the original wood which he threw away. Made in China. The (just one) magazine is at least 20 rounds. But it is extremely (an understatement) difficult to lock into place and rather difficult to remove, even for the owner. Considering the price, I declined to purchase.
So are SKS magazines typically like this? Do you agree with my non-purchase decision?
Old October 17, 2013, 12:06 PM   #29
Garycw

AK or SKS

OP I would agree with your decision and no the mags are NOT hard to get in or out. As long as bolt is locked back it goes in & out easy. The bolt mod is easily done shock will let you put in & out with bolt closed but don't recommend on matching #'s gun. The fact that he threw the original stock & mag away is absolutely crazy!! And raises red flags IMO. If it was cheap enough say $275 range you could have probably fixed it. Most likely the replacement stock needed a little trimming.
Keep looking for a all original or at least with all original parts included.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:27 PM   #30
Que

Either way you go I would wait a bit longer. The bottom has already started to fall out from under on the SKS and prices will soon start to fall on the AK. AK's in general are especially high right now.

BTW, why do I make that prediction? I have noted that the rifles for sale that I see carried over shoulder the most by attendees at the Knob Creek machine gun shoot (not vendors) have peaked in price and are about to fall. This year it was AK's, by far.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:33 PM   #31
Garycw

AK or SKS

I wouldn't wait too long. I think the SKS has gone low as there going too. Unfortunately Another SH like event will drive everything up and possible out of circulation.
Old October 17, 2013, 01:04 PM   #32
model18

Thanks, Garycw....................good shooter. I mostly shoot it benched with 5 rnd. mags!
Old October 17, 2013, 01:09 PM   #33
Opinated

Interesting about the bolt locked back. The only time I saw the bolt locked back was with the empty magazine inserted. And closing the bolt in that case was similar to the M1-- push down on the follower with the thumb while holding the bolt back slightly. So how to lock the bolt open on the SKS without magazine inserted?

I did like the safety for the trigger-- easily confirmed and operated without looking at it.
Old October 17, 2013, 01:54 PM   #34
Garycw

AK or SKS

The bolt is released by simply pulling slightly on charging handle and it releases and closes with mag removed.
To hold bolt open without mag in place- pull bolt back & push up catch with index finger through the bottom of mag well. It's really easy. In a bubba'd non matching SKS , you can take bolt out of rifle and grind off the outer bottom lips of bolt in the middle, then you can put mag in or out with bolt closed. Loaded or unloaded. Makes life easier. Either way, they're great guns.
There's a few YouTube vids of the SKS bolt mod. Takes about 5 min that anyone can do
Old October 17, 2013, 02:02 PM   #35
Que

Quote:
I wouldn't wait too long. I think the SKS has gone low as there going too. Unfortunately Another SH like event will drive everything up and possible out of circulation.
I would agree that the SKS has about bottomed out. The AK's have a long way to go.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:09 PM   #36
Gbnk82

Yeah bolt mod is a must on a non matching sks using detachables..with a dremmel you can do it very fast i used a file on mine took a few hours but works great.there are no negatives to the mod either even if you decide to go back to a fixed mag there are no ill effects.i persoanlly think this makes the gun safer also if using detachables as youi are then able to drop the mag if you had to clear a live round so you dont risk a jam fire if your hand slips off the bolt.but as stated above i dont reccomend doing this ona a original macthing number sks.
Old October 17, 2013, 04:21 PM   #37
Opinated

Looked at several of the YouTube videos. Not sure that all of them presented sound advice.
One mentioned adding a spring to the firing pin, what I would call a rebound or retracting spring. No one showed how to do it or where to buy it, but it seems to me to be a good idea. Is this a part that can be bought and easily installed?
Old October 17, 2013, 04:38 PM   #38
ttarp

Unnecessary, but if it give you greater peace of mind go ahead. To replace the firing pin you simply have to punch out the retaining pin and the firing pin will slide right out. Here's one place of many to purchase the spring loaded firing pins.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod24637.aspx
Old October 17, 2013, 04:59 PM   #39
Screwball

AK or SKS

Have both... got the SKS first due to state restrictions making AKs harder to get.

I like the last shot bolt hold open on the SKS, but the AK (WASR, in my situation) is more versatile. Once those PMAGs come out, and someone starts blocking then to my state's limit (15), I'll be set.
Old October 17, 2013, 05:27 PM   #40
Garycw

AK or SKS

You can get the Murray's firing pin and many do BUT as mentioned its not necessary to prevent slam-fires. As long as the gun is not extremely dirty, gritty & gummed up you'll be fine. When you clean just make sure the firing pin rattles ( or slides freely) these rifles are built like tanks and take a lot of abuse. I have no Murray's firing pins and never had a slam fire.
Here's a vid on bolt mod. I prefer grinding off just the middle section rather than taking the entire outer lips off. I don't care for his cheap gun comment in beginning, but he does a good job on bolt. It's very easy to do and not a precise science.
http://youtu.be/RR0DxstGqJE
Old October 17, 2013, 05:34 PM   #41
P5 Guy

I had a Bulgarian AK but without the choice of full auto I personally see little benefit to the full 30 round capacity and more of a hindrance prone shooting.
I still have my Soviet SKS in as issued condition. Easier to shoot off the bench and in the prone position.
An SKS for me.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:00 PM   #42
Justice06RR

If you want a basic, reliable rifle and don't intend to modify it, while at the same time save some money, the SKS is a great choice. Find one in good condition for under $400 if you can. Look for a Russian SKS, or an un-issued Chinese SKS (Norinco).

Now if you can spend a little more (around $600+) and prefer to modify your guns and use a detachable magazine, then the AK is a clear choice. I'd stay away from WASR AK's though, they're way overpriced right now for a basic AK.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:12 AM   #43
Beretta686

Quote:
I'd stay away from WASR AK's though, they're way overpriced right now for a basic AK.
They're certainly overpriced right now, but if you can find one for around $500 it's worth it. They certainly aren't the best AK out there. But if you're just looking for an AK to have an AK (like me), it's not a bad gun.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 19, 2013, 02:02 AM   #44
okiewita40

Having shot a select fire AK back when I was in the military and then an SKS. I can tell you that IMO an SKS is the better rifle. YMMV.

For me the SKS has better accuracy and just a tad more range due to the 20 inch barrel vs. the 16 inch barrel on an AK.

The AK does have more toys for it and is easier to scope and modify.
Old October 19, 2013, 03:12 AM   #45
Guggmeister

AK or SKS

SKS is nicer looking. Both are accurate enough. AK is more reliable. I got both.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:56 AM   #46
bill-may

considering that in califistan and are limited to 10 round magazines i love my T56 SKS and my chinese bra that holds 220 7.62X39 on stripper clips. when we get "no removable magizines" as law then the AKS will become a dinosaur until the bill of rights is restored in our constitutional republic.
Old October 19, 2013, 08:04 AM   #47
Opinated

Apparently the SKS that I declined to purchase has been bought by someone else. The ad has disappeared.
Old October 19, 2013, 03:47 PM   #48
Garycw

AK or SKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinated View Post
Apparently the SKS that I declined to purchase has been bought by someone else. The ad has disappeared.
I'm sure you'll find another one & hopefully better. If at all possible , find one original or At least with all the original parts included. In just curious what the asking price or agreed price was?? Chances are the stubborn mag was a Minor adjustment fix.
Old October 19, 2013, 03:56 PM   #49
SR420

I prefer the 7.62x39 AK, but only if it has all the ninja tact-cool stuff hanging off it.
Old October 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #50
Opinated

I now believe that the mag problem was mostly due to the closed bolt. YouTube leads me to believe that unmodified SKS must have bolt open to insert mag. Plus another YouTube shows fellow with file working on poor fit of steel high-cap magazine for the SKS- with success.
I think the owner and myself knew far too little about that rifle at the time we were looking at it.
Will think about whether to post the price. Looking at one on Gunbroker that may go for about $100 less after shipping and local FFL are added.