The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2001, 03:16 PM   #1

which shotgun hold the most shells??

which shotgun holds the most shells. any links would be great!
Old October 25, 2001, 03:30 PM   #2
scouter27

Street sweepers hold 12.

Old October 25, 2001, 04:04 PM   #3
lunde

For conventional shotguns in factory configuration, perhaps the Benelli M1 Practical with 8+1 capacity is the winner.

Old October 25, 2001, 04:32 PM   #4
Sergey Podgirin

A 20-ga Saiga-20K holds up to 12rds while it is only 24" long. A 12-ga Saiga-12K has almost the same length, but it has maximum mag capacity of 8rds.

I've also heard about a USAS-12 South Korean 12ga autoloader which can use 25rd drums, but I've never seen this awesome thing "alive".
Old October 25, 2001, 05:16 PM   #5
Cavè Canem

I was gonna say the Mossberg 590 until I saw the other ones.
Old October 25, 2001, 06:44 PM   #6

thanks for the info. what do you all think of those short slugs that are maybe 2 inches or so. they let a few extra slugs be held in my 870 [or so i am told] but are for close range only.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:42 PM   #7
PJR

Choate sells an extension that permits 10 shots total (9 in the tube, 1 in the chamber) for an 870. It requires a 26 barrel. It makes for a pretty heavy and unwieldy package but if you want more firepower this might be the easiest way to go.
Old October 25, 2001, 08:45 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

Short slugs.

I tried the Aguila Minishell slugs in my Model 20 J.C. Higgens. Feed and function good. Made a six inch hole in a car door with nine fast ones at 50 yds. Holds eight in the tube and one in the chamber. Many pumps and autoloaders won't feed them. I got lucky. I don't agree with the "close range only" thing.

Every shotgun is an entity unto itself. You never know how a load will perform in YOURS untill you have tried it.

Sam
Old October 25, 2001, 09:04 PM   #9
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

South Africa’s Neostead had a capacity of 14 with 2-3/4-inch shells. Two tubular magazines sit side-by-side on top of the barrel. Magazines can be fed consecutively or concurrently. Mossberg reportedly looked at making here, but then decided not to when the Street Sweepers were declared as NFA weapons due to their drum-fed magazine capacities. Too bad, it was a neat design. On the other hand re-training my brain would have take forever with the Neostead as the action locked when the slide was racked to the rear--exactly opposite of what Americans are used to.

Denny
Old October 26, 2001, 12:07 AM   #10
Benjamin

Yep, it's the USAS.

I got to play with one, briefly. Fun, but useless. While it is well balanced even with a full drum, it's too long and the muzzle rise is WAY to pronounced to use in a 'social' situation.
But it was FUN.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:46 AM   #11
Sergey Podgirin

Not concerning high-capacity magazines but something about Neostead-type guns.

I never had a chance to try a Neostead, as far as this gun still seems not to be in production, but I was happy to fire a few hundred rounds with Russian Neostead-type shotgun which is called RMB-93 'Rys' and which uses the same concept.

RMB-93 was created as an entry gun for Russian HRT. It has an overthebarrel tubular 6rd mag, double-action-only trigger group. "Rys" is reloaded in a vis-ver-ca mode with the barrel pupmed "forward-to-rearward". This gun was very good made, but this concept seems to be sick. The barrel is situated lower than in any of shotguns I know, so the muzzle lift is very small, but the recoil is much harder than in any other 12-ga shotgun. I dont know if Neosteed has a DA or SA trigger, but "Rys" has a DAO one and any precise shooting is impossible. Combat uploading the magazine is impossible either, at least in a convenient way I used to upload some rounds in the mag of a "classic" pump. Finally I agree with Denny Hansen: retraining the brain from "rearward-to-forward" to "forward-to- rearward" seems to take forever. Because of all these problems Russian HRT guys don't use RMB-93 and prefer KC-23 4-ga pump-action or Saiga-12K 12-ga semiauto.
Old October 26, 2001, 07:57 PM   #12
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Sergey,
Welcome to TFL. Thanks for the update on the Russian RMB-93 'Rys' version of the Neostead.

Denny
Old October 26, 2001, 10:17 PM   #13
Lightsped

Yep, the Mossberg 590 and 590A1 have 8+1 capacity as well.
Old October 26, 2001, 11:02 PM   #14
MiniZ

I believe the highest capacity in a readily available and reasonably priced shotgun is the 590/590 A1.

Zane
Old October 26, 2001, 11:14 PM   #15
Coronach

Saigas

How spendy are the full-capacity magazines for the Saiga-12 and Saiga-20s? I was under the impression that you were pretty much limited to low-cap mags for them...

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 27, 2001, 12:10 PM   #16
Benjamin

Coronach - last time I saw them available, the 5 round 12 ga. mags were a hair under $40. Unfortunately, 5 is the cut off point for civillian legal mags in the USA.
Old October 27, 2001, 12:54 PM   #17
Sergey Podgirin

Saiga mags

Well, here in Russia the situation with Saiga mags is a bit different. All Saiga shotguns are shipped with one or two 5-rd mags. Extra mags are available in almost any gunshop. The price of "IzhMash" brand 5-rd mag is about $10, "IzhMash" brand 8-rd (both 20ga and 12ga) - $20, "Prodis" commercial 20ga 10-rd mag - $15. Most "Prodis" mags have actual capacity of 11 or 12 rd, but loading them with more than 10 rounds is illegal for civilians, as using civil weapons with magazines capacity over 10 rounds is prohibited. Though "Prodis" mags have higher capacity I prefer to use "IzhMash" brand 8-rd mags as they are more compact and much more durable.

Best regards,
Sergey Podgirin
Old October 27, 2001, 09:38 PM   #18
dZ

Wes at soupbowl enterprises is working on a 10 parts american Sagia 12 gauge that will take high caps
http://www.soupbowl.kalashnikov.guns.ru/

here is a link to some Rys images:
http://home.tula.net/tularms/hunt_sgen.htm
Old October 27, 2001, 09:39 PM   #19
Coronach

There is something vaguely wrong about a Russian citizen being able to own a 10 rnd mag and an American not being able to do so. The world has undergone a strange inversion.

Mike

PS The problem is here, not there. I don't want to come off as trying to offend Mr. Podgirin. Just making that clear!

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 28, 2001, 03:55 AM   #20
Sergey Podgirin

For Coronach.

My humble opinion is that it is not a problem of Russia or US. We also have here pretty much stupid restrictions concerning firearms ownership. For example non of Russian civilians can legally own a handgun. No exceptions. Most people can rent a pistol for practice in the shootingrange. Private security and detective companies can purchase handguns. But civilians can not! Nobody cares that in the same time Russian civilians can legally own, carry and use any subcompact 12-ga semiautos, Streetsweepers, Franchi SPAS 15, AR-15, SVD, SKS, SR-25, almost any rifle or shotgun but not a handgun. Frankly, this pisses me off, but nothing can help. As I've said this is not a problem of a single country, idiot antigun regulations exist anywhere in the World. :-(

Respectfully,
Sergey Podgirin.