The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2010, 01:56 PM   #1
jal5

Transforming 9mm Luger to 9mm Mak brass

I am using 9mm Luger brass to convert to 9mm mak. The most tedious part is after trimming them down to 9x18 doing the in/out chamfer on these little cases. I am trimming using Lymans Accutrimmer. I only have a small hand chamfer/deburring tool and the short cases don't fit flush with the cutting end for the outside case mouth deburring.

Any suggestions to speed up this part of the process? I am deburring the inside of the case, then flipping the tool over to put the case inside using a long tweezer to hold it inside while I debur the outside case mouth.

Hope that makes sense!
\
Joe
Old July 15, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
keebo52

I use a lee case trimmer setup for 9 mak in a cordless drill and a lyman deburring tool. Just secure the case in the shell holder (chucked in drill), trim, champher/debur and remove. Easy as can be.
Old July 15, 2010, 04:31 PM   #3
dlb435

I don't know if this is going to work out. The base of the case is smaller in the MAK 9mm. You could have trouble loading the mags and getting the extractor to work reliably.
Old July 15, 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I just deburr the insides of the trimmed cases, and let the carbide sizing die take care of the outside edge the first time I load them.
Old July 15, 2010, 05:17 PM   #5
keebo52

Quote:
I don't know if this is going to work out. The base of the case is smaller in the MAK 9mm. You could have trouble loading the mags and getting the extractor to work reliably.
They work just fine in my CZ82 and PA63.
Old July 15, 2010, 05:37 PM   #6
vladan

I stopped deburring with chamfer/deburring tool, now I use Lee base that can be chucked in drill chuck and the simply use steel wool on the mouth of trimmed case when the case rotates.
Old July 15, 2010, 08:54 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
Any suggestions to speed up this part of the process?
Yeah, it's tedious.

Some kind of powered tool, is my only suggestion.

I've got 3 or 4 hundred 9x19 cases converted. It should hold me for a while. You might want to mark them with a sharpie, to distinguish them from unmodified brass.

Quote:
small hand chamfer/deburring tool and the short cases don't fit flush with the cutting end for the outside case mouth deburring.
Not sure what you mean here.

Quote:
It works just fine.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 15, 2010, 10:21 PM   #8
jal5

The chamfer/deburring tool is a really small size, Lee I think. I can do the inside of the small cases easily but the outside of the mouth is a problem since I can place the case in the tool but cannot hold it in there securely enough to remove the burrs. I really need the appropriate case holder for the Lee tool part that chucks in the drill like some of you have described.

Anyone got an extra case holder for the Lee tool? I am working on 150 pcs. so it does get tedious. Yes I am marking them with a sharpie.

Joe
Old July 16, 2010, 08:06 AM   #9
lee n. field

OK. I myself use the Lyman tool, which is plenty big enough.

Hmmm. Lyman's chamfer-deburr accessory looks like it might be a time and hand saver.

I should see if it would work on my RCBS trimmer.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 16, 2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Starline makes good, and relatively cheap, 9mm Mak brass.

I looked at converting a bunch of 9mm Luger brass years ago when Dad got his Mak, but then Starline announced it was going to make the Mak case.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:18 PM   #11
jal5

thanks Lee I didn't realize Lyman had those accessory heads for their trimmers. I think i will order one.

Joe
Old December 29, 2010, 06:13 PM   #12
jal5

update: Lyman trimmer accessory

I purchased the Lyman accessory for all their case trimmers to use on a large batch of 9mm cases that I trimmed down to 9x18. This thing is a winner, makes the task very simple and the deburring accessory should work on any caliber up to and including 45s. go to this page to see the accessory.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...-tool-main.php

Joe