The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
ngzcaz

How about Weatherby ?

Don't see any posts about Weatherby. Interested in either the PA -08 or the SA-08. I was all set to get one and then I read an article in a mag that said it was just so-so. Several other mags had it a great inexpensive weapon. No one has trashed it so I'm thinking it can't be that bad. Great looking wood, so much better than other makes its hard to believe. Guess I'm just not ready for synthetics yet..
Old June 3, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
zippy13

I read a favorable review on the SA-08 about two years. I'm guessing, some shooters may object to the power level selector. Yet, the Remington super-mag has a similar thing with their barrel seal activator and nobody seems to care. The review's author opined that, at $499, it was a good value for a Turkish made, entry level shotgun. The problem is, Weatherby's MSRP is now $799! So, if you decide on one, shop around.

I agree with you, I prefer wood on a shotgun. IMHO, the wood shown on the Weatherby site's SA-08 is not even close to the old school Weatherby guns.
Old June 4, 2012, 02:45 PM   #3
BigJimP

Current Weatherby's ...made in Turkey ....are a far cry from the guns that were made 25 yrs ago under the Weatherby name...in my opinion.

Things change ......
Old June 4, 2012, 04:37 PM   #4
ngzcaz

There's no question if we were talking about the original Weatherby 300 Mark V magnum. The one I fell in love with and swore if I ever made it to Alaska on a brown bear hunt on Kodiak Island that's the rifle I would be carrying.. but...

We aren't. Were're talking about one of the most inexpensive shotguns around, something I can afford. And if its the best in its price range, well so be it.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:57 PM   #5
oneounceload

Weatherby, like Churchill, is resting on its laurels and the accolades of decades past when they had quality makers make their guns and they were considered some of the finest in the world. While they are still a marketing firm, they are mere shells of what they were and are now only interested in selling something, ANYthing, to make a profit - regardless of company reputation

For me, Weatherby is a "buyer beware" company - one in which you really better understand everything about it and the gun in question before you buy
Old June 4, 2012, 05:29 PM   #6
BigJimP

If you didn't want a straight answer ....and your mind was already made up on which pump gun you were going to buy .....then maybe you shouldn't have asked.

Its only my opinion ....but you should buy whatever you want.

And you didn't ask - but, in my opinion ....the best all around pump gun for the money is a Browning BPS Hunter model with a 28" barrel ...selling in my area new at around $ 575 even though its listing for $ 659 in a 12ga or 20ga....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...2&tid=211&bg=x

but if you think the Weatherby is a better value ...then that is what you should buy.
Old June 4, 2012, 06:00 PM   #7
ngzcaz

Easy does it big fella.. no reason to get a bit feisty. I looked at my post and didn't see anythng in it that implied I was getting a Weatherby come hell or high water. A discussion is when there is an exchange of ideas and opinions. And frankly I didn't know there was a Browning available that was w/in $ 100 of the Weatherby. My son's was over a grand. So I will check it and thank you for the post.

On a related note if anyone saw the current Outdoor Life, they happen to test rifles and shotguns. Unfortunately they didn't include the Browning. They did give high marks to an Akkar but strangely that was the only 28 gauge in the whole shootout. All the rest were 12 gauge. Out of seven shotguns tested, the Weatherby was the least expensive ( list $ 499 ) and the most expensive a Fabarm XLR5 ( list $ 2885 ) A better test for me at least would have been 7 shotguns under a thousand ( well under ) So while I enjoyed the article I really didn't get a whole lot of info regarding stuff I could afford.
Old June 4, 2012, 06:30 PM   #8
BigJimP

Ok, maybe I mis-interpreted your comments...sorry about that...

Browning BPS Hunter model lists for $ 659 ...the link I sent you is off the Browning website...and prices are current / but now there are other models of the BPS ...but even the BPS Trap model only lists at $ 800 ...so a BPS model at $1,000 or more ..is hard to imagine..../ but the BPS model is the only pump shotgun that Browning sells. Even Cabelas doesn't sell the Browning BPS for full list price....at least not in my area.

Browning sells a number of shotguns ...listing at prices well over $ 3,000 ...in their Citori line of guns ...but that's a whole different thing / when you get into "target grade" O/U's. Even the entry level gun in the Citori line ...like the Lightning models - are fine guns / but even used these days, they command at least $ 1,000 and new they're a lot more.

Even though I have a number of expensive shotguns...there is nothing wrong with the BPS Hunter models ( I still have the BPS Hunter models I purchased new in the late 70's early 80's in 12ga and 20ga....) and they've both still very solid guns ...with maybe 300,000 shells thru each of them at this point ...and while today, I use them mostly as training guns for new shooters ....they both lived thru my 2 boys ...and a number of my grandkids.

Here are my pair of BPS's...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...2&d=1226363017

The other pump gun - that I consider a classic ...is the Remington 870 Wingmaster ...not the express, etc...but the full blown Wingmaster version of their 870 pump guns...its comparable in quality to the Browning BPS..but its more money these days.

The only other pump gun I would consider personally would be the Benelli Nova...but its more money than the Browning BPS as well....

--------------
But we all have budgets....good luck in your search / have some fun with the process ....maybe get out to a club where you might find some of these guns and talk to other owners.
Old June 4, 2012, 06:48 PM   #9
ngzcaz

I sould have stated my sons Berreta is an A-5 semi, not a pump. I guess they are a bit more. Sorry for the confusion. One " test " for me is when I swing it to my shoulder and if it feels " right " if you know what I mean. My Italian 16 ga SXS is the best I've ever had. Maybe its the 26 inch barrel. If only they would produce as many choices for 16 ga ammo as they do the 12 and 20 I may not be looking at all. It seems to have been fading over the last 20 to 30 years. Thanks for the input.