The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2007, 06:52 PM   #1
KeithB78

Has anyone bought a Lee Loadmaster bare press from Midway?

What all comes with it?

I take it no large or small primer feeder systems, but does the large and small primer punches come with the bare press?

Thanks
Old December 19, 2007, 08:45 PM   #2
williamd

Call them ... good folks, and will go over every detail with you.

From MidwayUSA's site --- www.midwayusa.com

Lee Load-Master Progressive Press Kit xxx
The Lee Loadmaster Progressive Press reloads both rifle and handgun cartridges and features a large, 1-3/4" diameter ram with a stroke clearance big enough for even the largest magnum rifle cases. It can be used as an automatic indexing progressive press or as a single stage press, and its five stations accept most popular reloading dies. Dies are held by a detachable turret that allows them to be removed and reinserted without adjusting. Includes PaceSetter Dies, Perfect Powder Measure, Universal Charge Die and case inserter (not case feeder).

Technical Specifications & Use

Average Customer Rating:

Read the Review(s)
Used this Product? Rate It

Package Size
Application Charts & Information
Product #: 618843
Manufacturer #: 90922
Our Price: $215.99

Should Ship Next Business Day
99% of Orders Placed by 4:00 p.m. CT
(Monday-Friday, Except Holidays) Ship Same Day.

Quantity

Add Product to Wish List

Send this Page to a Friend

Master Catalog #30 2007 Page: 314
Old December 19, 2007, 10:10 PM   #3
rwilson452

The primer "punches" are part of the primer feeder system. they don't come with the press.

I didn't see a turret on the list williamd posted. Ya sure need to ask about that. you will want one for each cartridge you load. losts better than changing and setting dies each time. you may need different shell plates also. The 45ACP, 308, 30-06 and those based on those cases use the same shell plate. As I recall, shell plates are about $20 each. I haven't bought one in some time. I still have a couple of turrets around from some someone gave me.
Old December 19, 2007, 10:21 PM   #4
rwilson452

I would also suggest the Lee RGB die sets for rifle and the carbide 4 die sets for pistol.

If you want get more expensive get the delux die set it adds the collet neck sizing die.
Old December 19, 2007, 10:35 PM   #5
KeithB78

I have Lee carbide 4 die sets for all my handguns
Old December 20, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Greg Di

Keith,

I had (operative word being "had") a Loadmaster setup. After six months of tinkering with it, I returned the whole kit and caboodle to Midway for a $463 refund (that's now much Lee stuff I sent back!).

In theory, the Loadmaster looks great for the price. I just could never get it to work right despite really wanting it to work.

I learned my lesson.

I would hate to see a fellow reloader learn the hard way like I did.

YMMV
Old December 20, 2007, 10:33 AM   #7
KeithB78

Thanks

I will stick with my Dillon 550B and the Lee 4 hole turret for tinkering

If i want a second progressive later on, i will get the Hornady LnL
Old December 20, 2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Greg Di

Keith,

That's exactly what I am doing. Replacing the Loadmaster with a Hornaday LnLAP and KEEPING my Lee 4-hole turret for "tinkering"

Great minds think alike. Too bad I wasted 6 months of farting around!
Old December 22, 2007, 09:20 AM   #9
PsychoKnight

Same Here.

Sold LoadMaster after 13 years of intermittent misery.

Got a LnL AP, some startup hiccups cuz I shoot the "other" 45, but very reliable for the 9 months since, once I figured out the changes.

Looking for either a Lee Classic Turret or Single on the cheap for pulling bullets and working up loads, or fixing goofed batches. These things are selling great, but hard to find on the used market - tells you people want to hold on to them. (All 3 presses, LnL, Tur & SS)
Old December 26, 2007, 03:26 AM   #10
totalloser

Mine works fine. I roll out 900 .223 in an hour (including trim on a dillon trim in the turret). 1500 .40 or .9mm and about 1000 in .357 sig.
This doesn't include going over goofs later (maybe one in 30-40)
Don't blame the machine. It works if you set it up right. Takes patience. Download the videos from Lee's site, they are awesome for helping in the initial setup. www.leeprecision.com Look before you buy, it's tricky and not for everyone. AND TAKE YOUR TIME! I know its hard... was for me!
When I first started using it I had lots of problems, but I steadily eliminated them due to operator/setup error and flex in my bench. Oh, except for some burrs on the primer feeder.

I should note I have never used another type of press. Just saying mine works.
Old December 26, 2007, 11:39 AM   #11
Greg Di

I have to call a Bravo Sierra on you Total. Unless you have the light of God shining down on you, there is no way you are loading 900 rounds per hour of 223 on a Loadmaster. It only holds so many cases, powder, primers etc...

I cannot fathom the most pristinely setup Loadmaster (or any progressive) going that hard and fast without issues and hiccups that slow you down.