The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2008, 09:15 PM   #1
azwizard

ROA Conversion Cylinder

So the UPS truck finally showed up this afternoon with my conversion cylinder from Midway. I ordered the R&D cylinder and the paper work said it was from Taylor & Co.. Functionality looks really simple so long as the cases don't get stuck in the cylinder.

Problem though, The cylinder drops in fine but seems really tight when trying to index the cylinder to the next round on about 3 chambers. It cocks a tiny bit hard on two chambers then a little harder for the next two and finally the cylinder has to be helped to cylce to the last one before the cycle begins again.

The cylinder/barrel gap looks ok, I.E. can see light thru it on all chambers, haven't tried the feeler gauges yet but not seeming to hang up there.

I've read that the cylinders have needed to be ground down a little, does any one have any pictures that could illustrate where they had to remove metal from to get a good fit?

Any help would be Great, Thanks
Old May 20, 2008, 05:31 PM   #2
grymster2007

Your post reminded me that I recently stated my R&D cylinder had dropped right in. Not entirely true; I now recall that it did require just a bit of reaming of the pin bore. The pin would not pass all the way through. I reamed the bore to a snug slip fit with the pin and the revolver has worked fine. Maybe the pin bore on your cylinder is a little tight? Also, if the pin is not straight and the bore is not round or is of insufficient diameter to compensate for the fact the pin is not straight, may also account for your troubles.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:20 PM   #3
KW-Bane

I bought an R&D for my .36 cal '51 Colt Navy. I had a minor problem with the cylinder not locking in place when at full cock. I fixed the prob by grinding a little bit at a time on the pin that contacts the cylinder to turn it (the name of the pin escapes me...brain fart). It works fine now even after 300 or so .38spcl wadcutter rnds thru it.

I also bought one for my '58 Rem .44 cal and it dropped in with no troubles. I put 1000 or more rnds thru it and it still shoots fine.

Both were the drop in type without moding the gun with the loading gate and case ejector. I was thinking of doing the complete mod job myself but opted to get the drop in's only instead.

To be honest, when I first bought them I was expecting more troubles than what I had.

It seems I was lucky as well.