The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 25, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1
CjAl

Yugo Tok from J&G

Has anyone seen the tokerev's that J&G is selling? site says they are shipping with two mags. Anyone know if that's true and know the quality?
Old November 25, 2010, 09:03 PM   #2
RJay

? If they say they are selling them with two magazines, why wouldn't that be true???? Yes I've seen them, they are on a par with any others thats up for sale, they all come from the same source
Old November 26, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
CjAl

SOG still had them listed with two mags, holster and cleaning rod when I ordered mine. What I recieved was the gun and one mag.

But I tlkedto J&G today and they confirmed. UNfortunatly they are one of the ones who will not take a C&R license through fax or email
Old December 1, 2010, 05:55 PM   #4
kenjoe45

I got mine in Sept. and it was in mint conition with two mags. You order can custom 9 rd mags from Custom Classic Sporting Arms for $29.00 which will work in the Yugo M57 Tok.
Old December 2, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5
pesta2

Quote:
they are one of the ones who will not take a C&R license through fax or email
None of them should be taking them that way, you need to send an copy that has been signed, by law.
Old December 2, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
dogtown tom

My Yugo Tok M57 from J&G arrived yesterday:
-Very nice condition (I did not pay extra for "handpicked")
-Two magazines (one well used, the other looks brand new)
-Sticky with cosmoline
-clean, shiny bore
-one small ding on the right grip panel
-Leather flap holster in good condition (no broken stitches or cracked leather. It will clean up very nice with some saddle soap)

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 2, 2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Hardcase

Quote:
None of them should be taking them that way, you need to send an copy that has been signed, by law.
The ATF ruled in 2005 that faxed FFL copies satisfy 27 CFR 478.94. Email has been approved since 2007.
Old December 4, 2010, 06:30 PM   #8
ks_wayward_son

kenjoe...thats good to know about the 9 rd magazines. The original Yugo mags have been very rare and command a premium as everyone is probably aware.
Old December 4, 2010, 11:40 PM   #9
kenjoe45

I bought five and they fit fine. How not fired any rounds from them yet.
Old December 5, 2010, 09:00 AM   #10
cougar gt-e

Quote:
Laws are always updated and changes happen. Do try to keep up before posting potentially misleading information.
Old December 6, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11
pesta2

Quote:
The ATF ruled in 2005 that faxed FFL copies satisfy 27 CFR 478.94. Email has been approved since 2007.
Good to know, I have not purchased a C&R in a while and they always had me send in the copies and told me by law you could not fax them.
Old December 13, 2010, 08:22 PM   #12
raftman

Just got mine. They're indeed shipping with 2 mags (plus a cleaning rod and a holster). The quality of the gun is every bit as good as any of the other Tokarevs (probably better than the Romanian ones). I did pay the hand select fee. The gun like new in appearance, as are both mags and the holster. It shoots just as well as any of the others and is totally reliable. There's a few differences from the originals, but still a great gun and at the $199 price, it's a steal.
Old December 13, 2010, 09:03 PM   #13
emcon5

Quote:
What the law allows and what dealers will accept are two different things.

Some dealers (Century is one example) will not accept a faxed copy of an (03) FFL, presumably because they cannot verify it on ezcheck.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:38 PM   #14
essohbe

Carefull...

My Yugo Tok came from SOG - same damn thing J&G has but they decided, right after I ordered one, that they aren't going to give people 2 magazines anymore.

On top of that, mine is not accurate at all. In fact, it sucks. Aim straight and the bullet will hit something 3 feet below the target @25yds. Maybe to the left and right also.

These are a gamble, some Toks have wider barrels. I still have to slug mine to see what it is. I know it has to be bigger than it is supposed to be because no other handgun I've shot performs as bad as this Tok.
Old December 15, 2010, 01:15 PM   #15
raftman

Quote:
My Yugo Tok came from SOG - same damn thing J&G has but they decided, right after I ordered one, that they aren't going to give people 2 magazines anymore.

On top of that, mine is not accurate at all. In fact, it sucks. Aim straight and the bullet will hit something 3 feet below the target @25yds. Maybe to the left and right also.

These are a gamble, some Toks have wider barrels. I still have to slug mine to see what it is. I know it has to be bigger than it is supposed to be because no other handgun I've shot performs as bad as this Tok.
Sounds like maybe, possibly you got a bit of the "bait and switch" treatment from SOG, I know of at least one other person who ordered their Yugo Tok from SOG (this was like 6 months ago) and was notified last minute after placing their order that they'd ship with only one mag rather than two. If you got yours considerably more recently, the implications become clear.

As far as the accuracy thing goes, there's a faint hope that there may still be too much cosmoline in the bore, which may be affecting accuracy... I've heard reports of accuracy improvement with a more thoroughly cleaned bore. I guess, the other thing you could do is swap out the barrel. I dunno how available Yugo barrels are, but I've heard the barrels are interchangeable with other Toks (Polish, Romanian, etc).

Last edited by raftman; December 15, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old December 15, 2010, 03:56 PM   #16
jag2

Same here, but I don't think they did anything wrong. They told me when I was placing the order what I would get. You are buying military SURPLUS, they can't order more from the factory. They ran out of holsters and short of mags, simple as that. They and J&G purchased new lots and are offering the whole package again. Mine shoots terrible also, I haven't tried to remedy it yet
but the condition was excellent so I hope I can at least get it better.
Old December 15, 2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Icopy1

Bought mine from SOG when they offered two mags for $189. The guns shot low at first b/c I kept pulling the pistol downward due to the very, very heavy trigger. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, it's combat accurate.
Old December 15, 2010, 05:54 PM   #18
raftman

Quote:
Same here, but I don't think they did anything wrong. They told me when I was placing the order what I would get. You are buying military SURPLUS, they can't order more from the factory. They ran out of holsters and short of mags, simple as that.
I wasn't actually saying SOG most certainly baited and switched, but that it's possible. If you were told before you ordered that you were getting a gun and a mag and you got a gun with a single mag, then that's all well and good. But unless I am misinterpreting what I'm reading, there are those who ordered a gun advertised as coming with two mags, only to be told after placing their order, that the gun would come with only one.

Sure you have the opportunity to back out and say "Screw that, if it doesn't come with 2 mags, I don't want it!" but many if not most people will say, "Well, it's almost what I wanted, so ok, I guess I'll take it anyways." just to avoid the disappointment of not getting anything at all.

Now if SOG just ran out of spare mags and didn't see that coming, and for a brief period said to those who placed orders, "Sorry guys, looks like we're out of spare mags so the gun you're getting will come with just one" but then immediately changed the ad accordingly then there's really nothing wrong with that I suppose. It's quite possible that you run out of something before the ad can be changed, especially if you're selling a large variety of things. If, however, for several months they've been saying "sorry guys, we're out spare mags" without changing the ad, then it seems like they were doing the bait and switch routine. It depends on the timing.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:32 PM   #19
jag2

Raftman, I agree with you. I THINK I ordered right about the time they changed. I had bookmarked the page and that's what I pulled up when I
was ready to order but I also tried going to their main page and followed the path the pistol and it did show just the one mag and no mention of a holster. The order taker did take it upon herself to make me aware of what I was getting. That may explain part of it. Hey, it's a nice gun for less than $200.
Now if I can just hit something with it.
Old December 26, 2010, 09:46 PM   #20
CjAl

I had to wait till after Christmas but I did order another one today. I love these and have a few.
Old December 29, 2010, 03:11 PM   #21
CjAl

Got the gun today. Not as nice as my other from SOG. Not bad but a good bit of holster wear and the bore has some pitting the holster is nice but the spare mag is junk. Can only load 8 rounds, it doesn't feed worth a darn and it won't hold the gun open
Old December 30, 2010, 04:06 AM   #22
gyvel

And the moral of the story, oft retold, is NEVER buy anything from J&G that you can't examine in person first.
Old January 5, 2011, 06:54 PM   #23
htmn2468

I ordered a M57 Tok from J&G not hand select pistol is in great shape 2 mags holster and cleaning rod. holster shows wear not abuse gun is clean no dings and honest holster wear.