The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 25, 2013, 01:28 AM   #1
fuzzie-boy

high standard 22 cal semi-auto spring change info request

Aloha, everyone! hope all is going well. here in hawaii it has not only become a case of what you are willing to pay, but what kind of ammo is available. Is there anyone that can explain how to replace the recoil and firing pin springs on a high standard citation 10-X?? it seems the only kind of 22 ammo available now are the cheaper high velocity blazer types and stronger springs might go a long way towards protecting the gun parts. thanks in advance.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Tortuga12

There was a gentleman on the RimfireCentral.com High Standard forum that did it, just had to send him the slide. He passed away recently, I believe someone is picking up the torch, but don't know who. I'm sure if you ask over there, they can help you out!

As far as springs, I hear a lot of people using the Wolff variable rate recoil spring.

As far as ammo, good std. velocity can be difficult to find locally. I ended up ordering a couple of bricks of the lower grade Eley stuff. BassPro has some of the Remington branded Eley, and Remington target .22. The latter is VERY dirty, I only shoot it when I have no other option. In any case, be prepared to spend more than you would on bulk pack. NOTE: Federal Automatch is still considered "high-velocity".

With all that being said, my 1st gun was/is a High Standard Supermatic Citation (E. Hartford), muh pappy gave me. I probably put 1.5k "high velocity" rounds through it before I learned about the frame cracking issue and stopped. YMMV. My "insurance policy" was to just by a Ruger MkII to plink with, those things are pretty much indestructible! Got the cheapie base model, 4.75" tapered barrel, fixed sights. With the right ammo, almost as accurate as the High Standard, although the trigger is nowhere near as good.