The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
9mm

Beretta 92fs firing pin block jammed up,fixed now

So I was at the range today, my gun went click, click, click, when I had a round chambered. I notice the firing pin block was standing up. I asked for some help, they cleaned my gun up, blasted it with air, I also sprayed oil in there.

My question is, this a common thing? not proper cleaning leads to this? it moves very freely now, and I plan to lube it often.

It didn't want to go down when I pressed it,(before the cleaning) and there was like heavy grease on it.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Grapevinebill

I have a brand new 92FS with only 200 rounds through it and have not experienced any issues firing the gun. I did have an issue with the lock block while cleaning the gun just yesterday. My issue was the block seemed to jam up when I removed it. It simply was caused by the plunger being pushed in. Once I pulled it out the block freed up.

You tube has several good videos on the 92FS and you can learn a lot there. Personally, I always field strip and clean my guns immediately following firing them regardless of how many rounds I shot. How many rounds had been through the gun that leads you to ask if cleaning could have been the cause?

I am sure someone with more knowledge and experience will come along and let us both know what the answer is, until then good luck!
Old September 20, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
AustinTX

I've never seen it or heard of it.

How new is the gun? Maybe some factory Cosmoline found its way into the firing pin channel? Are you putting oil in the firing pin channel?
Old September 20, 2011, 10:09 PM   #4
9mm

Quote:
Cosmoline found its way into the firing pin channel
That was the heavy grease stuff.

It works fine now. I remember seeing dark brown grease (cosmoline, reminded me from my Mosin Nagant) on the firing pin block.