The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Tanzer

Powder Question

I recently got a good deal on 1000 bullets. 9mm 125gr lead round nose. I reload with Win 231. My Lyman's catalogue does not list this bullet specifically. The closest I can find is 125gr RN FMJ. Starting load 3.9gr and maxing @ 4.4.
Does anyone have the actual stats on this bullet?
Thanks in advance.
Old March 22, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Don't know. You didn't say whose bullet it is? Most will be about the same in the same weight class, but exceptions occur for shapes that seat more deeply into the case. Usually powders a little slower than 231 are used because they produce more velocity for the same peak pressure. Go to Hodgdon.com and use the first link to enter the load data sight. After you get into the metalic cartridge data portion of the site, select 231 from the list and 125 gr for the bullet weight and 9 mm Luger for the cartridge then hit the Get Data button. You get a couple of loads for different shapes and lengths. I believe your data is in the ballpark. 3.9 grains seems to be a starting load.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3
swmike

My Lee "2nd Edition" shows 4.0 gr of 231 as a "do not exceed" load for the 124 gr Lead.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old March 23, 2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It's a little perplexing, but despite lower start pressures, some lead bullets have been observed to cause higher chamber pressures, in revolvers, in particular, than equal weight jacketed bullets. Seating depth difference due to shape difference may play a role, though some chambers are probably just filled more solidly by a bullet that bumps up. The limit of 4.0 grains strikes me as low, but should be tested. Certainly with jacketed bullets it doesn't contain as much energy as a military ball load. That would take slightly over 5.0 grains with this bullet.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
matt9052

You should never use the data for jacketed bullets for lead bullets. fmj bullets can travel at a higher speed which is what the load is made for, although a pistolround isn't really fast enough to be to big of a difference. What kind of powder are you using? I looked on the alliant wbsite and powder was different for each.
Old March 24, 2007, 12:44 PM   #6
CrustyFN

Speer #13 data is 9mm, 125 gr LRN, 231, 3.8 start, 4.1 max, OAL 1.130.
Rusty
Old March 25, 2007, 05:33 PM   #7
lgsracer

The Lyman Pistol & Revolver Handbook 3rd edition

lists a 125 grain cast Lyman 358093 with a load of 3.2 to 4.2 using 231.